1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Barnes did not touch the ball, it was a foul but ball was out on Jackson and fouls can't be reviewed only who touched it last so it should have been Clips ball. It was straight robbery. I don't know how the refs could not see it, Barnes got all hand.

2. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

So you're thinking a make up call? That was a strange time in the game to do it.

They could have made the make up call, but clearly should have reversed it on review.

In the wide open like that it was ridiculous to flaunt the rules.

3. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I was being sarcastic hence my quotation marks. That call basically gifted OKC the win but Russ still could have fucked it up had he not been awarded the free throws in the first place. That three he attempted was terrible.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Definitely seems like a make up call but that just wasn't right, that's not how the replay was made for and it happened all season long but on a playoff, just got to do it by the rules. An NBA apology tomorrow just destroyed the Clips chance at winning.

It was better the Clips lost because CP3 choked and did stupid decisions than the refs deciding the game.

5. flyindarkness

flyindarkness Senior member

Don't want the clips to win at all, but if they called that foul on Russ, it definitely should have been a foul on Curry.
    Makes me even more fucking pissed that they didn't call the actual foul on curry. Would have probably send the Clips packing.
    and The clips got soo many fucking FT this game.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

What? Could have sworn Clips shot 20 free throws while Thunder attempted 36.

7. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Well it's the same thing as the other game, isn't it? Blow a big lead and lose.

To be honest, that's one of the things I don't get about basketball. The rules seem to be set up to make it difficult for teams to close out games

8. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

this shit so crazy.

westbrook got robbed by durant for mvp.

this is the bad thing about replay; back b4 replay, you call that off barnes no question. now the person who got fouled gets screwed (e.g. paul in the GSW series). officials screwed that up spectacularly.

with that said, chris paul played so badly in the last minute. earlier that game he was actually defended super well by perkins (!!!!!!! caused 3 TOs and a missed shot), then he SOMEHOW lets westbrook steal it, then he fouls westbrook. I think that was a foul on paul, and also should have been called against curry last round.

reggie jackson is the one who fucked it all up for the officials. somehow he didn't pass the ball on a THREE-ON-ONE.

9. flyindarkness

flyindarkness Senior member

Yeah, my bad, I meant the Thunder. The ref were definitely calling for home court advantage.

10. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

How is it robbery if there was a foul?

It's ok for the refs to make a mistake on a foul, but not ok for them to make it on an out-of-bounds call?

Sure, the rules might not allow them to go back for it, but isn't it better that the right call is made in the end?

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

The replay is for out of bounds play only, not the foul. The refs can't make it up by giving the ball to the other team. Those are the rules. Now if they called the foul, then fine but that replay was clearly out on Jackson so the Clips deserved the ball.

Same thing happened in Golden State but with a different result, CP3 was fouled but they ruled it out of bound on him and Warriors ball. They replayed and saw CP3 was fouled but they couldn't do anything so they still awarded the ball to the Dubs and the NBA made a statement the next day that is was a foul.

Again no one is arguing the foul on Barnes, and it is exactly why Barnes didn't touch the ball he got all wrist, it's a missed foul-call but on a replay (made of out of bounds plays) that was clear and obvious and it is the main reason there is a replay for out of bounds, they can't make that mistake. Refs has taken 5-10 minutes on some replays to determine whose ball it is, this one is very clear. Barnes swatted down and the ball continued to travel forward because Jacksons hand was moving forward. The replays purpose to not miss "out of bounds" calls not "foul" calls. Simple as that.

It's just following the rules, fouls aren't replayable but the out of bounds was and I really have no idea how the refs could miss that other than making up for the missed foul.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  12. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Right call was not made at the end!

It was a giveback call for missing the foul call.

IMO that is absolutely wrong. The idea that the refs know they blew a foul call but can make it up by calling an out of bounds play wrong is a horrible policy.

The NBA will never admit what the refs did was wrong but they should have some talks.

I mean they will issue an apology but no one, with NBA, will admit that they knowingly blew the out of bounds call to make up for the blown foul call.

It is galling for LAC fans when the tape is so obvious.

Did LAC deserve this win? IMO, NO. But I think they were knowingly robbed.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  13. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

Stu Jackson, former head of officiating, tweeted that it was the right call because of this rule:

Rule 8 Section II - c of the NBA rulebook states:

If a player has his hand in contact with the ball and an opponent hits the hand causing the ball to go out-of-bounds, the team whose player had his hand on the ball will retain possession.

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

That wasn't the reason the refs gave to the coaches though, they said that in the replay they saw (which we all saw) that Jackson didn't touch the ball which sounds like a cop out.

Its funny, in the press conference and Durant saying "we had to work so hard at all the adversities they faced tonight".

15. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

You can call it the wrong call within the letter off the law, but you can't call it robbery. That doesn't make sense if you admit that there was a foul there.

Yes, I understand that.

But how is it robbery if there was a foul? It's not robbery at all. It's just the right outcome being made for the wrong reasons.

What does it matter what reason they give if the team whose ball it should be gets the possession?

16. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

You aren't getting it, you don't award the foul just because you missed it. That's not how it works.

It is a robbery because give the ball to the Clips and they win, simple as that. Follow the rules and they win.

Again the foul wasn't in question, that's not reviewable just like the foul on Curry by CP3. They lose, simple as that. The out of bounds was reviewable and should have been Clips ball. You don't go against the rules just to make up for your missed call, that is the issue.

If you don't understand this then I don't know what to tell you. You keep saying to give the ball to OKC because the foul wasn't called even though the Clips deserved the ball, which is just not how it works by the rules. You don't just give them the ball just because of principle. Foul calls are missed all the time but for out of bounds plays, they have replay for this exact reason and they have it in the last 2 min of the game only so that they get the right call on OUT OF BOUNDS PLAYS, NOT FOULS.

17. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

No, you're not getting it. I've already said like 3 times that I know it's not in the rules to re-check that foul.
    Why do you think it's ok to make a mistake by missing a foul, but it's not ok to make a mistake on an out of bounds call?

If you're going to moan about one umpiring error then others get to moan about other errors; it doesn't matter whether it's a replayed error or a live error; it's still an error.

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Crap. I guess I missed another instant classic.

With the caveat that I didn't see the play, I sort of agree that the end justifies the means here. Right team gets the ball in the end, which is the right outcome and the refs don't end up completely tilting the game. Not arguing that the rules weren't flaunted, though.

Stockton to possibly coach the Jazz? Yes please

19. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Because fouls can't be reversed and replayed while out of bounds plays are replayable and reversible so yeah the replays point was not to make that mistake. With a foul, once it's a missed foul it's missed and nothing else could be done. That's what makes it a damn robbery, it was too obvious, the announcers knew it, the media knew it and hell even the audience in attendance knew it and was shocked there for a second because everyone saw on the reply in the giant screen in the arena that Jackson touched it last.

It's not an error on the refs part, they awarded the ball to OKC. The replay wasn't even inconclusive, it was too obvious. They always talk about the trajectory of the ball and you can clearly see Jackson pushed that ball forward while Barnes smack on the wrist was going downwards.

20. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

You're saying the same thing over and over. I already understand that fouls can't be replayed and reversed.

rule 1:
    if a player commits a foul, a foul is called and possession or free throws are awarded...right?
    rule 2:
    if a player touches the ball and it goes out of bounds, possession is awarded to the other team...right?
    rule 3:
    fouls can't be reversed and replayed, but out of bounds plays are replayable and reversible...right?

The refs got ALL THREE of these calls wrong. And yet you seem to think that rule 3 being wrong is the only thing that matters. And that somehow makes it a robbery even though it's in the context of the previous mistake, rule 1.

They fucked up, but that doesn't make it a robbery.