1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

EMART is talking about his neighborhhood.

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

He is serious, but he sounds like a dweeb on the radio.

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

It's the lifetime ban and $2.5m fine.

I hope it just takes time to get all the other owners to sign-off and get him to sell the team though or else Doc and numerous players will be demanding to opt out of their contract next year.

4. edmorel

2.5 mln and banned for life. They can't legally make him sell, but they are going to try and make life impossible for him so that he has no choice but to sell. Of course if you are him and these guys are trying to bleed you to death, you hire a team of super lawyers to sue the league for costing you a couple hundred million in the value of the team.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

"I will urge the board of governors to exercise its authority to force a sale of the team." - Adam Silver

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Pfff. He's not selling unless he chooses to. You're ignoring the fact he owns the team outright and answers to nobody. Property rights are not that simple. And, all convenient bluster aside, there is no appetite among owners to force a move.

He's been the worst owner in the league for 30 years. Do you really think he's going to care? A 5m fine is nothing to a billionaire.

He'll probably transfer ownership, best case in the short term.

He's not a day to day guy anyway. He can just run the team from home. Sure, inconvenient, but this is a major asset which he'll protect.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  7. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

They ought to just sell the team to Magic Johnson with no money down,

8. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Found the ESPN live stream.

One of the questions, "would the NBA be more open to having more black owners?" something along those lines :facepalm:

9. edmorel

in order for the governors to enact force majeure, they have to show that he has harmed the league, not just his own team. The language seems vague enough where a forced sale could take years to work its way through the court system. Also not sure if I am another owner, that I just want forced sales going through on people's personal beliefs.

10. edmorel

when you sell to Magic, you are really selling to Wall Street :lookaround:

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Whoopsadaisy. $1,820.

12. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

I'm not sure how all that stuff works, but I think all that goes to an independent arbitrator so it might not take as long as you think.

13. edmorel

damnit, just realized I'm turning this into CEsspool :(

Back to basketball, if Pacers lose next game, who gets traded, Hibbert? Stephenson? Hill? West? They are ateam built to beat Miami, but in order to beat Miami you have to play against Miami and with the Hawks (who will be better next year), rising Bullets team, a Derrick Rose (or Carmelo) led Chicago, they may never make it to Miami in a playoffs so do you reset your team?

14. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

Hibbert gotz to go.... he either straight up quit on the team or is a total headcase.

I've never seen anyone that young fall off like that.

15. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

So, are we to assume Vogel gets shitcanned? I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of Hibbert, Scola, or Hill tbh. They probably would get rid of Turner too if they hadn't just acquired him

16. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Of course, I knew that. The Guggenheim Group bought the Dodgers, not Magic.

And that Russki bought the Nets, not Jay-Z.

I'm fine with increased black ownership in sports. But it would be nice if they contributed the equity and had a more vested interest.

And it remains to be seen if black owners will be better for black players. Sure players will have that feel good period when their team becomes black owned. But will it really be better for them.

MJ has not been a great owner for his players economic interests. Look at his hard ball actions during the lock out. When the rubber meets the road, players will want to play for an owner that is best for their interests, black or white.

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

paul george got robbed and had his all star ring stolen. damn dude just can't catch a break

1 person likes this.
  18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I saw that. Same thing happened to Chris Bosh not too long ago. I guess if you're a pro athlete, everyone knows you've got money and exactly when you'll be out of town

19. edmorel

well looking at his play this series, you could say he robbed the NBA of an All Star ring :rimshot:

2 people like this.
  20. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

last night on the chatter, kenny and chuck were unanimous in the opinion that when a team loses by 7-10 points, you can point at the coach. When it loses by more, it's the players. not sure what this means about vogel's future ... one of the roles of a coach is to keep his team focused ... but when a team in any sport goes off the board like that, there's got to be a MAJOR back story.