1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Not sure if you saw the story but allegedly Rondo went at Doc in a practice and Doc went after him like he went after Kevin Johnson when he put in elbow in docs face. Punches weren't thrown because the rest of the team intervened. Hard to see why Doc would want to continue that relationship.

Steve, don't kill yourself or anything, SA was one free throw away from winning and they just did not get the lucky break at the end that you sometimes need to win a game.

Drake looks like a nice submissive bottom in that LeBron pic.

So HRoi, does Miami sit on its laurels and just maybe make a small change in the bench or do they try and move a Bosh for some more beef inside? On the one hand they are the champs, on the other hand they get there through the skin of their teeth (although you could say the same about a lot of champs). I think Riley keeps the team intact, not sure that there is much he could do with the team but I'm sure he is already worrying about how much he can get out of Ray Allen next year and Wade's injuries.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

You know what The Miami Herald re-printed for today? This:

[​IMG]

3. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

It would be very, very hard to move any of the top 3 because the common perception is that they all sacrificed to be there. If they trade one it's a complete slap in the face and no player would trust Riley and Arison completely again. And the Heat are loyal to a fault as an organization.

Bosh is really tough to move because he's very unique on offense and defense, and the Heat are built around him in many ways. He's the best shooting PF/C in the league not named Dirk and he might even be the best midrange shooter regardless of position. Without him the Heat can't field a Lebron+4 floor spacers lineup that can also guard 2 traditional big men. On defense, there aren't many quick, agile, long wingspan defenders like him that work in the Heat's lightning quick rotation defense.

For both these reasons and the fact that Wade is close to untradeable in the Miami market, I think the three of them stay and Riley is left trying to make the pieces around them fit. Resigning Andersen might be the biggest task for them this offseason

4. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

I think the Heat is just one serviceable big man away from a 3peat if the rest of the team are intact. The big has to be able to score though and be an enforcer at the same time, 5-8 pts per game is good per 30-35 minutes. Andersen and Haslem are just not reliable enough and Bosh gets beat in the paint more often than you'd like. Hard part if finding one within their very small budget.

5. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Riley needs to get Greg Oden
    I'm not sure if wades knee is just a short term thing or the start of his decline but they can maybe sit him out a few games next season so the regular season isn't as grueling

6. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Exactly. Or Bosh just needs to rebound like he did in the Finals (but I guess that's still suicide against the Pacers or Lakers).

The big cant just be a scorer though. He has to specifically be a scorer from midrange plus. Or else it completely mucks up the Heat spacing, which was their downfall against smart defensive teams like Chicago, Indiana and San Antonio. If they could afford David West he'd be perfect but that's wishful thinking

Bosh for Dirk? :laugh:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I think only the celtics have made 4 consecutive finals. Its been done thrice (I love the word thrice). The celtics made the finals from 1957-1966 (so more than twice in that spaaaaaaaaan of finals appearances) , then 1984-1987.

The heat are prohibitive favorites to do it, but there are some real contenders coming out of the east (indiana and chicago) as well as powerhouses out of the west.

I have a feeling the heat may strike gold with greg oden. battier must be on his last legs...

8. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

A three-peat is possible, but Chicago and Indy are better teams next season.

Chicago basically has a new team next season... they were competitive as a shell team and I think they are the best positioned team to beat Miami.

Indiana gets Granger back, that's a better improvement than Miami can sign this off-season. They'll be better next season.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

This is so confusing.

So they will allow Rivers to come to the Clippers in exchange of a 1st round pick but it isn't allowed and any other moves after this will be vetoed? How si the exchange of Rivers and 1st round pick not a deal involving a coach and player? Because the pick isn't considered a player (yet)?

So what if Garnett opts out of his contract and follows Rivers to the Clippers, will Stern veto that as well?

I do like how serious Sterling has been this past few years, $21mil for 3 years for a coach? 5 years ago, you'd laugh at anyone who would even consider that as a possibility. Clippers are serious about being contenders, finally! Time to sign CP3!

10. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Early '70s A's.

All bullshit. When is that little shit's contract up?

I was SOOOO disappointed in Manu. Cost us the championship.

11. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i think that's because the original deal was for doc and garnett, then stern pointed out that the CBA forbids including anyone who is not a player in a trade. so now that they've gotten doc, if they swing another deal for garnett it'll be clearly just another version of the forbidden trade. seems silly to me, too. but stern will not be crossed.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

But an exchange for a coach and draft pick is fine?

13. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    yeah. i'm not saying it makes sense ... but it was combining the coach and the active player that made the difference.

14. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

there's precedent for letting a coach out of his contract in exchange for "compensation" i think, whether it be draft picks or cash. i remember for sure that the Raiders did it with Jon Gruden...in the NBA, i think Miami did it with one of their coaches as well...might have been van Gundy

the big problem is for a player to be traded for non-player considerations - that basically lets teams circumvent the spirit of the CBA. like now, i might agree to a lopsided player trade because i'm also getting your coach in return, but it's a slippery slope - can i also agree to your lopsided trade if you buy me Hawaii or something like that?

15. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Only involving Garnett though, I think. If the Celtics buy out Pierce and he chose to go to the Clips, I am not sure Stern can do anything about it.

Also, I thought Van Gundy was fired by Miami? He didn't to the Magic right away, did he?

16. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

ok, so i had to google it. there were actually two Miami coaches that switched teams in exchange for a draft pick or two - van Gundy AND Riley.

it's unclear why Orlando had to send picks in exchange for SVG, because he resigned but they still had him under contract or some kind of rights...?! weird

17. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Nvm

18. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Oh well, whatever. Rivers is a huge improvement over VDN (I think you all know how I feel about him) so I'm happy either way. I really do not want Pierce or Garnett to come to the Clips though, people already think CP3 is a dirty player and Griffin is a douche, with either of those in the team, it'll be a huge contender as one of the most hated teams, maybe 4th after the Heat, Lakers and Boston?

1 person likes this.
  19. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

I just wanted to post this because I thought it was cool.

LeBron's game 7 in one gif.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

That SportsCenter bit on the 03 draft is nuts... picks 1,4 and 5 all on the same team.. .