NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

if in their absolute primes? i'd pick kareem. he's like 7'4" in real life i think so he can block shots standing and wouldn't be stopped offensively.

but its telling how he says Lebron is a "5 on 5 player".

"LeBron is a terrific all-around, five-on-five basketball player who's an all-time great. But I'd get him."

I know the context of the question is who's better 1 on 1, but ultimately in an NBA/basketball sense isn't it better to be a better 5 on 5 player?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

yeah, a big man versus a guard is not really a good matchup. If I had to take a big to try and beat a Kobe in a one on one game, I'd probably go with Bill Russell in his prime for the defense or a "small" agile center like Hakeem in his prime.

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

of course. and that's why bigs are glorified. in a 5-5 context, a good big is probably more important than anything but a top echelon guard. but 1-1 is a different thing.

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I think we may be defining the word "political" differently. To me, "political" would be to influence people to vote for you via vids or other form of media or by bribes or whatever. The starters, though some do not deserve it, are just simply the most popular and once was on top of their game or of the best in the league so to me, voting for Dwight over Duncan isn't about being political, it's simply about voting for favorite player or the more popular one because more people know him (I'm not really a big Dwigth fan, just an example). Others vote for who actually deserves it but even then, that is a thin line and you could argue to no end who is actually better or deserves it better in most cases.

At the end of the day, I think Duncan is great but dude is boring and I don't really want to see him in the ASG doing the most boring fundamental shit on scoring and rebounding. I want to see Dwight swat those shots to the 5th row or an alley-oop dunk from Griffin. Odds are even if the media or coaches votes for everyone, the starters will still likely stand as is minus one or two players and funny enough, both center positions on each side is the questionable choices.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

that's why I picked Wilt. he supposedly had excellent agility, speed, hops and ball handling skills for his size. but I never saw him play so I don't have an opinion.

right at this moment though? Kevin Durant might be the best 1-1 player

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

that's what kobe said, too. well, he said kd was the one who would give him the most trouble.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Steph Curry out for awhile with a sprained ankle again. injured it picking up a rebound at shootaround...LOL.

i'm not getting it, those ankle ligaments must be made of rubber bands or something

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Lou Williams out for the season.

BTW, there a better backup PG than Andre Miller? Minus Bledsoe, how can you beat what he gives you? And never misses a game.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

10. Vickt

Vickt Senior member

Jarrett Jack is probably in the mix, if not the leader IMO.

Edit: Oh and John Wall right now if you wanna cheat :embar:

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Pfff

He's rocking tonight. 23 pts, 6 assts, 4 boards, 2 blocks and steals? 5 games back still from the bench? Washington is the best worst team in the NBA right now. Won 4 of 5 since he's been back? In with a chance tonight against LAC? Wall, Beal, Nene... nice mix there with the rest of the cast.

12. Vickt

Vickt Senior member

Confused. I love Wall, I'm saying cheat because he is normally a starter. Not really sure why he's still coming off the bench. Wall did kind of contribute to the sac loss with 2! Missed fts at then end and then the carry TO vs LAC. He's a jump shot and some mental toughness away from being a superstar.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

He's on a minute restriction because of injury. He's working his way into the starting lineup again, I think it will be the next game. He played over 30 mins yesterday.

He's got a few areas to improve on. Too many turnovers, questionable shot selection, 3pt shooting is shit. But goddam, anyone in the league play faster other than maybe Rose or Westbrook?

Mentally, in the couple of games I have seen him play, he looked tougher.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

15. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

earl clark starting instead of pau.
    \AHHAHAHA