1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

EVERYONE stays hot against the lakers this year. really ... ryan kelly guarding carmelo anthony? pocket knife at gunfight.

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The lakers are actually doing a good job of tanking while putting somewhat of an entertaining product on the floor. Just like the 76ers.

Actually if LA sucks a bit more, or gets bumped up by the ping pong balls (where's Stern to put in the fix?), they could end up with someone like Marcus Smart or Julius Randle next year

1 person likes this.
  3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG]

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

More like no weapon against an Abrams.

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the kid from austrailia just declared for the draft.

[VIDEO]
    [/VIDEO]
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

affluent insulated international upbringing from a middling former UNC jordan teammate/nba/international pro league(s) father...well spoken and introspective... little kobe-ish huh? maybe grant hill (his game is very grant-hill ish )

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

kobe has been ruled out for the next 3-4 weeks and will miss all-star game. Do you guys think he even returns this season?

7. jet

jet Senior member

i just wanna see him in a suit with a different color pair of his shoes on every game.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

there was a picture of kobe's legs from behind and his right calf muscles were a lot smaller and smoother than this left one. apparently it's common after an achilles injury (e.g. elton brand) and takes a long time to rehabilitate. it might've been the reason why he got injured again. also he can't really jump off his right leg anymore so he can't do fadeaways and it's laborious for him to pivot. he might come back this season but he's going to be really bad

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

there's no point in him coming back. in fact, i think it would probably make the team worse (if that is even possible). right now, bad as they are (very good dleague?), they at least have to work together. kobe comes in and everyone automatically defers. ball stops. half-speed kobe has to manufacture shots on his own. disaster.

10. jet

jet Senior member

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

the guys i feel sorry for are kendall marshall, brought up from D league and AVERAGING a double-double (though he plays defense like a point guard), and pau, who is very quietly having a really good season over the last couple months. haven't got the stats, but i'm guessing he's doing 20-12 since he got over that weird flu ... or whatever it is.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Kobe will return but they'll be just as bad anyways so they'll still be in the lottery pick anyways, honestly the last thing I ever expected from the Lakers, as long as Kobe was playing at least.

Speaking of the lottery, I read this a few days ago:

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I feel differently. For Marshall, dude got the opportunity of a lifetime, he is now on the NBAs radar, I believe he now holds the record for having the most assist as a Laker in their first few games? Dude could get a decent contract down the road because of it and could only get better for him I think.

As for Pau, I hate that dude has to excel when he is the absolute last option in the team now and he is still very underwhelming. His stats looks good but seeing him play, he just looks blah. I feel like he should be doing more since the defense doesn't even bother doubling him and that's a big deal because he is the lone and only star of the team. I'd be impressed if he was doing 30/15 in this stretch of losses. I mean the interest on him from other teams are still very, very low because of it though part of it is also his age. I don't know, i've gone sour on Pau for a couple of years now, Kobe has to smack him to wake up and to stop being soft.

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

this is true. i was talking about having to play on a losing team.

totally disagree, but this is typical of pau criticism. how many 20-12 guys are there in the nba right now? you'd be impressed by 30/15. who the f*ck is doing 30/15? granted, he's not a dominant physical force, he's a finesse player. he's one of those guys who never looks like he's doing anything and then you look at the stat sheet and realize he very quietly outrebounded everyone on the floor. i get frustrated by his defense, too, but this year i put a lot of that down to the guys he's playing with. they're totally disorganized defensively. watch closely and you'll see that many times on plays it looks like he got burned on, he's rotated to help out on somebody else's man, but nobody rotated to his. I'm not trying to claim that pau is a dominant NBA player ... just saying that almost any GM in the league would take a consistent 20-12 and be very, very happy.

15. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Damn, bring up the Lakers and this thread gets flooded with a page full of replies in an hour. :lol:

That is the power of Nick Young.

16. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

That's the thing though, he is a 20/12 guy in a team with no other option. I just feel like he should/could do more, maybe it's something inside me that just want the dude gone now too.

Yeah asking for 30/15 is ridiculous to ask but I feel dude could be at 25-30 pts easily at least with his skill and talent but dude seems to check out of game more often than I'd like. Trying to shoot way too many jumpshots when his only real move left these days is the stutter fake and then taking a jumpshot anyways because no one bites, where he elevates like 2 inches off the floor. Being a finesse player should be in his benefit though, it used to do so for sure, now his shots looks forced.

And now dude is hurt again.

It really is just a torture watching the whole team play right now and I'd really be more impressed with his numbers if he wasn't surrounded by NBA rejects and D-League players and is actually being doubled but teams just doesn't seem concerned with the the rest of the players so it feels like they just let him score if he can and he still could only do 20 per game. Just not liking what I am seeing, but hey what do you expect from an over critical Laker fan.

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

could be worse, you can be tantalized by Jeff Green as a celtics fan. he's like dominique wilkins on one night, then turns into invisible man another night.

the one underrated annoying thing about gasol from being a laker hater is just how floppy he is on such a euro-level. so he can be down low and start to feel contact and you can start hearing him yell/groan loudly even over the TV like he's being manhandled and then he hits a small jump hook and even the lakers announcers get giddy about how hard that shot was under all that contact. then they replay it and its was a simple play where the defender didn't even touch him and its pau gasol (probably a legitimate 7'2" tall center) who did a basic turn around jump hook from 5 feet that couldn't of been blocked even if he didn't jump.

if that CP3 trade did go through, I bet he would've had a couple 25/12 seasons by now. CP3 is the kind of player that understands that getting the rock to a big man in great position is better than throwing lobs for sport center highlights.

18. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

If the CP3 trade happened, Howard would still be n gold and purple right now so yeah you'd still see lots of lobs as highlights.

I'm just really curious how the team would have been if Nash and Howard were both 100% last year.

I mean the Lakers biggest acquisition last year was Kaman and dude is a DNP because he doesn't fit in with D'Antoni's system, did no one in the Lakers organization know this? Did D'Antoni not know that Kaman was not a running big man like Amare?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

:lol:

its kind of a sad day when knicks fans and laker fans complain about the same things. i know the lakers chances of hitting the lottery's top 4 picks are really low. but those complaints you have about kaman and what not? they are probably doing it for tanking purposes. they seriously need to suck badly this year to make the most off that preciously rare lakers lottery pick in the loaded draft.

20. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

the magic of jimmy buss. as good an argument for punitive inheritance taxes as i've ever seen.