NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Don't get me wrong, Butler's D was impressive especially playing the minutes he did (I think 45 was his lowest for the series, and he did 48 a couple times). But LBJ averaging almost a triple double every game, even on somewhat extended minutes, is pretty far from "ineffective." Yeah he had to work harder for it, credit to Butler and Chicago's overall D. But his production didn't slip, and it didn't come at the expense of the rest of the team's numbers. You'd expect him to have to work harder and play more minutes in the playoffs in general, especially against a defensively minded team like the Bulls.

Maybe it just says something about Lebron's game these days when we can talk about how him actually having to work for these kinds of performances is a sign of good D.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I think this is it. Lebron had to work pretty hard to get his.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Me?

Sure. PM me.

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Memphis defends the perimeter well with Allen, Prince and Conley, those guys are tough. Look at how they ran off the Clips and OKC. Surprisingly decent bench defenders too in Pondexter, Bayles & Arthur.Just lots of hussle guys. Granted Pop is a much better coach but this is going to be a very physical game and that is exactly how they want the game played.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This.

SA isn't going to be able to get in their groove easily. Every player on that Memphis roster is going to bump them and get in the passing lanes. SA wants to flow the ball, its likely not going to happen here. Pop has the advantage and he could adjust his way out of this series, but on paper, its Memphis.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...ichael-jordan-kobe-bryant-book-162512969.html

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Did that last anecdote actually happen? Because if Kobe actually said that, MJ would have been in his sneakers in 3 minutes. And hopefully someone took video of that 1-1 game

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Well Jordan was 2-3 years retired when Phil started with the Lakers? Plus MJ probably wanted $1m bet on it and Kobe backed out. :lol:

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

You know that 6 figure bets, at minimum, would have been mandatory with Jordan involved.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Waiting for Kobe to schedule a 1-on-2 with the Sheens so he can claim he accomplished what Jordan couldn't.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

My bad, I read that wrong. I thought it happened in Kobe's first year.

But Phil went to the lakers right after Jordan retired, no? So that meeting would have happened within a year of MJ winning his last ring.

It would have been a good game

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I believe Phil took a year (or two?) off before going to the Lakers. Jordan likely would have still had it but like I said, MJ probably wanted a $1mil bet, that's just how he is.

'99 was Kobes 3rd, 4th year? He was still a rising star at that point so MJ probably shrugged it off as just another eager upcomer who challenges him in every city he visits.

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

A better debate than Michael v. Kobe: Best Shooting Guard Ever? is Magic v. Kobe: Best Laker Ever? I admit I'm biased because I was a big fan of the Showtime Lakers, but I have to give it to Magic. The Lakers were his team the minute he stepped on the court for the first time until the day he retired.

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Magic, no question. He WAS the Lakers from the moment he took over in the playoffs his rookie year

He built the Lakers into the brand it is today (and had much to do with the success of the entire league)

He was the unquestioned leader of the team during pretty much his entire tenure.

Magic might not be the best player who wore a laker uniform ever. Kobe and Kareem can be part of that argument. But Magic is the best Laker

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

[​IMG]