• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jordan and Kobe never had a pure PG that holds the ball like Nash or Kidd would (that is why next year will be interesting with Kobe & Nash, this is the first time Kobe will play with a real PG outside of Payton and we saw how that worked out). Kobe and Jordan rarely stood in the corner and waited for someone to pass him the ball and just took the shot or simply makes cuts and through screens like Allen or Hamilton. No, both had to have the ball in their hand, like Wade and Lebron and luckily for both of those, they're the only one that handles the ball in the Heat.
In OKC, put Nash in there and with him handling the ball 50% of the time and Durant doing iso the other times, Westbrook will be useless. he'll get his looks but he needs the ball in his hands to score. He is a mass shooter. He isn't the king of efficiency, he doesn't shoot as well as Durant and at 50fg%, he had to take 20fga last year to get to 23ppg at 43% shooting. In comparison, Lebron takes 19fga(53fg%) 27ppg and Wade takes 17fga(5fg0%) to average 22ppg last year. That means Westbrook essentially has to do more, handle the ball more and shoot more to get less points.
You have this stupid notion that anyone who are a put into a "shooting guard" position should score (evident by your stupud question on why the word "shooting" is in the SG name if they aren't expected to score :brick: ). There are plenty of SG out there that doesn't score much nor are they expected to score. Westbrook is a PG and that is where he will stay especially in a team where the number 1 option is Durant. He is a scoring point guard and no before you ask, point doesn't need to pass all the time.

Well, the SG comment was 1/2 joke, but you're making senseless arguments: because you have a great PG, now you're SG cant see the ball? Thats just not logical.

Look, for me having a great player like Nash would provide options. You're saying a former MVP is stupid enough not to share the ball with a guy that likes to create off the dribble? I dont think so.

And Westbrook could actually gain from it... cutting, off screens, back doors, he'd get easier shots in the process. Fact is that *can* share the ball, especially with a guy like Nash that doesnt have anything to prove.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Think of it this way, you think Iverson would have played as well as he did if Nash or any other elite PG like CP3 or DWill were in his team handling the ball? That's how Westbrook scores and plays, he can shoot range but he is someone who has to create his own shot. He needs the ball in his hand.

You only view it as senseless because you don't get it. I just showed you stats of the players and how much more efficient they are than Westbrook and you expect him to play off position and score more efficiently? I just proved your point is wrong by using Kobe, Jordan and Wade as an example and that is exactly how the Westbrook situation is. He is a great player but he needs to be the focus or the teams main scorer/#1 option for an elite pass first PG be able to play with him and produce like Kobe & Jordan.

Then again you said that Basketball is played exactly like Soccer so there really is no point in arguing with you anymore.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

2011 blazers were full of talent. Roy, Wallace, Aldridge, Batum, Matthews, and they even had andre miller as a backup point guard. If only Greg turned out ok and Roy didnt retire the next season they wouldn't have blown the team up and could've even won a ring. Probably the most exciting team blazers will have for at least another decade. It's really sad as a guy who grew up in oregon idolizing drexler

I'm still surprised Roy is coming back and likely playing with Batum as well.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kobe will be thrilled to play with Nash. Nash doesn't look to score and is the best t getting his guys easy shots. He'll be able to score the same in a much higher efficiency offense, have a better shot at the title as well as the all time scoring record. What's not to like? He's got an ego but he's not a stupid immature **** who will pout if he can't go iso all the time.

Lakers have definitely won the FA season so far

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really do hope Kobe can accept that his age simply wouldn't allow him to play the same way he has before. He isn't in his prime anymore and hopefully that he can adapt his game to having a true PG on his side. Both are smart enough for that I hope.

He does seem like a guy who would play ball in his 40's if any team in the league would allow him. I can imagine him loving the game so much that even when he can't play anymore, you just see him on the court struggling to make a shot to a point that it just becomes sad.

I need Olympics basketball to start now so I have something to put me over until the actual NBA season starts. Although all these trades and signings been pretty interesting.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol Jason Kidd accepting the role of a "tutor" to Lin... Repaying his debts for all the times he cheated off Asians at Cal or what?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

having trouble uploading but came across this gif...
http://www.imgnook.com/aqkOVo.gif

aqkOVo.gif

:lol:

ExhibitA

Reaction score
Kobe's the greatest player since Jordan. Stern and the refs will give Kobe his 6th ring, the same way they gave Lebron his first.

fir3fox

Reaction score

Kobe's the greatest player since Jordan.  Stern and the refs will give Kobe his 6th ring, the same way they gave Lebron his first.

No way Stern wanted LeBron to win one this year.

-He would have preferred OKC to win so he could say, "See, small market teams can win", anyone else want to buy a **** franchise?
-He wanted the "Lebron can't win" narrative to continue along with the ratings that came with people tuning in to watch him lose.
-He would have loved to see the "Big Three" in Miami lose so he could have indirectly told the players, "Collusion gets you nothing, let the owners decide where you play".

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm honestly happy for Brandon Roy but am a little worried too. He was really slow against mavs even during his miraculous comeback in game 4. He's crafty enough that he can get away with it tho.

Excited for the wolves especially if they can get Batum.

Last edited:

ExhibitA

Reaction score
@fir3fox Good points, but I don't agree with all of them. Statisically the Heat were at the free-throw line more than any of their opponents. I remember watching the BOS and OKC series and being in disbelief of the questionable calls by the refs... According to viewership the playoff games for MIA vs BOS were some of the most watched in NBA history. The billions of dollars generated from TV revenue add to my opinion that its in the interest of the NBA to sell a storyline and provide entertainment. What better entertainment would it be than to have a Lakers vs Heat 2013 NBA Finals.

ExhibitA

Reaction score
lol ... if it happens, then we're definitely on to something.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads