1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

shaq's a clown tho.

he was shitting on dwight howard for not being dominant in the paint, putting up the numbers he did, the championships, and the mvp trophies he's won. that would be like kareem talking about shaq in the beginning stages of his career talking about all the championships and mvps he hasn't won, all the points he hasn't scored, and that he should develop a sky hook

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Oh everyone knows Shaq hates Dwight and it was evident even before he took his nickname. I don't think anyone is really taking him seriously.

With that said, he does have a point. Dwight gets lazy at times and really hasn't developed or improved in any way but when he is on and you can see he is on. The same were being said about Blake a year ago, Barkley and Shaq were even showing how to post up and all that in the Inside the NBA post show but you see Blake being voted 3rd for the MVP and all that talk is gone. That never happened with Dwight and really he could just be on a decline from here on out.

3. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

They're going to find Deron Williams in a barrel someplace.

4. Wade

Wade Senior member

5. diadem

diadem Senior member

Seriously, the Heat had a 100-second possession...what the flying fuck...

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i was at the game today....the Heat played like total dogshit. especially on defense where i swear to God, Marcus Thornton scored all his points on 5-6 uncontested layups, Livingston was killing the Heat guards on the block, and Teletovic had all the open 3's his bought-and-paid-for-by-the-Russian-mob heart desired.

the Nets just played pretty badly themselves. this was their best chance to get back into the series and they blew it

1 person likes this.
  7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

missed the game, but nice to know the heats pulled off the win!

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Dwight is top 3 most over-rated player in the NBA..

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

:( blazers...

1 person likes this.
  10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Reporter: how have you been able to contain the three pointers?
    Popovich: no clue

:lol:

2 people like this.
  11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

All true. Still funny, though. Because Shaq, of course, was universally acclaimed throughout his career for his work ethic and dedication to making the most he could of his prodigious gifts.

2 people like this.
  12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Where do you guys rank Kawhi Leonard among the best players in the league? Dude is so efficient but sometimes I'm not sure if it's a product of the system or he really is that talented

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

just simply statwise kawhi doesn't look impressive, but he does everything at least as good as league average. i would personally put him solidly in top 20. i think he's going to be there franchise player in a few years. stats wise he's already playing better than the top 3

he's great to watch tho. super humble. he's had that corner 3 last year but now he can make a pretty good amount of midrange shots and he's quick enough to blow by defenders. also his defense is just fantastic. really intelligent stuff. rotating over at the right time. he can do that help on the person driving in and then recover quickly to find his shooter

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  14. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

Kawhi is pretty phenomenal on D. Haven't watched enough of his O but I wonder if he's ever gonna get to that franchise player status on offense. He's been lights out for the 2nd half of the year but he was pretty underwhelming before that, before he broke his hand. He seems more of a complementary player there too. Maybe a solid comparison is Iguodala-level, w/ more of a post game and less of a handle.

credit: n3tw3rk

1 person likes this.
  15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I think Kawhi is better as a wingman and not much else. I think he can be a star in a losing team but not necessarily that teams franchise player. I see him in similar vein as Ariza but maybe with a bit more upside? He works better on a good system than being that iso star like Lebron, Melo, Wade, etc...

16. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i really like leonard, but i think it's one of those situations where you get the ideal fit of talent and work ethic and system. in a way -- and this is a stretch, admittedly -- he's a bit like a younger duncan, who wasn't physically dominant or overly gifted at his position in the way of a howard or a shaq or a nowitzki (depending on whether he's playing 5 or 4), but is a great athlete and so fundamentally sound that he fits into a highly structured system perfectly.

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

this is how imagine Kawhi's face right after he just signed a max contract extension or hit the game winning shot of the NBA finals:

[​IMG]

18. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

I like Ariza as a comp a lot. Maybe more efficient? But he's never had to take on a huge role. Also he'll prob end up w/ more of a post game.

19. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

^^ He doesn't come with an emotion chip which makes him even more awesome

1 person likes this.
  20. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

if you're old enough, my comparison player is Reggie Lewis.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lewisre01.html

their career arcs are quite similar. underrated college careers, slow progression and revamping/refining their game as rookies. Learning from true HOF veterans. Very very humble and quiet almost to a detriment - but coupled with steely determination to work on their game. also they were both two way players with length and had the eerie ability to score very "quiet 25pts" any given night.

here's a grant land article about the spurs "shot doctor" - who actually rebuilt the jumpshots of parker, leonard, and even binanelli

http://grantland.com/features/the-shot-doctor/

leonard had to relearn how to shoot entirely. but he did it to great results. he's on his way to becoming a franchise player.