1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

CP3 so handsy, so aggressive. Refs never call that contact on a smaller player going up against a bigger one (Rondo/Barea on LBJ, for example), and they're sure as hell not gonna call it on a superstar (Paul). Paul is such a smart, smart player.

https://twitter.com/Lockedonsports/status/465860862217957376
    "CP3 switches on Durant at 10:49 of 4th. Steals ball on 1st possession. Durant takes 2 dribbles the rest of the game. Scared to dribble"

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Brothersport

Lol Mike Brown got fired. CLE hired a new GM so Brown is out after the first friggin year of his 5 yr/$20 mil contract.

His agent must LOOOOOVE him. He's literally going to get paid by 3 teams if he works anywhere next season.

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    on the other hand, iirc, he'll make $7 million for sitting on his couch. a new definition of "mailbox money".

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

It's funny because CP3 picked up Durant late in Game 3 too and it didn't work then, Durant just kept shooting over him or CP3 would foul him on the shot attempt.

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i think the second part is the key. how far will the refs let him push? it's definitely playing with dynamite because the one thing you don't want to do is put him on the line.

6. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i think under the CBA you get paid by former team until you get re-hired by another. so your contracts don't overlap (which would be awesome though). Its kind of like alimony payments to the ex wife, you're on the hook until she gets married again - then she's the next husband's problem.

7. Brothersport

I could be wrong but I don't think so. That's sorta the way the amnesty works for players, but I think coaches' deals are fully guaranteed regardless.

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/465936266190946304
    https://twitter.com/DragonflyJonez/status/465940745052909568 (not an NBA expert by any means but a hilarious follow.

Btw Chris Broussard tweeted that his "sources" said Mike Brown was getting fired literally after the Cavs official media report hahahahhahah

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i think gilbert arenas is the highest paid NBA player right now. he's getting paid by 2 (? or just the wizards?) teams plus he's playing abroad. or something like that. so i don't think its like alimony

9. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I don't think it works that way. If he gets another job then the new team pays his salary while the old team is required to make up the difference if he takes a job for less money so his pay is basically guaranteed at the highest pay while also guaranteed at the longest tenure.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I don't know how NBA coaching contracts are structured, but what Tex said is pretty much the default rule in basic contract law.

11. Brothersport

i'm open to being wrong, do you have a source?

closest i can find right now is from when he got fired from the Lakers.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...ing-lakers-chik-fil-photo-011732721--nba.html
    i know noooothing about law; are basic contracts generally guaranteed? i thought coaches' were. i thought that's why it's such a disaster when you fire a long-term coach immediately, and that's why nobody thought CLE was gonna do so, because they still had to pay him for 4 more years. if the rest of his contract is offset by his future salary then that hit would be diminished significantly.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

In contract law, when one part breaches a contract (by terminating the relationship early, for example), the other party is generally entitled to damages that will "make him whole" by restoring the benefits he would have lost because of the breach (referred to as "expectation" damages). However, the law also expects the injured party to make reasonable efforts to mitigate his damages.
    So, a simple example. You hire me shine your shoes for 5 years at $1M year under an exclusive, guaranteed contract. After three years you fire me. The analysis starts with the fact that you may owe me $2M. But if I get another job paying me $14M/year, you've gotten lucky and owe me nothing. (I'm entitled to be "made whole", but not to have you fund a windfall where I end up doing better than if you'd honored the contract.) If I make reasonable efforts to find another gig but end up having to settle for $500k/year shining indesertum's shoes, you'd owe me $1M ($500k shortfall x 2).

I'm assuming in this context "guaranteed" means that the contract runs for the full five year term even if the coach gets fired. {This is distinguished from the default rule in most states that employment contracts are presumed to be terminable-at-will -- that is, either side can walk away at any point and the meter stops at that point. } But that's slightly different from the mitigation point. I would take that to mean that you use the whole five-year term to calculate the maximum potential damages ($3M from my example above), but that can still be reduced or eliminated if the coach gets another job (which he would not have been able to do if still actually coaching the team that fired him.

That said, you can generally structure a contract however you want. A coach with a lot of leverage certainly could negotiate a contract that provided that he'd be paid the entire anticipated contract sum even if he were fire and even if he took another job. But that wouldn't be the way it would normally work unless it's specifically what the parties agreed to.

Firing a coach with a long-term contract is a disaster because you're on the hook for the remainder of the contract while he sits on his ass at home, and you have to pay your new coach as well. Of course, if you'd agreed to a full pay-out regardless of termination, that would be even more of a disaster . . .

3 people like this.
  13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ ahhhh… good old K law. My remedies prof always hated the "made whole" concept and insisted we use "rightful position" but you know what I mean.

On a related note….. "Hey Kobe! I hear Mike Brown is available!" :lol:

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I passed Contract Law. I'm saying no more about my performance than that.

3 people like this.
  15. Brothersport

Huh, okay. Yeah I understood that, just didn't think that applied to NBA coaches, thanks for the lesson.

Looks like I'm wrong. But these articles from when Brown was fired from LAL (owes $6-7 mil over 2 years) and then hired by CLE ($5 mil/yr for 4 years) say that LAL would only get some of the money back, even though it should theoretically be totally covered by the new CLE contract.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/36547/how-mike-browns-hiring-affects-the-lakers
    http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2...om-cleveland-hiring-mike-brown-as-head-coach/
    I don't get it, and I give up. :slayer:

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Sure. Again, though, NBA coaching contracts are a pretty specialized, tiny subset, and there could very well be provisions commonly incorporated into them that make everything I said about the default rules meaningless.

As far as MB: the time period may be covered, but it looks like CLE is paying him at a lower annual rate than what LA agreed to pay, right? In that case it's like when that cheapskate indesertum would only pay me $500K/year - you'd still be on the hook to make up the difference. Presumably that's why the Laker spokesperson said they'd have to wait for the CLE contract to be finalized to know exactly how much they'd still owe.

17. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

tell us more about this shoe shining job. i could take the pay cut to get out of journalism.

1 person likes this.
  18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Before you quit your current gig, I should tell you that "shoe" is a euphemism.

1 person likes this.
  19. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

so is "journalism" :)

1 person likes this.
  20. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

dude stop ragging on Mike Brown... he just got fired and now needs time to heal. :lol:

i totally know how this shit works too... just like stu jackson (former knicks and vancouver head coach) Mike brown is the motherfucker who keeps on failing forward into a cushy NBA head office executive position down the line - something like Executive VP of player affairs.