1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Brogued

Brogued Senior member

Hope we get to see the Bulls and the Celtics in a playoff series. Really like how the Bulls have progressed this season. Coach Thibs has got them playing great team defense and Derrick Rose runs the show very well, taking over the game when he needs to. Looking forward to the playoffs.

2. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

The playoffs are gonna be amazing. Even the East suddenly has a host of good match-ups. NY is a lot of fun to watch; even the Pacers aren't boring.

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    really like watching chicago. they kind of remind me of OKC last year.
    i do like the spurs, too. it's going to be interesting how their "no-star" approach plays out. it's either brilliant because different people pick up the weight on any given night, or it'll fall apart because there isn't that one go-to guy who can bend the game to his will (well, some nights, right kobe?)

4. venessian

venessian Senior member

oxymoron dude. bleacher report is not to believed under any circumstance.
    OJFC, it's a RUMOR, regardless of the source. WTF does "belief" have to do with it? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Let's put it this way: this scenario is an idea that someone expressed somewhere; some people may or may not find it a somewhat interesting thing to think about.

Predictions are gonna be difficult to make until it happens.
    Talk about an oxymoron!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. venessian

venessian Senior member

really like watching chicago. they kind of remind me of OKC last year.

Except that one team has one of the coolest players in the league and the other has one of the most obnoxious.

6. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Some ridiculous dunks being thrown down tonight.

7. venessian

venessian Senior member

^ Yeah. Awesome stuff. Ibaka deserved more points on the first one though.

Griff is a monster. Damn...his elbow!!!

8. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Blake Griffin / Kia = Game Over

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

My favorite was Derozan's second dunk

10. ibleedwhite

ibleedwhite Senior member

i cant believe that guy from OKC didnt get a 50 for a dunk in which he managed to take off behind the free throw line. those judges are idiots

11. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Yeah. This seems like a case of the ends justifying the means. In this case, making sure we get to see Blake jump over a car. But it's too bad, because the other dudes deserved to advance as well.

Serge's legit free throw line dunk + the gimmicky but awesome in practice stuffed animal dunk deserved more points.

Demar's behind the backboard between the legs + that SICK second dunk were also better than Blake's first two.

It almost seemed like Blake knew he was gonna advance, regardless.

Big props to Javelle McGee for his inventive dunks. They all seemed physically impossible at first and he somehow pulled them off.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

13. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

OK, just caught the winning dunk on you tube and.....not that great but really with all that hype how could they let him lose? Love that Charles called it live on the air. Still good for the sport and Blake is a fucking mega star now. Talk about rising to the top in a hurry.

14. Brothersport

OJFC, it's a RUMOR, regardless of the source. WTF does "belief" have to do with it? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Let's put it this way: this scenario is an idea that someone expressed somewhere; some people may or may not find it a somewhat interesting thing to think about.

Talk about an oxymoron!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dunno what you're talkin bout; I'm just pointing out that Bleacher Report stuff isn't worth paying any attention to.

15. Brothersport

Yeah. This seems like a case of the ends justifying the means. In this case, making sure we get to see Blake jump over a car. But it's too bad, because the other dudes deserved to advance as well. Serge's legit free throw line dunk + the gimmicky but awesome in practice stuffed animal dunk deserved more points. Demar's behind the backboard between the legs + that SICK second dunk were also better than Blake's first two. It almost seemed like Blake knew he was gonna advance, regardless. Big props to Javelle McGee for his inventive dunks. They all seemed physically impossible at first and he somehow pulled them off.
    +1 to allllllll of this. For a 6'10" player to go from BEHIND the FT line is totally amazing. And yeah, the gimmicky toy dunk was nuts. I don't think anyone realized that for that to happen, the dunker has to basically have his head fully touch an inch or two below the rim. And beyond that, Serge came from behind the backboard and reversed it. Totally nuts. As everyone on Twitter is also saying, DeRozan's 1st dunk should have definitely beaten Blake's second dunk. His second was amazing as well. JaVale's two first dunks were totally mind-blowing. I've been thinkin for awhile that we could see someone dunk two balls at once, but he did it on TWO SEPARATE RIMS. HOLY FUCK. And he alley-ooped one of them!!!! Those baskets are a full six feet away! Jesus. Add to that that his first dunk in the finals was nuts. Too bad that Serge stole his 2nd dunk, lol. Blake's 1st dunk of the night would have been mindblowing had he gotten it on the first try. If you look, the one he actually made was def less impressive. But he still looks like the most impressive dunker in motion, though. I don't think anyone has ever had that kind of power + athleticism, bar none. It might have been an iffy win overall but I don't think anyone can really complain. LOL: did anyone hear the line of the night? Reggie said "I think this is definitely the most impressive first round of the dunk contest for around 10 years." Charles: "I'm not going to go that far, because I can't remember that well right now." Reggie cuts in: "Oh, so just like college then, huh?" Barkley couldn't even SAY anything for about 10 seconds.

16. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Ibaka's dunk was great, but nobody is ever going a good score for a FT line dunk in the post-Brent Barry world...especially if they don't dribble. It's been done to death, so the degree of difficulty is ignored.

I'm a little mad that Blake bailed on his first dunk after two attempt. The two misses were reverse 360, two-handed WINDMILLS. He dropped the windmill on the make.

17. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

B Diddy was going crazy last night, looked like Griff kicked him during the dunk in this pic. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Now for my thoughts on the dunk contest. As stated last night, big men just isn't going to be too impressive unless they think outside the box. Howard won because of his Superman antics, hell Howards last dunk when he won wasn't even considered a dunk. McGee got a well deserved 50 on the double dunk but the rest just didn't look impressive until you see it on replay and slow-mo. Ibakas free throw just looked horrible, he may have jumped farther than MJ but MJ cocked it back and kicked his foot and just looked amazing, Ibaka looked stiff and on first showing it even looked like he missed. Blake on the other hand was just great visually and you can hear his dunks so you get it from more than just watching. I agree Blake didn't have the best dunk but I feel like Baron messed up two of his dunks, even that car pass was horrible.

In the end, I think they should just let 4 contestants dunk 4 times and then let people vote. I have a feeling Derozan had something up his sleeves, he had arguably the best dunk of the night.

19. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i don't know. i just think the dunk contest is kind of silly. it's like a home run contest. the dunk is great when it's a punctuation point in a game, when there's some drama building up to it and then KABOOM!. in the contest, it's just a series of exclamation points. still, it's better than watching the 3-point contest.

20. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I don't think it's silly, it's a chance to show what you can do that you can't do in-game. It's just fun thing to watch. If look at it that way then the whole Saturday night event is pointless.