1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Distinguished Member

^but he could get the same max extension simply by accepting the nuggets' standing offer, amirite? Plus he would still be on a playoff team. If the nets do the reported trade Melo will be locked in with an old Billups and Rip, no draft picks and no cap room to pursue upcoming FA like Dwight Howard... If I were Melo I'd see all that and just refuse to sign an extension and sign with the Knicks next year...leaving the Nets high and dry with no Favors, Harris or draft picks. Which brings me to my original point - why would the Nets do this?
    there is no guaranteed money if he waits... the CBA is coming this offseason... all bets are off after that. he just has the promise of being able to sign with the knicks.... there maybe a hard cap implemented/massive lowering of the cap then it will be hard for the knicks to sign another huge contract. he obviously wants to move on from the nuggets so his only options to get $65 million is whatever the nuggets offer him (either through signing with them, extend and trade, or wait to see the aftermath of the CBA). the players basically lost the last CBA... and the owners are losing money, hell the NBA owns the hornets... money is coming off the books next year no matter what... it could mean 20-30 million less for carmelo in reality.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

Actually, I read that Melo is good with signing an extension with the Nets if Rip Hamilton is part of the package.

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Distinguished Member

why would the Nets do this?

ah ok... sorry i didn't clarify why the nets would do this...

well the uncertainty of the CBA actually favors teams holding very few guaranteed contracts... essentially you lock up one sure thing and wait.... because if a hard cap comes then you're forced really assess who's worth it and carmelo is one of the only "sure fire NBA superstars" out there.

the nets are banking that they can have the one "larry bird/KG-like" protected contract that won't be counted against any new salary cap scheme... from there they start over. they rely on their new coming stadium (and huge assets from that) plus the billionaire owner who's willing to spend, if possible.

the nba wants to (unrealistically) follow what the nfl has where there is parity + superstars... with a strict salary structure and team friendly contracts (meaning guaranteed money is extremely limited). so the outcome of the future CBA could mean nfl like player contracts.

4. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior Member

i'm rewatching this blazers heat game from yesterday on league pass. the blazers are a really good team with a good system and they play hard. if they had a healthy oden and roy i think they'd be serious contenders in the west. they just don't have a closer that can get their own shot down the stretch with roy out. aldridge can't do it all.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

i'm rewatching this blazers heat game from yesterday on league pass. the blazers are a really good team with a good system and they play hard. if they had a healthy oden and roy i think they'd be serious contenders in the west. they just don't have a closer that can get their own shot down the stretch with roy out. aldridge can't do it all.

Problem I saw last night was that Andre Miller was benched. Dude barely played the 4th and didn't even start the OT iirc. He can usually drive and get fouled (and make the free throws) or drop the ball to someone like Camby or Aldridge to finish with a hook or dunk or kick it to Matthews or Batum for a 3. Instead McMillan stayed with Patty Mills, I know dude has been playing decent but I'd go with Andre Miller on crunch time. Miller did take that last shot in regulation but how cold was he after sitting down most of the 4th? I would have let Matthews work for that final shot but that's just me.

6. sexandcandy

Matthews can't create in a half court set. I love him to death, but he's a spot up shooter and transition guy when it comes to offense.

I've always been a fan of Andre Miller too. I have him in fantasy this year and last year when he dropped a 50 point game. So it's frustrating when you're not getting crunch time minutes, but I understand what McMillan was thinking. Mills gives Aldridge more room to work in the post as Mills can stay behind the 3 point line and defenders gotta respect his shot. Also, he's a lot faster than Miller and the Heat are a quick team. Mills had made some shots earlier in the paint and from 3 and I think McMillan was just riding the hot hand. Either way, the Heat were better last night and I don't think playing Andre Miller 10 more minutes would have made the difference.

7. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior Member

Actually, I read that Melo is good with signing an extension with the Nets if Rip Hamilton is part of the package.

Unless those words were quoted, I wouldn't believe much of that as I think he's more worried about securing the contract. I think the only reason why he'd prefer NJ is because it's closer to NY.

8. sexandcandy

They are actually moving to Brooklyn.

9. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior Member

well the uncertainty of the CBA actually favors teams holding very few guaranteed contracts... essentially you lock up one sure thing and wait.... because if a hard cap comes then you're forced really assess who's worth it and carmelo is one of the only "sure fire NBA superstars" out there.

the nets are banking that they can have the one "larry bird/KG-like" protected contract that won't be counted against any new salary cap scheme... from there they start over. they rely on their new coming stadium (and huge assets from that) plus the billionaire owner who's willing to spend, if possible.

the nba wants to (unrealistically) follow what the nfl has where there is parity + superstars... with a strict salary structure and team friendly contracts (meaning guaranteed money is extremely limited). so the outcome of the future CBA could mean nfl like player contracts.

While I'd like to see something like that, having incentive based contracts is going to mean more players ballhogging and more me-first mentality. If player X's contract says he needs 1500 points to reach a $1m bonus, he's probably going to shoot way more to make sure he can hit those numbers. Football and baseball work differently because in most cases, one players stats doesn't affect the outcome of another's in a negative way. A QB throwing a 40 yd TD reception is both positive statistically for the QB and the WR.

I just don't think incentive-based contracts would work in the NBA even if you say limited how a team could cut it's players. Less years and a slight decrease in maximum contracts is probably what's going to happen.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

Matthews can't create in a half court set. I love him to death, but he's a spot up shooter and transition guy when it comes to offense.

I would have still given him the ball, I mean who else really can create their shot better? Aldridge would have been a good option but they would have to feed him the ball quicker and not waste time because he's set up takes time sometimes but he was dominating Bosh but you just don't want to go to early and miss a shot and give the Heat a chance to win with a final shot. Miller did get a good shot, 2 good shots actually but just missed.

I would have still gone with the veteran experience in crunch time than youth and speed. and I don't think they need mills spreading the floor even more since they already have Batum and Matthews, have Miller on the other side of the court and let Matthews or Batum drop the ball to the post and clear out, let him work on Bosh.

11. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior Member

They are actually moving to Brooklyn.

I am aware of that. My point (which I forgot to mention) is the Nets as a team right now just don't have anything going for them. The Brooklyn arena isn't slated to be finished until the fall of 2012 meaning at least this season and one more of being in NJ. The starting 5 would consist of something of Billups, Rip, Anthony, Humphries, Lopez with Farmar, Travis Outlaw and Vujacic coming off the bench. Aside from location, this team isn't any better than what the Nuggets currently have.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

Unless those words were quoted, I wouldn't believe much of that as I think he's more worried about securing the contract. I think the only reason why he'd prefer NJ is because it's closer to NY.

I don't really think he is too worried about securing a contract, I mean if it is all about the money, he would just sign with Denver now. I mean sure he would love to get moved and still get paid. Him saying he won't be back in Denver is forcing them to trade him now but Denver is actually being nice and allowing Melo to decide where and how to get traded. I mean I am sure there are teams out there that would take Melo even w/o a guarantee of resigning, Jordan has expressed interest but Melo said he doesn't want to play there so Denver dropped that possibility. I don't really think Melo has the power like Kobe to veto any trades so to me, it doesn't really seem to be about money and securing that contract. Denver just wants to get something instead of losing Melo so they are cooperating but overall, they are still being nice by giving Melo exactly what he wants.

13. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

Well I guess if Melo says he'll extend with the Nets then all of the above (plus the trade) makes sense for the Nets

While I'd like to see something like that, having incentive based contracts is going to mean more players ballhogging and more me-first mentality. If player X's contract says he needs 1500 points to reach a $1m bonus, he's probably going to shoot way more to make sure he can hit those numbers. Football and baseball work differently because in most cases, one players stats doesn't affect the outcome of another's in a negative way. A QB throwing a 40 yd TD reception is both positive statistically for the QB and the WR.

I just don't think incentive-based contracts would work in the NBA even if you say limited how a team could cut it's players. Less years and a slight decrease in maximum contracts is probably what's going to happen.

Well, you could always have different incentives as well like wins or reaching the playoffs to go with the individual stuff. I believe that quite a few NBA contracts are already heavily incentive based

14. sexandcandy

he'll go to whatever team can also get chris paul and dwight howard down the road.

now THAT big 3 is scary.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

I think it is safe to say the Lakers covered the -16 against the Cavs tonight.