1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. jet

jet Senior member

Haha holy shit I just saw the first line in this post http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1128 So full of fail it's painful! [​IMG]
    I've always liked Duncan. If I wasn't from LA I'd root for the Spurs. I've always hated Tony Parker though... just something about that twat.
    That's funny, me and all my friends have always said duncan is the biggest pussy in the nba I mean he even looks like he's gonna cry like the little bitch that he is. Also the Louis CK gif should be everyone's default response anytime kobe ass raped stevie responds [​IMG]

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-spurs012611

Hmmm...

Spurs better success rate than the Lakers over the last 13 years...

But of course it comes from those idiots at Yahoo who are so clueless they are paid for their knowledge. While anonymous Internet Laker fans howl their disapproval.

And it contains statistics!

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Haha holy shit I just saw the first line in this post

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1128

So full of fail it's painful! [​IMG]

That's funny, me and all my friends have always said duncan is the biggest pussy in the nba I mean he even looks like he's gonna cry like the little bitch that he is.

Also the Louis CK gif should be everyone's default response anytime kobe ass raped stevie responds [​IMG]

So does Pau.

And Dirk.

What's your point?

BTW- great sentence structure. Light on the vocabulary though. 11th grade?

4. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior member

5 championships > 4 championships.

That is how you define success. Not by regular season wins. LMAO

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

5 championships > 4 championships.

That is how you define success. Not by regular season wins. LMAO

If you're a Laker fan.

Which sports organization do YOU work for?

6. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Haha holy shit I just saw the first line in this post

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1128

So full of fail it's painful! [​IMG]

That's funny, me and all my friends have always said duncan is the biggest pussy in the nba I mean he even looks like he's gonna cry like the little bitch that he is.

Also the Louis CK gif should be everyone's default response anytime kobe ass raped stevie responds [​IMG]

That I'm a single Dad and I need to see my kids do their homework and their chores and get to bed on time, instead of sitting on my ass watching NBA games?

That I work 3 times a week at night to feed them?

Do you walk erect, or do your knuckles still drag on the ground?

7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the blazers celtics game is as starting as testy as this thread is right now. blazers especially prezibilla is really jawing/playing physical.

i'm happy the knicks pulled one out against the heat (sadly regular season is going to matter this year with home court).

ray allen even had a half court pass alleyoop from rondo... gosh i remember when ray allen would dunk a lot (when he was on the bucks).

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Watched that Heat Knicks game. Shocked to see a D'Antoni team playing defense!!

The Heat have seriously regressed and I don't know why. They're back to that 1 on 4, Lebron-it's-your-turn-no-Dwayne-why-don't-you-go offense and it's infuriating to watch

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

The Heat have seriously regressed and I don't know why. They're back to that 1 on 4, Lebron-it's-your-turn-no-Dwayne-why-don't-you-go offense and it's infuriating to watch

its like lebron saw wade who was on fire... and thought: "hey I can be on fire too!" and started bricking up a storm.

the "i can be on fire too!" with at least 5 consecutive bricks - was perfected by antoine walker.

lebron is just not suited to half court if he's got another all star in the set. but in the open court he turns into charles barkley+magic johnson.

10. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior member

Knicks weren't playing good defense, LeBron just sucked shooting the ball. Even on that last play, the heat ended up with a wide open 3 to tie...no defense there.

If LeBron makes even just 40% of his shots, the Heat win.

11. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

12. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

damn just took a look at this thread. it sucks this year. welp i guess i'll catch up on the league once gb wins the SB.
    Kobe's footworks is bar none unmatched at this point and he is one of the very few who still isn't satisfied with it. Check out this vids, you really do not see many, if any, players doing this.
    basically the only perimeter player I know that doesn't travel on spin moves. crazy.
    Can steve b, jet and rx please stfu? Kobe is better than Manu this and every year. The spurs are pretty damn good and could win it all. The lakers are the (2x) defending champs and thus the team to beat and have a good chance at a three peat. mmmmk?
    yeah, this.
    Uhh it's because they lost the player around whom their entire offensive system revolves. Pretty obvious that the Heat can compete w/ anybody if their big 3 is healthy, but if not, they don't have a chance against elite teams.

13. Brothersport

Haaaaaaters come out and playyyyyyyyyyy.

The-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time

14. jet

jet Senior member

There's a reason why they call Kobe clutch.

Dude is money the last few seconds of a game.

15. Brothersport

16. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Haaaaaaters come out and playyyyyyyyyyy.

The-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time

this is an old argument and it comes down to the essential fallacy of trying to analyze basketball using statistics. it makes for interesting arguments, for sure, but i'd say that if 80% of the best basketball minds in the world agree on something and a statistical analysis by a couple of geeks with a PC disagree ... it's probably not the GMs who are at fault.

17. 13k

13k Senior member

Uhh it's because they lost the player around whom their entire offensive system revolves.

Pretty obvious that the Heat can compete w/ anybody if their big 3 is healthy, but if not, they don't have a chance against elite teams.

Also shows Miami is very thin without their core. Last night against the Knicks was a good example of bad coaching as well... You have 3 other players ball-watching not moving on offense when either Lebron or Wade have the ball. There were a few sequences when Lebron just played solo ball attempting to draw fouls while his teammates just watched. As a coach you want movement in players as well as the ball, and Spoelstra conducted very little of this in the 2nd half. Kinda plays into that Abbott article about trying to bail your team out with so called "clutchness"

Regarding that article... stats don't explain everything.
    Abbott says this:
    He just contradicts himself. He says stats are better, but in his mind he would want analysis from video.

There's a reason why people want the ball in his hand. It's not about just winning the game with 1 shot on the line. It's about the ability to create a shot with little to work with. I don't see a lot of people in the league with the ability to win a game on the line, with very little time left, and pull off a shot with the defense all over you time and time again. Even if it takes 100+ attempts its still not bad with 31% success rate. On that list he's still the person with the most success despite having the most attempts.

18. jet

jet Senior member

I think I need to post a kobe vid for brother's ignorant self [​IMG]

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

this is an old argument and it comes down to the essential fallacy of trying to analyze basketball using statistics. it makes for interesting arguments, for sure, but i'd say that if 80% of the best basketball minds in the world agree on something and a statistical analysis by a couple of geeks with a PC disagree ... it's probably not the GMs who are at fault.

you can use advanced stats, but proving someone is not so clutch is just a waste of those stats and energy.

using statistical analysis is better used to extract value for filling up roster spots in this situation and creating situational plays. the dallas mavericks and spurs obviously do it. the way the spurs do it is amazing though because the seem to get value players from nowhere.

its like modern defensive statistic analysis in baseball now - where the teams obviously use it, but its all kept secret - (the formulas and ratings) so there's no standard other than the stat geek generated stuff in fantasy leagues.

the top teams use the analysis in basketball for offense and defense but its all secret/non standardized.

the celtics actually do zone shooting percentage per player. thats why you see baby davis always take those 18 footers from basically two spots on the floor and marquis daniels post up even when a guy is taller than him - they set up the plays and have the assigned players shoot it from their highest zone ratings.. then if it doesn't go in they go right back to defense (and abandon trying to get offensive rebounds) - because the advance stats trend is that offensive rebounding is a low percentage gamble if you have a great defense.

my wife's consultancy firm has been recently tapped by the knicks to generate these kind stats/analysis. it kind of shows how far behind the knicks are in the game if they are only just now using stats like this.

20. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Trying to quantitatively measure "clutch shooting"??? [​IMG] [​IMG] whatever you say, ESPN. I'll go ahead and go with this guy anyway...
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. (note: this was just LAST SEASON alone)