NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

:confused:

ok so you obviously did not see him play the 25 games so I'll leave you with your enlightened view.

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

No you are right, he is world class.

3. edmorel

So again, you are saying you did not see him play, that he is garbage and only world class guards are worth 8 mln a year.

4. jet

jet Persian Bro

Have you ever considered a career as a sports analyst?

5. edmorel

Sorry Lin left you so butthurt, I'll let you be.

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

Please, continue to fellate Lin by all means.

I'm surprised you were able to type.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The best part:
    Right...because the Knicks are one piece away from a championship :lol:

The whole thing from Smith is completely absurd. Sure, Lin *could* have found a way to stay on the Knicks, but they told him to go shopping and he did. He found someone willing to pay him a ton of extra money, and he'd be stupid not to make the Knicks match. Whether he "deserves" it or not is totally irrelevant, the Rockets made that decision, not Lin.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/48033/jeremy-lins-contract-in-perspective

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...financial-sense-for-the-knicks/?smid=tw-share

If you calculate wins by point guards and divide by salary you can see that each extra win a pg causes his teammates is worth about $1.2 mill for a team. I forget which espn article but there was one where a guy did regression analysis to eliminate low sample size bias and found that even then Lin would be an above average top 10 to 20 pg and those guys as a group earn about $10 mill a year. So at $8 mill Lin is still worth his salary. Bring in merchandise sales, ticket sales, increased viewership and thus advertising, the stretch provision, and the fact that he is a valuable tradable asset there's no way that an extra $5 mill in the third year of his contract was the logical reason not sign him (stretch provision eliminates any argument of luxury tax and so does the overpaid contracts of the top two players)

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

In the vid, Stephen A Smith said that by the time Lin develops to be good, Melo and Amare might be out of their prime. So yeah, get Kidd & Felton because those guys are on their prime now? :lol:

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Lol. Woodson was talking about how every championship team in the past decade an a half was won by veterans. Right so that means you should get all the old people and you'll be able to get a championship right?

Kinda sucks for Kidd cuz the impression I got was he signed with the Knicks cuz Lin would be there.

Also Felton is way overpaid. Literally makes no sense to me

11. edmorel

I like how everyone has given Woodie a free pass on destroying Fields and Douglass's confidence/game, playing Shumpert garbage minutes and playing Smith starter minutes, even when he was shooting 3-17 or something. My only hope is that in 3 years, when the team gets blown up, that we don't go after another high priced veteran or veterans that had their best years elsewhere.

12. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

13. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

I will give you that his "asian"-ness probably has something to do with at least SOME of it. I won't deny that race doesn't factor in here.
    However, i don't see anything about how Tim Tebow should defend himself over some of the stuff said about him either ;)

I'd also say that there are a lot of "christian" athletes who aren't who they claim to be

we're not saying he's "world class" but at the LEAST middle of the road

I like how Kidd moved all his shit to "mentor" Lin and then the dude leaves.

14. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

I knew the melo trade would ruin any chance of the knicks becoming something, dude sabotages everyone he doesn't like, and ed is spot on with his analysis i couldn't agree more, I am a long suffering knicks fan for over 20 years, but this might have been worse than hiring scott layden.

15. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member