NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    I don't think either of us are going to convince the other RFX, but I think offhand you can point to more instances where players passed on money to win championships than you can where they passed on money to play with their buddies. not saying it hasn't happened, but when you're talking about a situation where even a bit of a bump means millions of dollars ... these guys have bills to pay!

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

That is why I said it is more rare to pass up more money for a championship and be with your friends, that situation only happened once that I know off, the Heat 3. Again I never said one is better than the other but for that chance to kind of all line-up, it's great. In the end though Harden does get to sacrifice money while KD and RW doesn't but when those two signed their max contract, I am not sure OKC knows how good Harden would be, He wasn't 6th man til last year and has improved but I am not sure OKC would have predicted he'd be superstar caliber when RW & KD got offered max contract. I guess it's just a case of coming late to the party?

The Ibaka signing is probably the biggest thing though but then again a serviceable, legit big man in the league is pretty rare especially since Ibaka is a DPOY candidate and McGee gets paid $44mil/4yrs, Deandre Jordan $43mil/4yrs and a much older Chandler gets $58mil/4yrs. So I guess in comparison and what other teams are offering, OKC almost had no choice to keep Ibaka.

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

its clear that the goal of houston and their GM is to put together a championship team. its not like he took the money to go play for the 1970's-1990's era San Diego/LA Clippers and just languish.

what if harden plays at a all nba team level for the duration of his contract? he will have maximized his potential as a basketball player as well as made the most money possible from a contract. Plus he ends up being 28y/o in line for a 2nd max deal when this deal is over.

that situation is almost invariably better (from a personal and financial) standpoint.

also it seems like he'd always be used as tradebait throughout the whole time with OKC anyway if he stayed there.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

2012 NbA MVP: JAMES HARDEN!!!

for the first two games of this season so far

5. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Houston looked good tonight. Harden 45, Asik 19 boards and JLin almost threw up a triple double. Knicks surprisingly playing well.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

harden is a beast. was ridiculous. asik can't score but he can get those offensive rebounds

also kevin martin and damian lillard are both pretty good. glad i picked lillard (i must've got him in like the 10th or 11th round, great steal)

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

it's ok once harden gets to the playoffs he'll choke on a fat dick when it counts

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

better than well. they are skunking the champs in every category. it's even more of a blowout than the score suggests

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

maybe mike brown learned this offense from the Princeton School of Law?

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

LOL

fucamikebrown

11. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Oh the Lakeshow.

12. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Lakers Baby Lakers

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

lol spurs

14. soxpats

soxpats Senior member

Lakers 0-3, nice start. Hope they continue to suck. I know they won't but damn it would be great to watch.

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the Celtics pulled out a typical 2010-present shitty win tonight: lose big lead to crappy team.... give crappy team tons-o-opportunity to win... suck out a win anyway.