NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Those pics are all end of round options anyway. None of them would have turned into ANYWHERE near as good of a player as Steve Nash, even at this point in his career.

2. moffy

moffy Senior member

Honestly, if the Lakers are going to rely on MWP (career 34%) and Barnes (career 33%) to hit 3s, they're in trouble. Even Kobe's not a good 3-point shooter (career 33%.)

I would say, if you're not Bynum or Pau, you should be able to consistently hit the 3.

And the Lakers can't get Ray unless he signs for the veteran minimum, which isn't happening.

EDIT: Granted, just by virtue of playing with Nash I'm sure Barnes and MWP would hit the 3 with better accuracy, but I still wouldn't trust them.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I love Nash, one of my favorite Canadians ever - doesn't quite make up for the Canucks also giving us Justin Bieber but that's not his fault. but it would be hilarious to see him try to check Westbrook, Parker and CP3 in the playoffs

hey is puppet Lebron wearing a Panerai? :D

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Eh, QRich is a 35% shooter behind the line, JRich at 37%, Ryan Anderson at 38% and Ray Allen is at 40% (the best 3pt shooter in the league, maybe ever?).

I just noticed that Barnes might not even be back. Is he a FA?

Courtney Lee is an FA this year and I think he'd make a good replacement (better shooter, good defender, athletic and hustles a lot). Barbosa could also provide a good boost from the bench, he's still plenty fast and can score when given minutes. Those two are probably the only players they might be able to get for cheap. Other FAs I'd like to see but might too expensive for the Lakers are Delfino, Ilyasova, Belinelli, Meeks, CJ Miles, Rush, Foye, Young and Allen.

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i'm with rambro on this ... there was a bit of weeping and moaning earlier this month in the media (OK, my paper) about the laker's failures with draft picks. i'd argue that's endemic in the nba. i think you'll probably find more first-round failures than unexpected successes. i'd much rather trade four in the bush for a bird like nash in the hand.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Interesting, the Clips canceller their meeting with Ray Allen and re-signed Billups and sign JCrawford.

7. moffy

moffy Senior member

Looks like Barnes is a free agent.

What I think the Lakers need is a better version of MWP/Barnes, i.e. an athletic SF who can defend and hit the corner three.

And a stretch-4. Whatever big comes off the bench for Pau/Bynum needs to be able to consistently hit an 18 footer. They still have McBobs and can resign Jordan Hill. Whoever they end up going with should be able to shoot that 18 footer.

Granted, the Lakers can't outright sign anyone particularly good, because all they can offer is the veteran minimum and the taxpayer's midlevel exception, which i believe is under $3mil per year.

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Pau can consistently hit mid-range shots, which makes him even more perfect for pick&rolls with Nash.

9. moffy

moffy Senior member

Ya, i think Pau is going to see the biggest benefit from having Nash on the floor with him.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

For who though? Dwights the only possibility but really with Bynum in the team, Dwight will seem redundant. Plus I think Orlando wants Bynum more than Pau, younger and higher ceiling at this point of their careers.

12. moffy

moffy Senior member

I think Pau is less likely to get traded now that they have Nash, but if he does, it will probably be for something like Iguodala and Thad Young or something of the like.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  13. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Even if Kobe holds the ball a ton, Nash is a great shooter. They can play off each other pretty well.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I suspect he'll either get thrown in the Howard deal as part of a 3rd team, or...

Something like this. Which I would gladly welcome. Iguodala would be a perfect stopper, and someone athletic enough, to go against Miami or OKC.

15. Harbin

Harbin Senior member

Okay let's talk about the Rockets. TANK MODE