1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I came home from a game with Jeremy Lin T-shirts for my daughters. They thought I was nuts.
    I finally got some delivery man credibility when the Fresh Direct guy saw one of them wearing it as a nightshirt and screamed "Jeremy Lin" and gave her a high five.

And yeah, the most amazing thing about Linsanity was the energy in the street, with people walking from times square to the garden on game night with their Jeremy Lin Jerseys (or when they were scarce, combining a Stat and a Melo Jersey to make a Lin).

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Distinguished Member

I was here... during the whole linsanity ordeal.... and it did truly sweep the whole city... so much so... that it engulfed the whole GIANTS WIN THE SUPERBOWL euphoria instantly. i was truly thankful for linsanity, because I'm a huge boston sports guy and the dead silence about the Giants superbowl win during it was a godsend for my ears and happiness.

the total cap hit for the knicks, if they keep lin and have to pay luxury tax for all 4 of their expensive contracts (chandler, melo, stat, lin) is around $58 million dollars. I realize that's prohibitively expensive, but then again any one of those contracts will be very easily tradable (because they'll be expiring) especially if the players are playing good.

if lin averages 15/7 his first two years and the knicks see that they still can't keep him... they could so easily trade lin to the big asian markets (toronto, golden state, houston, ect ect) and get back something great in assets.

I got my neighbors (father and son) matching lin t shirts... and the father was near tears when I gave them the shirts. they were dominican and are pissed that lin is about to leave. the linsanity had no bounds to race or income. Everyone was on his side during those games.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

3. moffy

moffy Senior Member

Sure, but there is no single team that can take more contracts off the Magic's hand than Houston. The Nets and Lakers for example can't take back any, except maybe QRich or Duhon.

EDIT: Also, with Lin, you can now try to convince Howard that he can corner the Asian market, which is obviously huge because he cares about his "brand."

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

4. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

Not the point or my question though, my question is whether the Rockets can still afford to take in all of those contracts along with Lins and Asiks.

5. indesertum

indesertum Stylish Dinosaur

Lin also busted that MSG and tnt(?) standoff in favor of msg

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

time warner. Time Warner caved in, their customers were missing out on Lin and the pressure became too much.

7. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Distinguished Member

has that contract ended yet...

8. indesertum

indesertum Stylish Dinosaur

That's right. Time Warner.

But really tho would Lin make the Knicks owners enough money to cover his salary?

9. Harbin

Harbin Distinguished Member

but does he care about asians lol

10. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

Considering the tickets price increased by 23% and sold out MSG last season and the season ticket price increased 5% for next season (regular tickets probably went up in price too) and the fact that other arenas will see an huge increase in ticket sales as well, include the jersey sales, t-shirts, merchandise, etc... I say it's possible.

To be honest, I wouldn't have gotten Felton, matched Lin and just trade away Chandler or even Amare or Melo in 3 years to avoid the luxury tax. I mean really, those guys aren't the future of the team anyways and they'd need to get rid of one of them to stay competitive.

11. Harbin

Harbin Distinguished Member

Say Lin goes to houston, how many pts/ast do you see him averaging next season?

12. edmorel

worse, its been "extended" as he is on the fast track to be the GM eventually :(

hard to predict the future but if he is for real, they would cover his salary a few times over, every year. just keep in mind that he had the number 1 selling jersey last year in all the NBA. After 25 games. Sold more than Kobe, LeBron etc. With that knid of national and international fan base, you should not have too much trouble squeezing out $10mln a year from selling various Lin tchotkes. And if there is an increase in viewership to MSG, that means higher fees they charge the cable providers. And MSG is publicly traded, so an increase in the company's earnings could create more value than his entire contract in just one day. This is all very pie in the sky but crazier things have happened.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

Hard to say because we don't know who will be in that team this upcoming year.

With Howard and KMart and a few shooters, his assists could hit double digits easy. Scoring 10-15ppg isn't far fetch either if they let him loose like DAntoni did. If there aren't that many scorers, that might get bumped to 17ppg but there certainly has to be some good to decent players around him or else he'd be doubled. He just needs to improve his TOs to be more efficient and he'd be a decent guard going forward.

14. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

:eek: Please tell me you're joking?!?!

15. edmorel

Knicks Basketball Operatrions:

Assistant General Manager/GM, Erie BayHawks - Allan Houston