1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

hmm...so no new super teams it looks like. Warriors, Rockets and Peccalins get indubitably stronger but nothing that makes you go damn.

well, the Warriors

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

CBA really makes it real difficult to have a super team now but one could still emerge, these guys are just giving out verbal contracts, signings doesn't start til July 10 and we still have a very long off-season.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I changed my mind, I'm ready to call the Warriors a super team. at least what passes for one post-CBA. top 3 in the West with the Spurs and Thunder. Rockets round out the top 4? maybe if they get 80% of Orlando Dwight and not 100% of LA Dwight.

they would have an excellent starting 5 plus a great bench but they couldn't keep Jack and Landry. so they take a hit there.

4. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I would not call Dubs a super team. I hate that meme anyway. The whole "big three" concept as well. Warriors are what several teams are, a team on the rise that made a nice signing. Their top 6 is hot fire, and they have a nice 7 man rotation as it stands. It will be interesting to see who else they can add, hopefully a big body for the middle. Maybe Chris Kannan?

Much as I do love the anyone being able to call them a "super team" with a straight face. Sure beats the last twenty years or so of meh.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ya, you really need the draft and a couple of kids that come out productive right away. In a way, this is good. Keeps teams like LA and NY from just extending thru spend.

I might be wrong in my assessments, but you're offering very little up in defense of your points.

LA get Kobe back at 97 years old. They'll have cap room, but it will be a 1 star team. Kobe won't solve anything long term. The team should really do what the C's have just done, but they are too attached to him. I understand why, but its bad business. Kobe and Gasol should go.

Dallas has good bones, but Dirk is the same story as the prev paragraph: hanging on to an aging star.

IMO, both Dirk and Kobe + both teams should go separate ways, both players could easily help many teams a lot.

Nobody really knows the truth behind the Harden deal, but I believe they made a mistake IF they had a realistic chance to keep him.

I agree GSW added a solid piece, but so have other teams out west. They had a chance to crack that top 3 or 4, but IMO have not now. Curry off the ball will be a new dimension, and will work.

6. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Curry did play off the ball with Jack in the game, and it pissed me off because Jack doesn't have great court vision. Hoping Iguodala can fulfill the role of secondary ball handler, but his TO rate is pretty high as well.

7. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I only saw one GS game last year, asking seriously, is this team different from the Run -TMC days? That team was always good and always gave other teams scares in the playoffs but at the end of the day they never really did anything. This GS team seems like a guard heavy team in terms of how they play and I don't understand trying to move Lee but again, I saw them once.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I think they will be special offensively,average defensively. Bogut and Iggy are great, Barnes will probably get there, and Curry and Lee will always be horrible defensively. But they will be a great rebounding team with Bogut, Lee, Iguodala and even Klay

9. edmorel

I just thought that a team like that needs a Lee badly but it sounds like they want to move him, I guess if its for a rebounding/defensive big, it make sense but if its for backup guards/forwards, I am not sure what they are thinking. Anyway, I don't see much of them so they are probably better defensively/rebounding then I am thinking.

I want to go on record as saying that barring injury to Gasol/Nash/Kobe (or if the eventual D`Antoni implosion comes sooner then expected), the Lakers will win more games this year then they did last year. Surprised they did not sign Copeland from the Knicks, as he is tailor made for D`Antoni. They just have to go out and find a semi decent combo guard/forward and they'll be fine. I prefer Gasol in the middle to Howard anyway on that team.

And by the way, if you are out West, have some cash, why wouldn't you take a 1-2 year chance on Bynum. It doesn't sound like people are breaking down his door to get him, if you could get him under 10mil a year, I'd probably risk it for a year or two. Worse case you are out $10mil and there are much worse players than Bynum getting that money. Like if I was Detroit and I just got Smith and I have a young center that needs more time, get Bynum in there, if he works out, you have a trade chip in him or Drummond to get some guard help. If he doesn;t work out, you are out 10mil but so what, there is no other player out there right now available that is going to make a big difference to a team like Detroit

10. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Senior member

1 person likes this.
  11. edmorel

1 person likes this.
  12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Good steal by the Clips.

1 person likes this.
  13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Agree. He was shitty last year. A change of scenery may help.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Collison had his breakout season playing behind Paul in NO. I think its a great signing by LAC

Bynum is whack. The man has so little leverage and he's loosing what little of it he has left.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Colisson had so much potential before but he has fallen off badly. I think he is a better option than Beldsoe though, less athletic but has better court vision and range.

Not sure this is the right move by the Lakeshow, is Kaman any better than Dwigth in DAntonis system?

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

If a 1 year deal is any indication, I don't think anyone knows. He was marginalized in Dallas.

17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Hey, Kaman is a good pickup. Wasn't he a solid 12/10/2 for a long time with the Clips? He'll cost a lot less money and dwightmares too.

18. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yah but that was before anyone was remotely good in the Clips (I think) plus DAntonis system is a running team, Kaman is more of a post-up iso guy or a quick mid-range shooter. He is much, much slower than Dwight. I am just not sure he is the best fit at center for the Lakers.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  19. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

I was kind of looking forward to seeing a Lakers team focused on Gasol at center. Seemed like the only upside of losing Bynum/Howard was letting Pau play his natural position. Guess they will try to move him for picks.

20. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Lakers doesn't really do picks.

And getting Kaman pretty much says they want Pau as a PF for most of the game.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013