1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

when you're in the neighborhood let me know. i'll even dine with entertainment lawyers.

2. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

The Knicks are interested in trading for Jeremy Lin...

[​IMG]

So bad you know it's true.

1 person likes this.
  3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

:lol:

1 person likes this.
  4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

So that's what people mean when they talk about declining journalistic standards . . .

:)

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

yeah, right. that's EXACTLY what they mean.

6. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Whaaat? Hiring? :D

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I don't watch commercials so I'm not up to date on social references. The last commercial I recall seeing was Wade and his 5 or something cell phone related.

8. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

If only we could bamboozle the Rockets and a third team for a Chandler/Melo/Felton for Parsons/Lin/Asik trade. Rockets are in win it all today mode, so Melo should be very attractive to them and Felton could back up their starter. They have no use for Chandler, but send him to another team and get two good bench players to shore up their bench.

Either that, or trade JR Smith for Steve Novak

9. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I think Shump and Hardaway are the only players that would see any kind of return. Hardaway is much more important to the future of the Knicks than Shump, who has yet to prove he's of any value defensively or offensively. He seems like a totally different person this season with none of the fire of his rookie year. As an aside, I don't know why Tyson Chandler isn't receiving more criticism. Maybe it's because he has a good attitude and is generally liked but he has been turrible this season.

Let's be honest though, they should pack it up and look towards getting Melo back and another star for next year.

10. edmorel

Shump is a better two way player than Hardaway, trading either of those guys is a mistake, but one the Knicks will most likely make. Woodson has proven to be a young player killer, it seems to be his forte. Chandler hates Woodson's defensive schemes, probably hates that he touches the ball offensively 2 times a game given how much he's asked to put out defensively. Setting aside Dolan, who is the biggest issue, the Knicks biggest problem is Woodson. He has proven to be an awful decison maker, awful at his rotations and cowtows to whatever Melo wants. Yesterday's game, they come back and are on an offensive roll, have a lapse (the Miller three) and he calls a timeout, rips into them, kills the momentum and sets up the only play he ever runs (ball to Melo). Hardaway was beasting at that point, Prigioni is a solid 3 point shooter but the Knicks go to an ice cold Melo, everyone knows they are going there, he's played like 42 minutes at that point (against Randolph no less), what the fuck does Woodson expect to happen exactly????

I am not a Melo hater but I also don't equate him with Durant, like the Knick brass and the Melo lovers seem to do. With the right coach and in the right system (the Triangle for example), Melo could lead the league, efficiently, in scoring for the next 5 years. In this current set-up, where he is the coach, general manager and star, he will always revert to being a 25 shots for 25 points guy and the rest of the team will always play second fiddle, you get him mad and he gets you moved. I don't understand this sickening desire to resign him at all costs or bring in clowns like Jeff Teague. If he walks, fuck him and build a young, dynamic team. You already have shump/hardaway, murray is a good defensive guard. You got an athletic big in Tyler. Stat is playing great off the bench. You don't need Chandler anymore, you aren't going to win a chip in the next 2-3 years so trade him while he has value and get some more young players. Bargnani has actually been very good for the Knicks, and very good defensively one on one, he's just been used horribly wrong by Woodson. The knicks gave away Lin, gave away Copeland, if they had those two along with the current crop of young players, they would have a really nice, young core to work with. Let Melo walk (or better yet, trade him to a contender), trade Chandler and start over. The last time the Knicks were relevant, it was with homegrown, hardworking talent. But first, before anything, fire Woodson.

11. diadem

diadem Senior member

Quote:Bill Simmons' articles are always a good read. So on point about Joe Dumars...what a clown. He is right about Amar'e Stoudemire, though. He was legitimately a superstar before he came to New York. Just so sad how his body broke down.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  12. edmorel

I must be the only person that thinks Simmons is an awful combination of fanboy, troll and Bob Costas-ish "I know more than you".

2 people like this.
  13. diadem

diadem Senior member

Quote:Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a good journalist in the traditional sense of the word, but his op-eds are for the most part based on rational thought (backed up by stats) with a generous slice of sarcasm, which make them entertaining reads for me (except when he talks about the Celtics). I think it's fair to say he does know more than the average NBA fan in terms of player contracts, cap rules, and transactions between teams. Also, wasn't he in the running for Bucks GM at one point? Edit: Never mind, that Bucks GM thing was a joke on his part.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

This. Only writers I like on grantland are zach Lowe and dr goldsberry. Simmons is almost insufferable

15. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I have to admit to irrationally liking Melo and wanting him back. It's about his potential to go off and score 62 points that makes him a compelling player if not a superstar. Obviously that's not a good reason to keep him but he sure can be exciting.

16. edmorel

He is his own worst enemy. Too many low percentage shots. Its not the 20-22 shots or whatever he averages, its that 10 of them are taken falling away from 19 feet with two guys hanging on him. Again, put him in a triangle offense, where he plays the Kobe/Jordan role, and he averages 30 points a game and averages 2-3 shots less a game. The Knicks are the worse team for him to be on right now because the coach and owner do whatever he says. He is not Kevin Durant, he does not know how to handle that responsibility or know when he is needed to take 30 shots or when he is needed to take only 15. He is like JR, if they are on the floor, then that means they shoot everytime they touch the ball. He needs a Jackson/Riley/Pop type of coach.

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

pre podcasts/espn TV guy simmons was the best because those that wanted to read his articles read him. but now he's being forced upon an unsuspecting audience.

plus he's the editor in chief of grandland - which as a whole is fucking awesome - but probably creates a ton of resentment because he's like the unqualified guy who gets promoted to president of the company and despite that it flourishes because everyone around him is so much better than him and supports him anyway.

the one thing he is a true expert at is NBA basketball though. he may have different opinions and openly cheer/troll certain fan bases, but he's totally qualified to make nba opinions even if he comes off like a political pundit.

he's actually kind of like jay leno (tonight show version). jay leno has real comedy chops (seriously he does) but his tonight show persona and baggage a huge turnoff to many, but the powers that be realize that the bottom line (page hits, podcast downloads, and popularity = money) is all that matters.

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I enjoy Simmons for what he is. Your point about pre podcast/espn Simmons is a good one. But I have to differ with you on Grantland. Occasionally one of the articles is really good. But most of the time they're all trying way to hard to write "like Bill Simmons", and the lame, forced pop culture references and attempted inside jokes are so intrusive as to make the articles unreadable. Like Simmons' schtick or hate it, but at least if feels like it reflects his actual personality and thinking. Most of the Grantland writers seem to by trying way too hard to ape him rather than finding their own voices.

1 person likes this.
  19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Melo could be the ultimate system offense guy but he'll only subjugate himself if he's playing on the olympics (with ALL-NBA teammates) or the all star game. its so irritating to watch and listen to knick fans call into mike lupica and say things like "see I told you! melo is awesome! look at this ASG performance!"

Then you have last night's game with the knicks heartbreakingly losing to the grizzlies and you can hear Walt Fraiser just kind of giving up and in exasperation (but in a very eloquent and flowery-ly worded way :lol: ) when melo takes a pull up 3 in transition with 4 grizzlies under the basket and 20 seconds left on the shot clock late in the 4th quarter.

If i were the spurs, you could maybe fool the knicks into a trade with kawai leonard as the major piece for carmelo

20. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

jona keri, zach lowe and bill barnwell (and the jalen rose, do you like prince movies, and nFL grand land podcasts) are pure gold. seriously just pure gold. even the super biased stuff from guys like Rafe Bartholomew is great (because there is real journalism going on).

thats enough to make grantland a smashing success. sure there is a lot of useless stuff in their, but grant land is basically the rolling stone for sports or maybe actually engulfing what rolling stone used to be.