1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

No way this would have worked, not sure why people keep thinking it would have. You're not going to end up with more then two max contracts on one team. Unless all four wanted to take a significant paycut the Thunder had to choose. In Miami the big three took less to play together, and they did not have an Ibaka to take into consideration. The Thunder realized they could only pay three guys at most, and even then not all three could be offered max contracts. They chose Ibaka, correctly I think.
    Harden is basically playing with a 4 1/2 man team. He's a rich man's Correy MAgette, he puts up 20 plus a game, but a lot of those points come at the line but in the playoffs its harder to get to the line against top flight opposition, ie, when it counts the most. We just saw his limitations hurt the Rockets, obviously he is a skilled player and anyone would like him off the bench for scoring, just not over Ibaka anchoring your D.

He's not shit by any stretch, but I really don't get the love for a guy who flat out won't even try to play D.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

You just can't play Caron Butler when Boris and Duncan are on the floor. Must make use of Perry Jones.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I recall, at the time, all the players were willing to make some form of sacrifice to allow for them to stay together.

It was a stupid move to let him go. Lamb isn't ever going to replace what be brought to that team, I think the front office thought he would. That was their ace, turned into a joker.

He was exposed a bit in the playoff series, but he had a better core to work with in OKC. The other issue is that there was no realistic way to keep him as a 6th man, but I wouldn't have minded a starting lineup for the next game of Harden, WB, KD, Ibaka and Adams.

4. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

You can't have both Harden and Adams. Although Perkins would be good in that lineup.

5. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I really hate this lineup. Caron Butler and Derek Fisher? Get Collison in there.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Why not?

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Adams was a pick they got from the rockets for harden

NorCal, right now they can't afford 3 max players but luxury cap is determined by total league revenue and it's projected to rise a lot more than people had thought a few years ago. They could've reasonably been under the cap In a year or two and avoid repeater tax. If they had taken a gamble it would've worked out in the owners favor. Also they never officially offered anything. Should've at least offered near max but I understand they were on a strict timeline from the rockets gm. Also I've already said harden wasn't that bad at defense at okc cuz they didn't run every single possession through him

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Hardens defense was definitely not as bad when he was in OKC as he is now. Hell his defense last year wasn't that bad with the Rockets either, it was just this year that dude became too lazy to guard someone.

But the thing is, Harden wouldn't have to defend that hard in OKCs line-up, WB or Jackson or Thabo (well maybe not based on this playoff) could pick up the faster PGs/SGs Harden has to guard then there's Ibaka and Perkins in the paint to help him. KD is also fairly decent on defense with his long, lanky arms.

In Houston, outside of Beverley (who was missed plenty of games) there isn't a good alternative to guard the other teams star PG/SG so Hardens defense becomes a bigger problem and with one line of defense in Dwight in the paint.

One of the biggest thing is the bond RW, KD and Harden had developed, look at how much support KD give RW even though dude knows it's like playing Russian roullette when he is on the court with him but they pretty much grew up together, those are somewhat difficult to get between your stars (See Shaq and Kobe). Those 3 pretty much grew up together and Harden kind of countered RW on the court, he'd ahndle the ball like a true PG and let RW be a scoring guard and the whole team just becomes a much bigger threat.

And say what you will about Hardens stats but most consider him the best SG in the league right now.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah harden is the best 2 in the league right now, but he's like part time 1. he always brings the ball up and generally he starts the sets.

10. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Well, not one single other team took the chance at three max contracts so I really don't think you can blame the Thunder, if such a thing would even have been possible, which I'm not even sure of.

I'm pretty sure it did in fact come down to HArden or Ibaka and personalyl I take Ibaka 10 times out of 10.

1 person likes this.
  11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yeah, when he was in OKC he played mainly back-up PG.

I even remember campaigning here for him to become the next Lakers PG.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

its a done deal, but it hurts imagining what could've been

13. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Most people are wrong. IMHO of course.

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I'm kind of curious who you'd rank above him outside of Wade who is clearly on the downslide of his career.

15. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

lol westbrooke slam and put-back.

16. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

:lol: Russys gon Russ!

17. diadem

diadem Senior member

That 43-footer to end the first half made me shake my head even though it went in. Typical Russ...

18. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

puhleeese no repeat of 2012.

19. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

what's wrong with that shot at that point of time?

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

he had like two seconds more on the clock to get a better quality shot