1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I hire interns for shit like this, but ok, I'll humor you. And pretty much every 'superstar' gets this treatment. And yes, you called me an idiot, but I'll let it go this time, asshole.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10.html?nav=ArticleList

Section XIV-Traveling
    a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
    b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
    The first count occurs:
    (1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
    (2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
    The second occurs:
    (1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
    c. A player who comes to a stop on the count of one may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
    d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot.
    e. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with neither foot in advance of the other, may use either foot as the pivot foot.
    f. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player's hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.
    g. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.
    h. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.
    i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.
    PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the sideline, nearest spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.

For the rest, I see exorbitant leniency. It's probably not the SF approved fact check mafia evidence you seek, but I'll simply point to his bitch face after every single call and that fact that last year he, an NBA player that plays 40 mins a game, went 6 games without a foul. I recall reading a mathematician that said this was a statistical impossibility... wish I could find it for you but my latest intern wouldn't appreciate wasting his time on your rolling laugh face emos.

No. I think everyone knows you get 2 steps after you gather the ball. I think that many players not only get 3 steps, they get a very, very liberal interpretation of what gathering a ball is. Gathering a ball, to me is catching a pass. Lebron lovers seem to think its catching a pass, a step to settle their body, then 2 more steps (sometimes 3) to shoot... its that 2nd step that's devastating in this scenario because the player with the ball basically becomes an NFL running back against defenders anticipating that legal last step being their last. Mr superstar catches so many guys in the air on this fallacy and it looks like a defensive foul when in reality its a travel.

The 3rd is harder to see...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Argue this *7* stepper (which is actually 2 separate travels):

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

And more:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6 step tango:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Further viewing for the unconvinced:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

My favorite to great Asian Pop music:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8tuy-9qLPc[/VIDEO]

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I loved Van Gundy's reaction when he found out about LBJ's foul history. :lol:

"You mean to tell me James has only fouled out 5 times in his entire career? That intense of a player? Hmm.."

1 person likes this.
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

4. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

Haha. And if every superstar gets this treatment (on pivots and catching the ball, it's true, esp Durant and Aldridge) then honestly honestly honestly why should anyone care...

Oh yeah I'm not denying that he makes that bitchface all the time. It's pretty terrible. Way too many players in the league do it, though. Chris Paul has a constant whine face. David West in this series fouls people ALL THE TIME clearly and never thinks he actually committed anything.

But LBJ has always had an incredibly low foul rate, for his entire career. That's not EVIDENCE of anything. I'm far more willing to concede that he sometimes travels than that refs miss a lot of fouls on him that should be called. I just flat out don't think that's true. I also recall an analyst breaking down the film and finding only a couple of missed calls during that stretch but nothing fishy. Can't find that either. There are also articles from earlier in his career explaining his super low foul rate. http://howtowatchsports.com/2010/01/lebron-james-foul-issue-a-rebuttal/, http://basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=899

I call BS on this regularly happening. I buy the very liberal interpretation of gathering the ball, that's how James Harden is an All-NBA type player. But nobody regularly has an iffy gather AND 3 steps. You know that would in essence mean 4 steps, right?

Because I'm an idiot and i hate myself, I watched these videos. In the 1st one, the 1st one is a clear travel. The 2nd and 3rd ones are dumb and inconsequential. All players do that.
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    Oh look here's Jordan.
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    In the 2nd one, there's a 3 step travel (not 7, wtf). He catches the ball, w/ a gather step, takes 2 more steps, dribbles, liberal gather, then 3 steps cuz he lost balance somewhere. I dunno where the officials called the foul on that.
    3rd video: I don't see a travel in the 1st clip, 2nd one I already brought up myself, 3rd one is a travel on an uncontested fastbreak dunk, which is called on any player 0.5% of the time, 4th is just a shitty jump stop that's never called, 5th is in the freaking Olympics (come on) and is literally not a travel.
    4th is a travel, yay.
    5th is a freaking awful 9 minute video of like 3 travels that are all 8 years old. and a bunch of obviously biased inconclusive plays that honestly nobody should be rewatching.
    last video is funny cuz of music, but utterly worthless otherwise. person obviously has 0 concept of a gather step. also there's a play from an all-star game in there lol.

So yeah, in 19 minutes over 6 videos over an 11 year career i saw like 6 travels, half of which would never be called on any player. Who caaaaaares.

Btw I clearly noticed that you can easily google "Lebron travel" videos but you have way less "evidence" that refs give him free passes on fouls. Cuz that isn't a real thing, man.

5. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Senior member

Idfnl is the type of boss no intern wants to have

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I don't doubt it. I fired an intern not long ago (in my defense, first time). My expectations of anyone that I pay money for a service are the same. I don't deduct weight because of the word "intern". I pay, you perform. Special flowers like you probably don't like the accountability.

A superstar shouldn't receive preferential treatment from the league. That's why I care. I've provided you the evidence you asked for, and it's just a sample. I've watched Lebron travel in basically every game these playoffs and never get called for it. And last year. And the year before. The travel no-calls are pervasive with many players.

Regarding the low foul rate, the rebuttal is pretty weak but I get his point. It doesn't account for the fact that this guy plays a lot of minutes, has the ball almost all the time, and attacks and defends aggressively. And still he has among the lowest foul rates on the planet? You look at that list of players in both articles and nobody handles the ball anywhere near as much as him except for (gasp) Kobe and Wade... more stars. Its not just about all the facts you look up, its how he plays in the face of those facts.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  7. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

In every sport where there's some type of real-time interpretation of rules that are somewhat open to interpretation to begin with you get the superstars able to push the margins a bit more because of who they are. Richie McCaw is a pretty good example of this.

8. Brothersport

Sure, fight that fight if you like. Weird to just single him out tho.
    Pretty sure youre the one that has to prove the point if you're crafting a conspiracy theory (LBJ gets historically favorable treatment by refs). But offensive foul rates are basically negligible when it comes to foul rates (Kobe, who avgs more fouls overall, avgs <0.03 more offensive fouls/game than James). So how much he handles the ball doesn't have that great an impact on his foul rate, regardless of anything.

Besides you're not acknowledging what I been saying: he's not that aggressive on defense. This foul rate has almost always passed the eye test. He almost never reaches on defense, and he usually plays defense with his feet and positioning, unlike a lot of foul-prone players. He doesn't try to block shots. Plus he doesn't often guard the other team's best player until crunch time. Seriously this should be a moot point, unless you can compile a list of missed foul calls. That video would be weaker evidence than the mostly shitty travel videos you pasted above. Plus the article I showed said Luol Deng had the same foul rate, w/ the same steal and block %'s, so that doesn't really prove LBJ's singularity.

You can't just use circumstantial evidence (he doesn't foul, so something's fishy) to show something's wrong. It's like if I said the stat that he is historically the best playoff scorer in NBA history, so there must be something wrong. There statistically must be outliers for everything.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Unlikely; that would be out of character.

See?

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

The gather step isn't just for receiving a pass. It's also used to GATHER a dribble

I watched the first video and author clearly doesn't understand pivot feet are allowed to pivot.

Not watching the rest if it's more idiotic shit like that

11. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Ahhh,good ol' Richie McCaw.

12. Brothersport

Paul George has suuuuch superstar ability. So ridiculously good on defense already, and so slithery, and most importantly, so capable of explosive streaky shooting performances. Willingness and ability to absolutely bomb from 3 is why he has an outside chance of being a franchise player on offense on a championship team. More so than Leonard, for example. Just needs to continue improving his dribble, and his passing, esp to cut out on all those stupid frivolous turnovers.

Minny is supposedly choosing between the likes of Sam Mitchell and Vinny Del Negro for coach. !!!!!!!!!!! Omfg so glad I'm not their fan.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

omg... if i were love i wouldn't stay

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I'm just happy to see a good game after it's really cooled off after such a great first round.

Paul George still has too many mental blocks at this point, he's had too many bad stretches where he would just bomb in games. He is still very young though and could develop to be the next #1 guy but after seeing him the second half of this season, I am not so sure anymore. Ceiling is high but I am just not sure it is Lebron/Kobe caliber anymore, I hope I am proven wrong.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

This is what showed in the preview - I thought indesertum was quoting an emily dickinson poem or some such shit at us :)

3 people like this.
  16. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

:lol:

17. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

18. wojt

wojt Senior member

lolz
    he reminds me a bit of Latrell Spreewell

19. diadem

diadem Senior member

Stephenson is the troll of the NBA right now.

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

umm no. troll of the playoffs. troll of NBA would be JR smith