NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

yeah, it's a big concern. the new rules basically make it prohibitively expensive to keep 3 max guys and I believe that the era of superstar laden teams is just about over. I lamented the Thunder breakup over the offseason, which was caused to a great extent by salary cap fears. later on it will be the Heat and probably the Lakers.

as I said before it sucks because the existence of super teams is what made this league so globally popular in the first place (lakers, celtics, bulls)

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I like parody. The English Premier League has amazing parody and is as popular as ever. Formula 1 had its most competitive season in decades and had huge audiences. While I dont watch the NFL I do see the standings and it seems there is parody there as well.

I'm glad the new rules stop this. If guys want to play together, let them sacrifice some dough for it. The more parody, the better. I don't see how its good for the league to have games like Sac - Dal last night.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

:facepalm:

Year English Premier League champions:
    2010-11 Manchester United
    2009-10 Chelsea
    2008-9 Manchester United
    2007-8 Manchester United
    2006-7 Manchester United
    2005-06 Chelsea
    2004-05 Chelsea
    2003-04 Arsenal
    2002-03 Manchester United
    2001-02 Arsenal
    2000-01 Manchester United
    1999-00 Manchester United
    1998-99 Manchester United
    1997-98 Arsenal
    1996-97 Manchester United
    1995-96 Manchester United
    1994-95 Blackburn Rovers - yup thats parody for ya!
    1993-94 Manchester United
    1992-93 Manchester United

remember there's no playoffs in the EPL... best regular season record is the best team and champions.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

But Wade, Lebron & Bosh already sacrificed plenty of $$$ (~$15mil each) and might still be forced to break-up. I mean I am not a big fan of those 3's egos as many of you know but it seems like they did some sacrifice to get the menage a trois they have going on in Miami.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

2011 - 12 Manchester City

Sorry, I should have qualified that better. Parody game to game, close battles for the title, great relegation fights, lots of upsets.

It may look dominant when you see Man U like that but there were some very close, last last game of the season, type fights for the title.

7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

great so there is a total of 2 teams that broke into the last decade of dominance of Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal. of course soccer is going to be fucking close games... they only score like 2 goals in 90min/game. soccer is weird... there can be one sided totally dominate games and still end in a fucking tie. Or really close games that end 2-0. 2-0 could be a blowout.

the whole reason Man City won last year is that a billionare owner spent loads of cash to get players (since there's no real salary cap).... oh yeah... thats how Man U, and Chelsea operate too.

Arsenal does go creative and win with on a budget, but thats because they moneyball/scout/analytics the shit out of their player acquisitions + they still have a pretty good budget to begin with to spend on superstars.

in the last decade its been the huge money teams that end up as champions in all the major soccer leagues.

8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Lin has game.

Ed, there is a similarity between Harden and Melo regarding Lin.

Bobcats are great this year compared to last year. They need to keep the intensity up and win big in the lotto this year and get more talent. Good coaching job by Dunlap.

Indy and Toronto are tuning their coach out. Hibbert - seriously disappointing.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Ok I gave Bobcats their credit when they matched they win total from last season but come on now, they aren't that great, they are currently in an 8-game losing streak.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

In football, yes, 1 - 0 can be a blowout, even 0 - 0 can be. Its more nuanced since its a low scoring game. I've seen 4 - 0 games that were close as hell for 75 mins. With football talent is really watered down across the pitch. Not in the NBA. A superstar striker may only touch the ball 20 times in 90 mins whereas in NBA he'd get 20 touches/quarter.

Its much harder to be dominant in football unless you spend in 22 positions. These top teams play so many games that you basically need 2 squads. NBA has fininte number of games. A top club like Barcelona can play up to 70 x 90 min matches in a year. And relegation adds lots of interest.

All told, it adds up to a pretty exciting league even if it seems only a few teams win and wealth is consolidated among a few clubs.

Same goes for F1, only a few very rich teams win but this last season was one of the most exciting ever.

I realize I am kind of contradicting myself here, but these 2 sports underwent decades of utter dominance and boredom.

In F1 the democratization of technology and testing/spending limits has made a huge difference. Also, many more great drivers out there being spotted.

In football, there is such a huge firehose of big time talent out there that its much easier to have a very competive squad for a fraction of the price. The Bosman ruling as well as extensive scouting and frankly shit like youtube has really engendered parody. Look at Borussia Dortmund, they spend a fraction of what Chelsea, Man City, Barca, Real Madrid spend, yet they play the best football in the world at the moment (at least I think).

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

sarcasm?

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

you just explained the last 5 years of NBA basketball :facepalm: the last two years alone were awesome and it still ended up with two superteams battling it out in the finals.

you're a fan of parity but don't watch the NFL? :facepalm:

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I used parody correctly in my arguments :smarmy:

because it seems like some peoples' version of parity is borderline parody.

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i'm breaking my fingers after typing this, but idfnl has a point. parity doesn't necessarily mean an equal number of wins, it just means equal talent. good teams are still going to dominate, but they'll have to earn it rather than buy it.