NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

They were the #1 seed in the West, didn't have too much reason to question the decision until Westbrook went down.

Probably they should have held on to him until the end of the season, but you don't exactly make roster moves based around potential injuries to superstars.

Butler is a good defender, but I think you might be exaggerating a bit about Lebron being "ineffective."

Lebron:
    24/7/8
    19/9/5 (didn't play most of the 4th)
    25/7/8
    27/8/7
    23/8/7

Pretty much his season averages, and that's with two blowouts.

Last edited: May 16, 2013

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

True but when they got Martin, they expected him to be that immediate scorer off the bench like Harden, except Harden is also a much better defender. Martin had 25, 6, 13, 18, 10 in this series, his main job is to score and he is already a liability on the defensive end so his offensive share is magnified but he simply did not deliver. Even in the Houston series, he was very inconsistent (16, 12, 10, 16, 3, 25).

It just seemed like majority here felt letting Harden go was the right move, it was like me against everyone when I disagreed. I was also one of the few who defends Westbrook in this team while most wants him gone too and there we see w/o those two AllStars in the team. That was a bad move trying to save money, now the franchise took a step back instead of moving forward. They are young and they'll get more chances but the prices of these players are just going up further and further and they might have to let more players go and it could just go downhill from here on out.

3. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Go Memphis! Bring balance to the Force.

4. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I didn't.

Go Spurs Go

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Sore Loser.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Damn, Dubs lived by the 3 and died by the 3.

Memphis & San Antonio will be an interesting series. Duncan is going to have to bang bodies with Zach and Marc, not sure if he can keep up at his age. Series is going to be fun tho watch and if the Pacers finally finishes off the Knicks, that could be two very good Conference Finals.

In the West, it's kind of a toss up, I'm not sure who would win. In the East, even if the Pacers plays real well with the healthy Hill, I still see the Heat coming out of that series in 5-6 games.

Last edited: May 16, 2013

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Why must you persist in calling Duncan old? He had his best year in recent memory.

Manu,,,he's old. But he's also pretty good at pulling a rabbit out of his ass...

Memphis is a good team, Maybe I'll buy cable after all.

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Because he is old. :lol: This has been the best he has played in the past 3 years but he is still below his career average.

What he has accomplished is nothing short of great and he is undoubtedly one of the best (if not the very best) PF in history of the NBA but they are going against Zach and Marc, these two battled Griffin/Jordan & Ibaka/Perkins/Collison and won. If you saw the Clips vs. Grizz games, Griffin and Randolph looks like two football players in the paint than bball players, at this point I am not sure Duncan can deal with that.

I've been proven plenty of time this year, really nothing new if Duncan does it again. Hell he's been doing it for years now but the fact is, he is old. Don' take it as a knock on Duncan, he knows it and Pop knows it, we all know it. Same way Kobe is old, not a knock on him, he just is.

9. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Don't speak too soon my friend, NY has a chance. If they win game 6 on the road, game 7 at the Garden is a lock.

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The Harden trade was the worst one that I can remember in recent times. The Thunder knew what they had in him (I argued last playoffs that he was already the 2nd or 3rd best SG in the league depending on whether Wade as healthy), and he was perfect because he could carry the offense on his own. And they still picked Ibaka over him

Barkley from sixers was not as bad because he wanted out and they were gonna lose him anyway

Shaq from lakers was not as bad because his marriage with Kobe had imploded and he had to gtfo

Baron and #1 pick from Clippers was idiotic because the Clips failed to protect the pick that became Kyrie Irving (imagine that team. Also, [email protected]). But the pick winning the lottery was not a sure thing

No, that Harden trade was bad. Indefensible. They could have at least waited until now to see what happened. With his development this year (and Ibaka's failure to), they would've made the right decision this summer. Or at least gotten someone better than Kevin Fucking Martin, the worst 20+ point scorer of the late 2000's

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Personally I don't believe stats tell the story. He's always going to get his. Lebron looked really bothered by Butler.

And he plays more minutes in the playoffs: 40+ in the Chicago series. His numbers didn't go up even though he was playing 8 more minutes a game.

Also Wade was not producing much in the series so he had to carry more load. If Wade was 100% I think he'd have done less.

Last edited: May 17, 2013

12. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Splitter will help- he's getting better every year.

My question re the Grizz is how will they defend SA's perimeter game?

Force v. Object.

Obviously, I'd like to see the Spurs go back to the finals.

I think Duncan will spank Bosh, and the Heat have no answer for Parker.

Of course NO ONE has an answer for LBJ, and not many for DWade when he's healthy.

And Ray Allen...

Meh...

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I don't know why the Grizz would have a problem with the SA's perimeter. Allan, Conley, Prince are a decent group.

Grizz have a better chance against the Heat. Neither team has a very good shot all said, but Gasol and Randolph can do more damage. Frankly Indiana has the best chance, that says enough.

14. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

15. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Hill will likely be out tomorrow for the concussion, probably not even back by game 7. And if Hibbert continues to play like the rest of the team last night ("playin like b*tches" he said after the loss [​IMG]) we might well see a MIA-NYK Eastern finals.