1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Don't forget that the defensive rules have changed as well.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

was searching for the nick young 360 miss .gif when i came across this jr smith brick and it pretty much sums up the knicks. watch all the other knicks watching jr miss a shot. no one running towards the basket, everyone standing near the 3 point line, including their center. and the knicks miss mikki moore than they expected

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UmHDxFLhp...AAG-g/rJDAX_lOiMA/s1600/JR+Smith+Bad+Shot.gif

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

it's all about that Amare defense.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

C'mon guys. We get it.

[​IMG]

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

bahahha, shot it still on its way up when the knicks start running back to play "defense"

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Jeremy Lin does a pretty good job of staying with Parker after being screened off by both Duncan and Amare

4 people like this.
  8. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

But the Knicks are a team to "watch out for" in the playoffs? The Dubs would take 10 out of 10 best of seven series against the Knicks.

I agree that the Dubs are overhyped a bit and most def enjoying a bit of that flavor of the week shine, but they are a fundamentally good team.
    Their main problem is not on D as casual observers assume, but on ball security. They turn the fucking ball over a ton, and mostly on no pressure plays, just lazy, indifferent, or plain dumb passes.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

A torrent popped up with the 1984 finals in it. Lakers - Celtics. Great basketball.

Its interesting to see the changes in the game after 30 years. Tons of fast breaks. Almost no 3 pointers taken. Lots of low post basketball and skill moves. Excellent ball movement. Very few stoppages compared to today. You think the game is faster now, but its not, the players are faster. The pace of game 1 is much more up-tempo than modern games.

Abdul-Jabbar was devastating on offense. Worthy was so much quicker than anyone his size. McHale was so skilled and a great offensive rebounder. And Bird, I can't think of a guy with a higher BBall IQ.

Very entertaining, I am definitely going to watch G2.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    clippers/wolves last night was fun to watch. love is a beast, and the clips made petkovich look like an all-star. but somehow pulled it out -- without griffin and barnes (BS flag 2 call).

eta: actually, that reminds me that there were two highly questionable, potentially game-changing calls, both went against hte clips. at the end of the first half, they called a shooting foul on a last-minute heave by kevin love, that resulted in three-fts to pull within 2. then when CP3 got hammered much worse and came much closer to the basket at the end of reg, they said it was not a shot. They called barnes for a flag2 and dqed him when he got the ball on a block (admittedly, a hard foul), but didn't give love even a flag 1, when he clipped griffin in the forehead with his elbow intentionally on a pivot, opening a cut. weird.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yah saw that game, it was insane. Didn't think the Clips could pull it off but that steal at the end of regulation to tie the game and send it to overtime was a blessing.

Pekovic missing all those shots though was a pure, pure luck! Before OT, Pekovic got two shots that he was making with ease and both bounced out, in OT, he got two other lay-ups that simply rolled out.

It's funny because in the last Clips-Wolves game, Clips won by a missed hook by Pekovic and missed tip by Love as well:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

But yeah, seems like the refs did have money on the Wolves, lots of BS call all around and mostly against the Clips. Flagrant 2 on Barnes was a definite BS as it was clear he went for the ball and actually got the ball, it was simply a hard foul. And that hit on Griffin was nasty, dude already had a wound on his right cheekbone and then another gash to his forehead and nothing but a BS foul on that hit too.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i'm half-thinking that last steal was kind of brilliant on doc's part. here's how it goes -- double rubio and leave martin open so the "safe play" is getting the ball to him in the backcourt. then hit with a really quick double-team.
    and for all of those wolf misses, how about 5 clipper straight misses at the rim halfway through the fourth? that was unreal.
    they're a fun team to watch and they're on a roll.

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

super interesting new proposal for a new way the NBA draft is done:

basically its a wheel system that guarantees #1 picks for every team (regardless of record) every 30 years but no more than that.

so there is no more rewarding the team that didn't make the playoffs.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...ng-good-bye-to-the-lottery-hello-to-the-wheel

this also could produce the opposite of "one of done" players - :lol: where the future lebron/durrant/duncans might end up staying in college for up to 4 years so they can position themselves to go to the team they want (like a returning NBA champion or favorite team or bigger media market).

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I think that steal is like a fast break 3-pointer. Great play if you make it but if you miss, then you look like a fool. While CP3 and Crawford probably wouldn't have looked like a fool if they simply fouled Martin, there was definitely some luck in that possession and CP3 actually grabbing Martins arm a bit so he couldn't recover the ball which turned it into a great play.

CP3 was actually terrible in the fourth, had a couple of kep turnovers that you do not necessarily see him do, very uncharacteristic.

And those missed on the fourth by the Clips, I thought they were still much more difficult than the one that Pekovic missed. I mean two of the Clips miss in the paint were runners by Collison and the follow ups by Griffin were smothered by Love and Pekovic. Really felt like the Clips worked hard but about 10%-15% of that win can be credited to luck.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Grantland has a lot of weird proposals. Like completely eliminating divisions. Or having a tournament for the last seed for playoffs

16. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

this is an actual NBA proposal though that is going through the different front offices.

the NBA should at least think about re-seeding after the 1st round of the playoffs. its worked out well in the NHL.

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Well now that I read the actual article I think it's a great idea and can't wait for it to get implemented. The one thing is not all draft years are equal. Like the drafts of 2003s and 2014s happen with the 2013s. It's possible that a bad team would be really unlucky and end up with top picks in the worst years thereby screwing their teams over for several years. If the voluntary portion gets implemented I imagine a lot of scouting of high school and middle school would happen so owners get the best set to start out.

Actually I also think nba should reseed or do something about the last seed. I also think that divisions should be eliminated or at least not guarantee division leaders seeds in the playoffs.

Tanking is the worst and id be glad to see that go away. Then you have the knicks that are tanking despite having no picks in 2014

18. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^they already do scout middle school kids

I remember way back in 1986 - think about it… the celtics had drafted Len Bias, he was supposed to actually be on that 1986 team too. but the more I think about it, it was because of a trade with seattle they even got that high of a draft pick.

if len didn't overdose that 1987 team would've fucking bean superduperfucking LOADED. hell that 1987 team still went to the finals (4 consecutive finals trips).

i like the wheel system of future draft picks, because it really does give more power to the potential draftees. guys from europe/college can really have control of their 1st contract/team by deciding when they come out (after their 1st year or whenever).

19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

That's a good point. Draft picks can stay longer in college and declare in optimal situations. Of course that assumes that the teams they talk to actually pick them when they want to.

20. Wade

Wade Senior member

Bad idea
    Bad teams would stay bad longer

1 person likes this.