1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why? This is Stephensons first year averaging double digits, JR's been doing it for awhile, even with JR having an awful shooting year, he still shot 3's better than Stephenson and averaged about the same points/assists. So Stephenson's best year so far has been about equal to one of JR's mediocre years. And JR hasn't had a fistfight with teammates.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Damn if Mark Jackson isn't the most inspiring coach in the league right now

"YOU deserve it! YOU deserve it! YOU deserve it! We all deserve it!"

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

steph curry has one of the quickest release in the games (something like 0.4 seconds).

it's also imo kind of unique

he does a four finger release which is pretty unique. some of the all time greatest shooters do an index finger release. if you raise your arm in front of you, you'll notice that the index finger is the finger most in line with your arm. your other 3 fingers are off to the side. in other words your index finger is most naturally straight.

here is kobe with the ball rolling off his index finger. its hyper exaggerated to the point that his index finger touches his thumb

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

here is ray allen with less of an exaggeration

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

here is steph curry with four fingers down

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

nowitzki's is kind of hard to see but he shoots with his middle finger down

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

i wanted to show michael jordan and john stockton but i can't find a video with good enough quality to show the finger

four fingers down is harder. it's not natural. you have to rotate your hand a little bit. with practice clearly it can be effective. but i imagine you'd have to practice a lot harder to get used to your hand rotating when you shoot

curry also does 1 motion shot. 1 motion shots are more prevalent in the wnba and among people who don't have a high vertical. james harden does a 1 motion shot

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

notice the shot is going off as his body is going up

the alternative is a 2 motion shot, which you can see in the ray allen and kobe videos above. the ball is briefly paused at the forehead at the zenith of their jump and then released.

its kinda hard to see at first without slow motion, but once you see you can't stop seeing it.

pro to 1 motion shot is release is quicker so its harder to block. con is the release point is lower so its easier to block. if you can jump high tho you should do a 2 motion shot to make it harder to block. if you can't jump as high you want the ball to go as quickly as possible

curry is also a master of the hop. the hop is basically where you hop as you catch the ball to get in place and immediately jump. the alternative is the 1, 2 step where you walk into your jump shot

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnyMcf4E1JE[/VIDEO]

lillard does both. if you rewatch the clutch shot from yesterday you'll notice he walks into it instead of hopping into it. KD and kevin love both are masters of the hop which is a very point guard shooting guard thing to do. when kevin love does off ball movement and runs to catch the ball he'll jump into the ball and them immediately line up and shoot.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoLS0t6wzcs[/VIDEO]

this is the perfect example of a hop. he hops into it as he catches the ball then shoots. good shooters tho will do a 1, 2 when they're dribbling the ball. curry is great at both too. hop gives you a quicker release. instead of taking two steps to get set you hop and when you're down hopping you're set.

curry's balance is incredible. good shooting form is when you jump with legs slightly apart, gather together in the air, and land in an area smaller than when you started which provides great stability.

watch westbrook jump in an area wider than he ends in

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF7qC6n__fY[/VIDEO]

yesterday there was a moment when curry jumped facing right but mid air he switched to the left and the commentator was saying how that's normal for him and he has a weird shooting form. it's not normal. he just caught the ball awkwardly.

curry doesn't even have to do the legs together thing cuz his upper body is always so balanced. sometimes he actually finishes wider than he starts and he still makes them

incidentally paul george started shooting badly when he stopped doing the legs together thing

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k-EbTIrHkg[/VIDEO]

curry also has a nice dip. a dip is when you bring the ball down before you bring it up. it gives you rhythm and power. some college and high school coaches are against this. they'll put a hand underneath the ball when you shoot it to try and train you not to do a dip. they claim a no dip shot gets off quicker

watch ray allen get a dip in before he shoots last year's clutch shot

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFQy-qmyotc[/VIDEO]

watch the lillard video again. he gets a dip in.

watch curry dip

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN6nCvk425Q[/VIDEO]

the amazing thing about curry is he doesn't even need to dip sometimes. if he wants an even quicker release he'll just shoot the ball immediately

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qmgcNG2HZE[/VIDEO]

most people can't do that and get a shot in consistently.

one last thing is called the sweep and sway. it's where when you jump in the air your feet sweep underneath you and your shoulders sway back in a relaxed way kind of like a mini fadeaway. in a lot of the videos above the player's legs will be behind the line initially but end up in front of it.

curry has a sweep but it's slight. it's probably because he doesn't jump as high, but you can still see him sweep.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4twIK-mvUE[/VIDEO]

the alternative is jumping straight up and down, with no sweep. 1 motion shooters dont jump as high and their sweep isn't as obvious, but curry and harden still have a sweep to them. pretty much everybody sweeps tho. jeremy lin used to not sweep when he was in new york. he would jump straight up and down.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mr3P2JMcd8[/VIDEO]

watch at 8:43. the clip only shows his makes tho. he misses a ton too.

5 people like this.
  4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Last minute of Clips-W's game is lulz after hearing complaints that the Clippers get too many calls.

5. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Go Portland. Fuck everyone else.

2 people like this.
  6. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

We'll get em next season. Need bogut and ezeli to get healthy. Great series.

2 people like this.
  7. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

holy shit these playoffs.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

What math is that? You shut off for the last play, out of a timeout, in a playoff game, knowing a basket will tie or win? Sure.

9. Neo_Version 7

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

Do you think Steph's reached his peak or is he only going to get better from here (I can't even imagine that considering what he is already capable of)? Where do you rank him among the greatest shooters?

10. Brothersport

@indesertum That post was awesome. Where'd you learn all that? Any comment on Durant, Nash (2nd best shooter ever), or Redick (back in college they made a big deal about his perfect form)? Or Bron?

I wonder how this stuff applies to shooting off the dribble, or fadeaways, or shooting while turning, etc. I guess you just try to keep your principles and adjust.

IMO Curry's already the best shooter ever. Guy is a magical shooting fairy. Not much he can do to improve his shot...maybe up near the rim, and drawing more FTs is key.

1 person likes this.
  11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i mean i don't even know how it's possible to get better.

curry is such a good shooter shooting form norms doesn't even apply anymore. all the stuff i said above curry will do vast majority of the time, but he can get shots in without good form because somehow his upper body is just so incredibly balanced no matter what the position. it just somehow goes in.

that was honestly such a good game. and one of the best series ever.

i still don't understand how it was that close without bogut, ezeli, or o'neal

i used to be really bad shooter. i didn't understand what i was doing wrong so i had to read a ton and watch a ton. i'm getting better but i still need consistency. it's much easier to know what you're doing wrong than to actually do it right.

actually i used to shoot free throws like deandre jordan. feet squared up, elbows in, both feet at the line. it's just the way a majority of elementary, middle, and high school PE teachers and coaches teach and it's pretty wrong. good shooters don't shoot like that. free throws or jump shot

durant is basically a 6' 10" shooting guard. as variable as curry's form is durant's form is always exactly the same. zero variance. i think he's just trained like that.

i was watching nash shoot free throws the other day and he almost does the feet straight thing. it's very slightly turned. but he does an index finger release. the bigger your pecs are the more you have to turn cuz your pecs get in the way and nash is pretty skinny.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

shooting form is exactly the same. same with ray allen. shooting form is always exactly the same.

also the feet turned free throw is not a definite thing. the main reason you want to do it so you can line your arm up. but you can set your feet square and just rotate your body sideways. it's really really awkward, but some people (usually kind of flexible) can pull it off. it's inconsistent tho unless you've practiced a ton because the amount you rotate is going to be a little different every time

1 person likes this.
  12. Neo_Version 7

Last Curry question because there is still a ton of basketball to talk about but do you see him bolting GS and joining a superteam if he still doesn't have a ring in the next 5-6 years?

13. Brothersport

3 players have ever had playoff games w/ 25 pts, 10 rebs, 15 ast. Big O, Paul, and now Westbrook.

Woj: https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/462837249248591872
    Jeeeeez

Can't believe we get LAC-OKC in just the SECOND ROUND.

1 person likes this.
  14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

that's such a hard question. who knows. i mean chris paul left and that was basically his hometown. lebron left and he's from cleveland.

it's hard to see golden state improving tho. they don't have any picks for the like the next 4 years

No picks incoming

2014 first round draft pick to Utah
    Golden State's 2014 1st round pick to Utah [Denver-Golden State-Utah, 7/10/2013]

2014 second round draft pick to Minnesota
    Golden State's 2014 2nd round pick to Minnesota [Golden State-Minnesota, 6/27/2013]

2015 second round draft pick to Philadelphia
    Golden State's 2015 2nd round pick to Philadelphia (via Indiana) [Golden State-Indiana, 12/19/2011 and then Indiana-Philadelphia, 2/20/2014]

2016 second round draft pick to Utah
    Golden State's 2016 2nd round pick to Utah [Denver-Golden State-Utah, 7/10/2013]

2017 first round draft pick to Utah
    Golden State's 2017 1st round pick to Utah [Denver-Golden State-Utah, 7/10/2013]

2017 second round draft pick to Utah
    Golden State's 2017 2nd round pick to Utah [Denver-Golden State-Utah, 7/10/2013]

2018 second round draft pick to Denver
    Golden State's 2018 2nd round pick to Denver [Denver-Golden State-Utah, 7/10/2013]

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

reggie miller, also arguably the best shooter ever, had a very peculiar form. his wrists would end up touching or even crossed on the follow through:

16. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Stop this shooter mess, no one shoots better than Swaggy P!

/thread

2 people like this.
  17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

he does have a really weird form. he almost shoots it with both hands

also larry bird. he has a slight hitch shot

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

notice the release point is directly above his head. typically you see that in bad shooters. like deandre jordan will shoot like that. and kawhi leonard used to shoot like that before the spurs fixed his shot.

and of course fisher has his bad hitch shot

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

so clearly you can be a great shooter with odd form, but i think there's a reason why it's super rare. hitch shots are getting really really rare. players used to do it a lot more. i think originally people used to throw an underhand shot, but at some point people started doing a jump shot cuz it was obviously better.

18. Brothersport

chuck hayes knows wassup

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

20. Neo_Version 7

Get your lint rollers outta here

2 people like this.