NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

:(

but... this does raise the chances significantly that the celtics can miss the playoffs in not so embarrassing fashion.

bold prediction for this year:

the celtics blow up the team and get even more potential draft lottery picks... and finally nab that elusive first pick of 2013 draft!

(this will be david sterns last fixed draft, the kyrie irving one being sorta obvious... then the new orleans one being wicked obvious).

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

We get on each other quite a bit but upon reflection if the wheels came off my team I'd be doing what you're doin too.

I'm really surprised actually. I thought Lakers would win it all.

Despite our partisan bickering I'm sorry man.

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

well it looks like they're gonna beat OKC. lol Westbrook and his hero ball 6-for a million shooting %

this is probably the best move at this point. you'd know more than i but doesn't this mean Rondo misses half of next season too (making next season a lost cause as well)?

trade Garnett, let Pierce retire a Celtic (if he'll take a lot less money, otherwise let him walk too), and rebuild

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

Lakers motherfuckers Lakers.

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

oh, so who takes Rondo's spot in the ASG? any chance they slide some of the perimeter players over and give his spot to Brook Lopez

7. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I've only seen OKC 5-6 times in the last two seasons but whenever I have seen them I always think to myself, this is a team that will not win a championship with Russell Westbrook. He takes too many shots for a PG on a team that has other scorers. What was the last team that won a championship with a PG averaging 19 shots a game?

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Lakers FTW? Over Okc? No chance. 3rd under SA.

2 seasons? Wow. I watch them that many times in the regular season.

Westbrook is a special character. He's not really a point guard, and the team's style is pretty nontraditional. That's why I thought Nash should have gone to OKC this season, he's have been a monster off the bench.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i don't know how to search for these things, but my guess would be the Isaiah Thomas Pistons - although i wouldn't be surprised if you told me he didn't take 19+ a game

not coincidentally, this is how Miami finally won - Dwyane Wade finally accepted that it was perfectly fine to defer to the best player on the planet and feed off his game. if Westbrook could just accept that he is not the best player on the team they would go much farther. that endgame play where Durant starts way out at the top of the 3pt line and is spaced by four shooters is terrifying. it's much better than the head-down, let's let Russy charge his way into a pool of quicksand play that OKC seems to prefer these days

10. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

The problem is more him shooting 40% than it is him taking 19 shots. He's always due for some stinkers where he goes 1 on 5 and shoots 5 for 20 or whatever.

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

the problem is that when its the point guard hoisting up the majority of shots, even if he shoots descently, is that the team does not get into a good groove. Its one thing if Durant is hoisting them up and missing, you can keep the ball away from him and feed other people. When the guy in charge of running the team and distributing is hoisting them up and missing, it puts the team in a funk. No one else gets a feel for the game by getting a lot of touches an people start just standing around. To his credit, he averages a good amount of assists but I think he needs to become a more efficient offensive player and cut down on the shots for the team to realize its full potential.

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

westbrook is still a peon when it comes to mind games. russell obviously wanted to "out kobe" kobe and kobe ironically turned into what russell westbrook should be and eeked out a win.

its fun seeing kobe become a distributer, but then again its also fucking :facepalm: when you realize that kobe's doing this just now.

i hope it lasts and kobe finally adds this wrinkle to his game to extend his career even further, but like wife beaters and heroin addicts people will usually eventually go back to their nature regardless.

13. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Yes, and the great irony of yesterday's game is that these sentences usually apply to Kobe Bryant.

14. Vickt

Vickt Senior member

D Rose jacked up nearly 20 shots a game in his MVP season and hit 45%, worse than Westbrook that year... Get teammates involved early then dominate late. Westbrook is more smack your head and ask yourself why the hell did he take that shot.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member