• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...akers-growing-concerned-unhappy-dwight-howard

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
hell nah that nikka ain't goin nowhere

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
can't even stand the look of d'antoni's ***** ass scowl sittin there on the bench all the time

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This article got me laughing. Me my friends used to joke around on who we could beat or come close to beating in the NBA and they always say Scalabrine (no joke) or Madsen and I always tell them they had no clue what the hell they were talking about because NBA players surpass D-League and I told them probably couldn't even beat most of the lower division college player but they always laughed at me. And then I read this and there was doubt in my mind that most fo my friends that were talking won't even score a basket against any NBA players. :lol:
Link to the vid: http://boston.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=8213307

14min and 25sec mark: FINALLY!

its when they finally have an athletic black guy going at Scal. The other two were caucasian.

^this same situation happened when Joe Kleine (the 90's tall caucasian NBA stiff) showed up at the Providence College Basketball summer camp I went to in the early 90's. The thing is though Joe Kleine was a ******* muscular scary assed 6'11" monster still in his prime - compared to the soft looking retired Scalabrine.

the thing I remember is when kleine would rebound he'd naturally slap the ball when grabbing it. it was so loud and scary and violent - that in retrospect I think klein may have been taking steroids. he was rebounding like that even with one on one when he didn't have to.

He just out physical-ed the top players (3 of which when to division 1 schools) and even the Providence college players. He then had a shooting contest with Eric Murdock (1st round pick of the Jazz - and possible "john stockton successor " :lol: ). They were hitting half court shots using regular shooting form and bank shot threes from the baselines.

Last edited:

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

14min and 25sec mark: FINALLY!

its when they finally have an athletic black guy going at Scal. The other two were caucasian.

^this same situation happened when Joe Kleine (the 90's tall caucasian NBA stiff) showed up at the Providence College Basketball summer camp I went to in the early 90's. The thing is though Joe Kleine was a ******* muscular scary assed 6'11" monster still in his prime - compared to the soft looking retired Scalabrine.

the thing I remember is when kleine would rebound he'd naturally slap the ball when grabbing it. it was so loud and scary and violent - that in retrospect I think klein may have been taking steroids. he was rebounding like that even with one on one when he didn't have to.

He just out physical-ed the top players (3 of which when to division 1 schools) and even the Providence college players. He then had a shooting contest with Eric Murdock (1st round pick of the Jazz - and possible "john stockton successor " :lol: ). They were hitting half court shots using regular shooting form and bank shot threes from the baselines.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This article got me laughing. Me my friends used to joke around on who we could beat or come close to beating in the NBA and they always say Scalabrine

I was playing a game in a rented gym a few years ago and a new guy showed up with one of the regulars in a Celtics T-shirt. He made some dumb move and another guy yelled out Scalabrine. About 5 mins later he pretended to pull up with an ankle, left and never saw him again. Such is the power of that name.

i used to run regularly with one of the guys on the USC team. guy almost never played (he did have a scholarship though) for a school that wasn't even competitive at the time in D1, much less the NCAA. dude could still run the table playing with any four scrubs, that's how big the difference is between even marginal athletes at that level and the best playground ballers.

Smush Parker is the only guy I can think of that made the jump

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Lakers are really bad this year.

Has anyone pointed that out?

Anyway they will be back next year so it really doesn't matter.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My nephew plays for a DIII school and he usually visits in the summer. Whenever he visits we go play locally and people always ask him if he plays due to his height. He tells them he plays DIII so they kind of give him a look like, "so basically you're not a player, you're just a tall skinny dude on some ****** small school's team". He then proceeds to dunk continuously on them, block everything etc. They then get pissed at him. He has gone to a lot of camps with a lot of D1 players and he tells me that the difference between one of those gusy and him is just vast. He says its hard to explain, he can "do" everything they can, yet he can't really do everything they can. He is very skillful and a good player but the thought of him palying against guys that are 6'10" and can dribble, shoot, etc. is pretty ridiculous. The thought of a wekend warrior being able to do that is laughable.

On another not, I once met Charles Oakley at a tailor he used. He wasn't physically imposing, he was obviously tall relative to me but nothing that would make you think this guy is a defensive/rebounding monster. Not sure what he was listed at, but he was not more than 6'7"-6'8" in person and didn't look that strong. I don't know how he did it and don't know how guys that are taller and stronger than him can't seem to rebound well.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I think a rangy, athletic amateur with skills might give Steve Kerr a good game. Kerr is one of the best shooters in league history, but he didn't create his own offense and wasn't a good defender. You would have to apply the condition that all possessions start 30 feet away from the basket.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I told ya about D'Antoni. Surprised he is making it to the all star break although I guess LA's hands are tied. D'Antoni is guy that you get to coach a young, average team that has one star, ideally a guard or someone who can shoot from the outside. He does not know how to coach a veteran team with multiple stars and has no concept of how the game is played inside the paint. Actually, he would probably really thrive in college.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

D'Antoni is guy that you get to coach a young, average team that has one star, ideally a guard or someone who can shoot from the outside. He does not know how to coach a veteran team with multiple stars and has no concept of how the game is played inside the paint.

Yes, exactly. And the best living person with a successful track record of managing veteran stars is....Phil Jackson :lol:

Vickt

Reaction score

On another not, I once met Charles Oakley at a tailor he used. He wasn't physically imposing, he was obviously tall relative to me but nothing that would make you think this guy is a defensive/rebounding monster. Not sure what he was listed at, but he was not more than 6'7"-6'8" in person and didn't look that strong. I don't know how he did it and don't know how guys that are taller and stronger than him can't seem to rebound well.

Because if you didn't let him have the rebound, he'd kick your ass. Man, you're lucky he didn't catch on to you mentally questioning his toughness. Would've gotten Barkley'd at least.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Because if you didn't let him have the rebound, he'd kick your ass. Man, you're lucky he didn't catch on to you mentally questioning his toughness. Would've gotten Barkley'd at least.

funny enough, when I bumped into him this was after they had just lost a playoff series, forgot if it was to Indiana or Chicago. After getting his autograph, I asked him, "Oak, what happened against indiana/miami?" He sternly said, "ask ewing".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads