NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Los Angeles
    1-3
    Last Week: 3 Research shows that only four teams that started 0-3 have ever reached the NBA Finals and that only one of those four -- Michael Jordan's first title team in Chicago in 1991 -- rallied to win it all. Have to say that sounds like a history lesson with some unquestioned relevance.

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    the lakers have had four "dynasties" if you want to call it that. there were the Jerry West/Oscar Robertson/Wilt years in the '60s to early '70s; when that ended there was a dry spell and then the Magic/Kareem/Worthy "Show Time" teams of the early to mid-80s; when that ended, another dry spell and then the Shaq/Kobe years of the mid-90s to early-oughts. then another dry spell. then the kobe/gasol/phil jackson team that is still carrying on in its up-and-down way. maybe not appropriate to call this one a dynasty, though they did win two championships and finish second another.
    but anyone who thinks the lakers haven't had their struggles must have forgotten the names "Slava Medvedenko" and "Smush Parker". and the fans have stuck with them through those.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ya, struggles, you poor things.

Try supporting a perennial loser. You remind me of folks that complain about desk jobs. They should try working in the salt mine for a few days.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^:lol:

my low point being a celtics fan wasn't the late 90's-2000's (at least I still had the Red Sox, and Patriots to keep my busy)

it was wen Reggie Lewis died. That royally sucked and just put a huge gloom over the celtics for over 20 years.... especially when there was a bit of media backlash (though the news papers) leaking stories of "possible cocaine abuse" ect. That really ended my innocence with sports and the media as a pre teen.

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I didn't say the Lakers haven't had their struggles, but overall there's a pretty strong argument that they've been the best team consistently over that time.

They've been really close with the Spurs since the late 90s.

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

I don't know man I really enjoyed watching the eddie jones/van excel teams along with the cedric ceballos and sedale threats etc even though they sucked. We used to watch kobe when he first came into the league, after school we'd go to my boy's house and just watch games all the time.

I really hated elden campbell, lakers had him for what felt like years and he was always garbage as well as a thorn in my side. Of course magic was my favorite when i was a kid and I don't really like him now, byron scott was my second fav back then.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

Oscar Robertson never played for the Lakers; I think you mean Elgin Baylor (worst GM the league has ever seen).

Yeah, the poor Lakers' fans had to suffer through all those long losing spells. Have you ever talked to a Cubs fan? Ever heard of the Charlotte Bobcats, Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets, Indiana Pacers, New Orleans/Utah Jazz, Toronto Raptors, Minnesota Timberwolves, Cleveland Cavaliers, Denver Nuggets, Orlando Magic, or Phoenix Suns, all teams that have never won the NBA championship?

Have you looked across town at the LA Clippers, who started as the Buffalo Braves, became the San Diego Clippers, then became the LA Clippers and have never won the NBA championship? Yeah, I have to admire those Lakers' fans for their persistence in supporting their team through all the tough times.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Sounds like you guys are mad because the Lakers GM/office makes great moves and aren't being overly cheap to keep the team competitive year in and year out?

Can't fault me either for liking the Lakers since I did grow up here in LA, hell even Steve liked the Lakers when he lived here iirc. I mean what the hell do you guys expect us fans to do, say "eh, we got Smuch Parker and Kwame Brown, we sure will get a championship with those 2!"

You guys overreacting just because LA fans mention the dark days of the Lakers team? From what I read it's not like we were asking for sympathy, it was just mentioned that it isn't all glamour and championships in this town all the time.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

Not upset at all, actually. The Lakers are a well-run franchise with deep pockets. I used to be a Lakers' fan until Kobe started feuding with Shaq and had his "legal problems". Now I find it hard to root for him. I just LOL at the Lakers' fans bemoaning the "lean years" (both of them). I also know from my days of living in the LA area that most LA fans will support "their team" only as long as it's winning, so most of them really are fair weather fans.

10. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I actually liked the Lakers until Shaq left the team. As everyone knows, I just don't like Kobe.

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

sorry about the Oscar Robertson! total brain-fart. actually, i was thinking of goodrich. but same difference.
    and just to be clear, i was not moaning about those lean years. i was responding to a poster who implied that the lakers had never had anything but glory years. at least that's what i understood his implication to be.
    and trust me, i know about long-suffering franchises. i am a washington redskins fan since 1971.:embar:

12. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Why would anybody like Shaq either?

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

+1
    i actually like kobe. he is who he is. and on the basketball court, there's nobody better (dude is shooting 56% this year). private life is another matter, but thankfully i don't have to be a part of that. shaq is an entertainer ... he'll be who you want him to be. and while he was incredibly gifted athletically, i never felt like he achieved everything he could have because, well, he was just a big lazy slug in a lot of ways.

14. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Mark Rypen bitches!

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

dude, i was indoctrinated in the sonny jurgensen to charley taylor days.:slayer: