1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Somebody stole your thunder by posing that in another thread a day or so before your post. I think folks have pretty much shot their commenting wad.

2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Who reads other threads?

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Stiches and edina, I think.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

It was pretty sweet. Boys can ball, especially playing with ties on :happy:

5. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

That 2008 draft was so deep too. Could turn out to be one of the best

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Hehe...I think it's no accident that Beasley's only played for sucky teams though. And I almost forgot that his first pot bust in the league occurred in rookie orientation...lmao

more of the scuttlebutt down here was, if Beasley's overrated then Riles should have the balls to pass on him, shock the world and take OJ Mayo instead. Which still would have been a mediocre decision in hindsight, the true win would have been to grab Westbrook or Love. But absolutely no one would have done that.

All this would have been a lot more painful had the Heat not nabbed Lebron and Bosh as FA, of course

8. Wade

Wade Senior member

Riley not that great with draft picks tbh
    He was considering Kaman over Wade

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Geez, don't hold a grudge.

And stop talking in third person.

1 person likes this.
  10. dopey

So Jordan can still dunk at 50 (a recent ESPN story). Obviously, this is not a big deal - Dr. J recently dunked at 62. But is it even a little deal. Vertical leap seems like the kind of thing that doesn't really fall off much until your body really starts to go. It's not like a recovery, reflex jump to block a shot. What do you think.

11. edmorel

Looking at how much weight Jordan has put on, it is somewhat of a small deal. I would think that his (and Dr.J's) verticals have lost quite a few inches, but Jordan is still 6'5"-6'6" (?) and his arms should reach up to 9ft+ without him leaving the ground so if he can jump up 12 inches or so, there is your dunk. Dr. J was taller and his arms seemed a lot longer than Jordan's (and he seems to still be in great shape), so I would be surprised if Dr J can dunk from a running start well into his 70's.

12. dopey

[​IMG]
    Hard to say how big he has gotten from this, but he looks like he is getting way more than 12" off the ground.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Not a big deal but he seems to do it with ease, I think that is more surprising.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I don't think its a surprise at all. The dude was playing in the league just a handful of years ago.

I play with guys shorter than 6'6" and about his age that dunk no problem.

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I think it's actually one of the toughest things to keep as you get older. Your fast twitch fibers deteriorate, ligaments not as elastic, more weight to push off the ground.

In my personal experience, I played in HS and college (organized HS, rec and school leagues in college) and specifically trained my vertical. I could dunk during those days but once I stopped emphasizing basketball in my fitness program, my hops left me almost immediately. And then I got older and fatter, and that was it.

But even if you're a pro athlete with the best training and physiology help in the world, and devote an insane amount of time to keeping in shape, things still go south as you age. Kobe and Wade in particular are still very athletic, but as far as raw jumping ability is concerned it's clearly not all there anymore. Looking at Vince Carter today you'd never know he revolutionized dunking when he was younger

16. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

+1 on verticals leaving you quick. I played varsity in HS and could dunk off 1 foot with a running start at 5'11, dunk with two feet with a step. After 2 years of boozing it and never jumping I couldn't dunk at all. Imagine adding aging along with being sedentary.

17. thinman

thinman Senior member

I agree with this. Fast-twitch muscles are the first to go. I lost my jumping ability at about 35 y.o., even though I hadn't added any weight. And regular (2x per week) martial arts training didn't bring it all the way back. So I'm impressed with Dr. J and MJ (though MJ's feat seems more like a cry for attention: "Me too. Look at MEEEEEE.").

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  18. dopey

Interesting. Thanks.

19. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

:lol: Cry for attention? Dude was on his camp and likely had no clue a fan was even filming him, he was just schooling the lil kid. It looks like it is towards the end also since most were clearing out. If he wanted to show off his leaping ability, he could have done it while everyone is watching or just record for the sake of proving it like Dr J did.

20. edmorel

yeah, but he does look small there :confused: He is supposed to be 6'6" and you figure his arms are at least 2 feet long so another 18 inches and his hand as at the rim but in the pic if I had to guess I'd say he is at least 24-30 inches off the ground. Anyway, 50 is not old at all, particularly for someone who was a professional athlete. Dopey, are you falling into the SF-think that anyone above 25 is old (the same SF-think that says someone over 120 lbs is obese, anyone making less than 250k a year is poor etc)