^but he could get the same max extension simply by accepting the nuggets' standing offer, amirite? Plus he would still be on a playoff team. If the nets do the reported trade Melo will be locked in with an old Billups and Rip, no draft picks and no cap room to pursue upcoming FA like Dwight Howard... If I were Melo I'd see all that and just refuse to sign an extension and sign with the Knicks next year...leaving the Nets high and dry with no Favors, Harris or draft picks. Which brings me to my original point - why would the Nets do this? there is no guaranteed money if he waits... the CBA is coming this offseason... all bets are off after that. he just has the promise of being able to sign with the knicks.... there maybe a hard cap implemented/massive lowering of the cap then it will be hard for the knicks to sign another huge contract. he obviously wants to move on from the nuggets so his only options to get $65 million is whatever the nuggets offer him (either through signing with them, extend and trade, or wait to see the aftermath of the CBA). the players basically lost the last CBA... and the owners are losing money, hell the NBA owns the hornets... money is coming off the books next year no matter what... it could mean 20-30 million less for carmelo in reality.