NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Rudy Tomjanovich was a good (All-Star) player and won two rings as a coach.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

speaking of doc rivers....

Sources: Doc Rivers, Clips interested

of course you must take this with a grain of salt.... because #sources#chrisbrussard#shit-thrown-at-wall :p

still... river's coaching the clips? aaaaaaaaawwwww sheeeeeet! west is wide open baby. also sparks the rumors that there could be a coach rivers/pierce/garnett mega trade for bledsoe/jordan/draft pics/ect to the clippers.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Although they probably all fall short of superstar status as players, Don Nelson, Jerry Sloan, and Doug Collins all could be said to have had fairly successful playing and coaching careers. I don't know how Lenny Wilkens was as a player.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    wilkens was solid, not great. i wonder whether it's not actually easier for an average player to become a great coach than a great player ... average players have to know the game so much better just in order to stay employed. great players can cruise on athleticism.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think there's something to that. I recall reading that during Ted Williams' stint as a manager, he would become easily frustrated by his players' inability to do things that came easily to him.

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Also had some guys named Jordan and Kobe on his team!

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

no doubt. but 11 rings? fun game: what's the worst team (best coach?) to win the nba title?

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

In every championship, there will always be that big superstar so the argument of Phil having MJ/Pip & Shaq/Kobe isn't really something you can use to discredit him. I mean look at the Bulls team, Rodman was only on the second half of that dynasty but the centers were Carthwright, Perdue, King, Longley, Wellington, etc... I think they might be one of the very few champs that has no legitimately spectacular or good or even recognizable center.

In recent memory though, the 03-04 Pistons might be the best coached team w/o a Superstar? You can say the team just gelled together and the honestly, almost all the starting 5 only made the ASG that year because they were so good together but the biggest star was Billups and Sheed and those aren't really isn't in the realm of Kobe or LBJ or MJ or even Dirk or Duncan.

Also helped that the Lakers imploded that year but you can't deny Larry Browns coaching of that team.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

yeah, that detroit team played really well togther. that was also the year the lakers tried to buy a championship and everything fell apart.
    what about more recently the 2011 Mavs? that was basically nowitzki and a bunch of role players. was Carlisle that good? then you've probably got to go back to the rockets in 1995. hakeem, yeah, but kenny "the jet" smith and clyde drexler in decline? Rudy T?
    looking at the list, it's pretty amazing to realize again how a few teams have dominated: since 1990: 6 bulls, 5 lakers, 4 spurs, out of 22 possibles.

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I can't watch the game tonight. prolly just as well because current work stress is through the roof, and I don't want to deal with more

[email protected] - weren't you a Thunder fan the same time this year?

it's funny because all my out of town friends were messaging me after game 2 saying how awesome the Heat looked. can't overreact to game 2 the same way you can't overreact to game 3 - no matter what side you're on. but if the Heat lose tonight, they're done

11. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

ftfy

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I don't know if Drexler was on the decline in Houston, dude was still 22/7/5 that year. The team had Cassel, Ellie, Thorpe, etc... Unknowns now but that team still had 2 big names in Olajuwon and Drexler. Plus they had a legitimate big man that dominated, that is just way too common, you know? A big man was almost always necessary to win a chip so it is more impressive when there isn't a big man there.

Mavs does come to mind but Longley and Wellington makes Chandler look like Shaq in comparison. :lol: The team still have Jet, Marion and Kidd (though really not the Kidd in his peak anymore but still averaged 8pts/8ast). Oh an Peja, I think he pretty much destroyed the Lakers in the last game of that series and sent Bynum in to a spiraling full tackling Barea mid-air. I'd put Piston team over this when it comes to better coached team that won a chip.

Takes nothing away from Carlisle or Rudy T but they still had legit Superstar and future HoFers, I am not sure anyone in the Pistons team is a legit HoFer outside of Billups (and even this one is a longshot) and might just give it to him to honor that championship year. I guess Ben Wallace can be put to the HoF with his rebounding and shot blocking/defense.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I really think they should do away with the 2-3-2 format, it is a big disadvantage to the team with the better record. I get it that it is your fault if you can't defend your turf but if you lose one at home, you are pretty much ina huge disadvantage/doomed with the next 3 games away, even if you can steal one in an away game, that is still a lot to overcome.

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

yeah, that and there ain't no fucking way Pop is gonna lose 2 in a row at home or 3 in a row anywhere

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Well the Spurs only lost a back to back game twice this whole season so yeah the odds aren't in your favor.

Heat hasn't lost a back-to-back since January either so at least there is a good chance they could get that win today.

Cliché: Just got to take it one game at a time.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013