1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I don't think he can be forced to sell. This isn't a police state where you can be forced by public opinion to give up an asset that you have clear ownership of. Unless that kind of power is specifically given to the commissioner in the NBA by laws (answer: no)

However, I do think it's entirely fair that he be bitch slapped for his comments. And I mean literally someone coming up and slapping the dentures out of his foul worthless mouth. Preferably while he's shown on the Kiss Cam

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

sterling doesn't own the NBA he owns a franchise thats under the umbrella of the NBA.

its akin to owning a starbucks/McDonalds/Kryspie Kreme franchise. you own some brick and mortar stores, but once you start getting into shenanigans that the company board of directors doesn't like, you can lose the franchise.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It all depends on what the league governing documents say, obviously. HRoi, where does the "no" answer come from? Not doubting you, but I would be very surprised to learn the league doesn't retain some fairly broad authority along the lines of "conduct detrimental to the NBA".

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i'd be surprised if there wasn't a moral turpitude clause, but considering the moral standards of many pro sports team owners, i'm not sure being a racist would qualify. operating standard might be the old "caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl"

5. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

An important question remains unanswered,

[​IMG]

Who is the girl pictured above between the Hoe and the racist?

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Fair point. I mean, the California Bar has a moral turpitude standard and I've been practicing for over 20 years . . .

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

And can't somebody buy her a sandwich?

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

thankfully, journalism has not gone in for any such shenanigans.

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

No knowledge, just a belief that the commish would not be granted powers to strip an owner of his team. These powers and by laws, after all, are created and approved by the owners themselves, who each have a powerful disincentive to facilitate their own demise.

With that said, I'm sure Stern during his reign had a fairly influential voice in getting franchises to change hands. I just don't think he ever would have been able to 'fire' an owner who'd dug in his heels

More realistically, Silver has powers to fine (definitely this, as Mark Cuban has shown us), suspend or remove draft picks. He'll probably also be forced to go through some bullshit sensitivity training

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

well sterns have a big hand in stepiens deciding to sell the cavaliers to the gund brothers but that team was terrible. so... who knows

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

1 person likes this.
  12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Isn't this the Marge Schott situation all over again? It would surprise me if the NBA did not have similar tools to deal with an owner who is a public embarrassment. The funny thing is, the Clippers would still be terrible if the Commissioner didn't block the Hornets' trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers. The Commissioner giveth, and he taketh away.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

14. wojt

wojt Senior member

What did Sterling say this time?

I sort of agree, he is decent man to man but boy he gets lost of defense it's hilarious sometimes his defense lapses are pure gold :rotflmao:

15. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

Nice. Honestly, there should be a bidding war for Stan Van this offseason.

16. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

IIRC Schott was overthrown by her minority partners. That's different - an internal power struggle among company owners - albeit something that was precipitated by similar shitty behavior

18. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Classic pic, RFX. If that happened today, you can bet he'd become a meme :laugh:

19. johanm

johanm Senior member

99% sure that Adam Silver and Donald Sterling are currently hammering out the details of a deal whereby the NBA will announce tomorrow that the Clippers ownership is being transferred to Eric Miller, Sterling's son-in-law. Silver will announce this as some type of extraordinary punitive measure, even though this has been Sterling's transition plan all along.

20. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

So, I wonder what college team Frank Vogel will be coaching next year........