NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I think you're being a bit generous. Anyway, he's been pretty useless and it's not like he's playing against NBA stars.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I don't know.... I'd rather have kevin love on the knicks than Melo. :devil:

we should make an informal poll. who would you rather start an nba team with Carmelo Anthony or Kevin Love right now?

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

4. edmorel

Well, after seeing Melo play for many seasons, it's easy to hate him. But, looking at them as college draft picks and you look at what he Melo at Syracuse and at his skills versus Love and he makes Love look like a jv high school player.

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the question isn't out of college. but who would you rather have to start a team with today as an NBA player?

carmelo or kevin love?

remember love has improved his game in the NBA immensely over the last two years... carmelo is well still carmelo.

6. edmorel

It's tough but I'd have to take Carmelo. Love may have improved but his ceiling is not that high, he's nit going to become something other than a post up guy that needs someone to feed him to score. Carmelo never play defense but he can literally get the rebound on one end, bring the ball up and score from the outside or inside on his own. He commands a double team in the low post and can take anyone that guards him off the dribble. He can also shoot from long distance. Talent wise, if he had the desire, he could one of the top 2-3 players in the league.

Also, he has the game that can make everyone around him better. You can't really say these things about Love. If Melo were coached by Riley or Jackson, he'd probably have an MVP year and he could theoretically average a triple double. Love is a strong player but he can be easily taken out of games, you can't take Melo out of a game, he does regularly take himself out though.

7. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

You're joking.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

maybe if you count turnovers :lol:

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I tend to think its the opposite. Carmelo with his ball stopping isolation plays alone make everyone around him less significant/useful. Love knows how to get offense in the flow of the system as well as averages high rebounds, is an excellent outlet passer, and interior back to the basket ability make him someone to ideal to team up with.

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

Therein lies the problem; Melo doesn't have the desire. So I'd take Love over Melo in a heartbeat. Love will always work his a$$ off and get you rebounds, even if he's taken out of the offense. He makes his teammates better by setting the right tone in practice and in games. The "me-first" tone that Melo sets is all wrong and takes his teammates out of the game. I would be shocked if Melo ever plays on a championship team, unless he can somehow undergo an attitude transplant.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Melo simply does not have the instinct or court vision to average even 5 apg. 10 rpg? maybe, but will he be willing to mix it up in the trenches? Lebron, who's his height but much more powerful and plays a lot more PF, doesn't come close to that average. and his defense is atrocious and I think eliminates him from MVP contention.

he should appreciate that he's one of the world's most efficient, unguardable scorers but also play within his limitations and not kill the offense. to make him
    play at his peak he needs an alpha dog that can keep him in check, force him and the team to execute the offense and not ball-stop, and pick up the team intensity on defense - someone like CP3 for instance

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

actually if Melo had the right pieces around him and a system that catered to him he could be the centerpiece of a championship team. melo does have that much game. but he'd need players like chandler and love to be his number 2 and 3 options and a super pass first point guard to set him up well. but its still a predictable offense that can be easily beat unless melo is on fire for the whole playoffs - maybe in the no zone NBA of the old 90's melo would be more effective - but not now.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You know they offered the job to both Jackson and Riles, right Ed? They both turned them down.

14. edmorel

Not Riley, but Jackson would have turned it down if it was offered to him (VanGundy too probably). Look I am not saying Melo is this amazing player, I've bad mouthed him here more than anyone. What I'm saying is that the guy has more talent than anyone in the league, save 2-3 other guys. Teams are always built around superstars, not hardworking good players. Will Love be a better team player and locker room presence? yes. Assuming both on the same exact team, will Love get you more wins than Melo? Never. Melo is too multidimensional to pass up for a team. Is he a ball hog? Absolutely. Does he kill the flow of the offense? Yep. But all that being said if he woke up tomorrow and decided that he would do everything possible to make his teammates better, rebound better and defend better he would become a 20/10 guy with 5/6 assists and the Knicks would be tough to deal with.

Melo is unguardable, he's a ball hogging, inefficent prick but he's unstoppable at the 3 or 4. Look what he did when he decided he was going to play hard for Woodson, he played MVP ball, for a month he was the best player in the league. He just doesn't have the desire to do that for a season. Losing does not bother him as long as he gets his 22-24. Melo is hero ball, take as many shots as possible, take the last shot of the game, win some/lose some, collect your check.

Offensively he is just too skilled, he can score on his own from anywhere on the court. If you are the Charlotte Bobcats and your choices are Kevin Love or Melo, you'd be nuts to take Love.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Even perfect "I want to win every night" Melo, I'd still take Love. What's easier to find: A slashing SF who can score on and off the dribble or a 7'er who can put up 20/10 and shoot the 3?