NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. thinman

thinman Senior member

The Lakers are looking good, but they should have taken a gamble on Brandon Roy in addition to getting Nash. Nash will make them much better, but another shooter would make them crazy-good.

Although the talking heads on ESPN were criticizing the Lakers' acquisition of Nash because he won't help the Lakers' ability to defend OKC, I think the Lakers with Nash just might be able to out-score the Thunder.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That wont happen.

3. thinman

thinman Senior member

I hope not, but I'm worried (Westbrook isn't smart enough to blow by the lead-footed Nash; he'll just jack up jumpers all night long).

4. Harbin

Harbin Senior member

As long as Lakers don't have a long wing player to guard Durant effectively I don't think they will be able to beat the Thunder

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Thus, the reason I liked the idea of the Iguodala trade.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

You don't need a big wingman to defend Durant (and no, Iggy simply won't do, dude is 6'6" while Lebron is 6'8" and might as well be 6'9" with longer arms). KD averaged 30ppg (~55 fg%) in the Finals and got beat in 5 games. The Lakers was better at defending him where he averaged 27ppg (~52 fg%) in 5 games.

7. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Honestly from what I remember from the OKC LA series, the Lakers main problem was the fact that the offence totally broke down at the end of games and started looking like amateur hour.
    Nash should help that while being only a slight, if any, downgrade from Sessions/Blake of D.
    Also, if Nash is helping guys get easier looks on O, the Laker's should have better energy and less frustration on D.

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I think Nash will help in transition baskets as well, I find that somewhat of a weak spot for the Lakers. With a PG like Nash, Brown should make the team run a bit more. I can see Ebanks & McRobers benefit from it if they keep hustling back.

In other NBA news, Philly is going to amnesty Brand. If they can get him cheap, the Lakers & Clippers could use his services (Clips got Billups for a $2mil last year after being amnestied). Doubtful though but I am sure the Heat will thrown in a bid as well.

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

knicks should make a play for brand, they have no real bench big men, jefferies is the closest we have and he is a hustler, but undersized and injury prone.

10. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

You think the Mavs will commit to rebuilding and deal Dirk?

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Are they over their cap? I think those with cap room gets first dibs that's why I already think it's impossible for the Lakers to get them but I believe if they have the highest bid that they can still get him. Not sure if they'd want to splurge too much on Brand though.

12. moffy

moffy Senior member

Lakers, Heat, & Knicks are all over the cap, so neither can get Brand unless no below-the-cap team makes a bid.

And word is that the Mavs are willing to bid pretty high on him and they are under the cap.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I believe the Clips are too. Time to re-unite him with Odom. :D

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This has been a very disappointing off season so far.

The 2 perfect player that would help OKC go to bitch teams, LA and NY. Dallas falling apart. Ray Allen licking balls with lebron and wade.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Get over it dude, Westbrook is staying as a PG. I don't know why you believe so bad that the team has to be blown up. The team keep improving and they take it one step further every year, literally. By that calculation, they'd be champions next year. A successful team that has made the finals isn't going to blow up the team or change peoples roles since they are successful so far. They are young, athletic and getting tons of experience and adapting to it quick. They got Thabeet so they just got taller and more athletic, the team is good, just need more bench scoring and not much else.