1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Very!

You act like these dudes are only doing two handed simple jams. :lol:

What's killing the contest is all the misses and retrys. Back then, you miss the dunk and you have no points or get the lowest points possible. Now they get to try for about a minute or so and even worse when there was no time limit and it just loses the luster of the dunk after you see them try it 10 times.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

^ Yeah, who was the guy who was trying to drunk two balls at the same time? He must have tried it 20 times with no success. So awkward..

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I remember that attempt but forget the name.

The most annoying was Nate Robinsons I think and there was no time limit then. People were cheering him on and I think they kind of just felt bad to boo the guy because he is so small and he was trying so hard yet he just couldn't complete his dunks.

New Slam dunk competition format.

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Do you not think these teams could beat those "defensive" teams? Defense is inefficient.

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

yup. us old dogs. i still think basketball is a team game played by human athletes. it is not improved by being converted to a playstation analog.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yah but it's not like it is done once a week, it's a once a year event where you can showcase what is otherwise impossible to do in-game.

I mean I'll give you a 6 foot ring and show me that you can do half of the dunks these guys will do in the contest.

As for an old dog, go see the Wilkins vs Jordan contest and tell me that isn't entertaining.

There is a reason why the slam dunk contest is the main even for Saturday night and why it is the most looked forward to event, sometimes even more than the actual All Star Game on Sunday.

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I would be tired as fuck after that 90 second dunk freestyle round, even if I was a top pro athlete

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

They'll probably do 3 or 4 max. I mean they have to save some good ones for the later rounds.

I'm sure they can do 5-6 easily if they do not miss any attempts though.

9. diadem

diadem Senior member

Quote:I think this was JaVale McGee.

10. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hope you are kidding. Are you really asking if OKC/Portland/Miami etc would stand a chance against 90's Bulls/Pistons even Knicks :confused:

Can you imagine the way LeBron flops, what would happen on his first drive/dunk against those teams? Durant posting up against Anthony Mason or Dennis Rodman? Any of today's teams holding Jordan to under 30 per game in a series?

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

:foo:Depends on which rules you are applying it to, I mean if it's todays rules, MJ could capitalize and maybe average score 40 a game. bring in those defenders in todays league and they'll probably be suspended every other game if they use the tough 80s/90s defense.

It really is hard to say though because player have to adapt to the rules. If these players today played in the 80s/90s and lived with that same mentality and knew they weren't protected by the officials, then I am Howard and Lebron with their freakish build could stand a knock around round with the best of them. But since they've been babied from the start, obviously they won't be able to go toe to toe if you all of a sudden bring back a primed Oakley with the 80s/90s rules.

Not really trying to defend either eras but there are plenty of other factors to consider in judging whether how a player could play or adapt in the other eras.

12. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, the rules would matter, I am assuming 90's teams/rules and magically time travelling Durant/Lebron etc back to that time.

Anyway, since I brought up Rodman, if you ever go back and look at his games, I've never seen anyone get literally mauled as much as he did under the basket and never get a call. He obviously had his reputation and hijinks which played a part but it was like referees were fine with it being open season on Rodman.

1 person likes this.
  13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

Actually, though I agree with you on most of this, I think Miami is a bad example. Lebron is a big flopper, but if they weren't getting called, I think he'd stop doing it. And I think he, wade, et al, are physical enough that they could play with those '90s teams.

The other thing with Rodman was he had an unbelievable motor. the guy never stopped. three years averaging more than 17 rebounds a game and a career average of 13. and he was only 6-7. never could stand him anyway and i understand from "people who were close to the team" that he had the most unbelievable BO of any pro athlete of any period. :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Well, we know which SF poster it wasn't.
    :rimshot:

15. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

It sure as hell wouldn't have taken me 20 tries. I flourish under pressure.

16. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Like a diamond, huh? Or crude oil, whichever.

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Its true. I suspect refs hated Rodman so much they let everyone rape him. The guy got completely mauled all the time. He didn't seem bothered, he actually sorta fed off it. So what, anyway. Rodman did his fair share of it. He was a real piece of work in San Antonio.

This too. The guy was living hard, late nights, girls, drinks, etc. He just had energy other guys couldn't cope with.

Nobody will top Bill Walton's BO. Apparently he went for a period early in his career where he refused to shower for weeks on end. It was impossible to defend him without being assaulted with it.

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Dude, you need to study up on your SF memes. You're not the person I was mocking at all.

19. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Lillard bound to win something during the All Star weekend, right? :lol:

He's involved in 5 events:

Rising Star Game
    Skills Challenge
    3pt Shootout
    Slam Dunk
    All Star Game

20. jet

jet Senior member

lakers baby