NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

maybe jerry sloan? how about jvg? svg? philjax?

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Number 1 has been the biggest difference as everyone feeds off it. I can't count the number of times Melo would demand the ball and put up a crazy shot then to be followed by JR Smith or whoever jack up a crazy shot next time down. This season, while he still has the occasional Melo moment, he passes the ball when the shot is not there and everyone else follows suit. JR Smith in particular has had much better shot selection this year and I think that is a result of Melo/Kidd

Number 2, I'm shocked at how well Kidd is still playing and how he still commands the floor when he is on. When he wants to bring the ball up and direct the offense, he does. When he is off the ball, he is directing the teammates on where to be on the floor. Even in the timeouts, he is explaning the plays to the other guys. And his 3 point shooting has been good enough where the defense gets stretched because they have to stay up on him

Number 3, he was a monster yesterday. How many pick and rolls did he run last year post-Lin? Zero? This year him and Felton are the number one duo on pick and rolls and again, it goes back to Melo letting others command the ball and get plays rather than him hogging it.

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

You are right. I forgot to mention his three-point shooting. He worked on that and it shows.
    On a related note -- something I saw last night, which made me cringe, pointed out the difference between a player like Felton and Kidd. At some point where the score was close, maybe even when the Nets had pulled ahead (in the third, I think), Felton brought the ball up and as soon as he crossed the half-court line he handed the ball to Melo, literally. A hand-off. It was like he was helpless and said "you do something, I can't." I saw that as the point-guard just giving up and not knowing what to do. I couldn't imagine Kidd doing that (unless it was to run a set play). I don't remember, but I would bet Kidd wasn't in the game at that point. Felton is having a good year, but that sequence really bothered me.

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I blame Deron Williams. Guy is not a team player at all and seems like a borderline cancer.

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have not been a close follower of Williams's game, but last night he did a pretty nice job of running the point and setting up his teammates. I didn't notice much in the way of sophisticated plays, but he certainly managed to break down the defense off the dribble and then find the open man as the Knicks rotated to him. I have no idea what he is like in the locker-room or as a team leader on the floor, but he certainly does his point-guard job well.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    excuse me. jet and i were trying to have a conversation about the lakers. do you mind?

7. edmorel

Felton has two issues that he needs to work on. He occasionally loses confidence and "disappears" in the middle of a game (not unlike Lin). He also sometimes goes into "scoring" mode and he will chuck up a shot the minute he crosses the half court line, whether any of his teammates are back or not and whether he is 6 for 8 or 2 for 12.

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

is Nash coming back next week

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

probably. lakers. baby. lakers.
    in the meantime, clips have run off 11 straight. they're playing with a lot of confidence, but they have played a lot of middle-tier teams. the real test will come when the string gets broken and they have to bounce back against tough competition. that's hard for young teams.

10. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

But will getting Nash back be enough to right the sinking ship?

I think not.

Right now it's looking like OKC and Memphis.

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

FTFY

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i don't think we'll know the answer to that until mid-February. if (and it's a big if) the lakes are to do well in teh playoffs this year, i think they're going to have to work their way up from the bottom of the bracket.
    and like rfx said. clippers. baby. clippers.

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Bandwagoneer

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I know that's a trap and I ain't falling for it.

15. edmorel

Grizzlies and Clips, while very good teams, don't strike me as championship teams. I think one of those two will make it to the Western Conf. Finals, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.