1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I dont think he was planning to retire without a run at Kareems all time scoring record. Nasty injury. He'll recover.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Kobe's similar injury comparison is Dominique Wilkins who tore his achilles at the age of 32. Within a year he was back at full strength and doing things like so:

Look up wilkins stats after 1992 (when the injury happened) and you can see he was playing at a very high level:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wilkido01.html

If I remember he was still flying over defenders and dunking at 37 when he was on the spurs.

I fully expect [​IMG] to play nash near 40mins per game in the playoffs now :fu:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  3. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Probably booked the first flight to Germany to get the finest Nazi placenta stem cells money can buy.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Interesting take on whether the Lakers should amnesty Kobe

"When Kobe Bryant went down in the fourth quarter of Friday night's game against the Golden State Warriors, the immediate concern for the Lakers organization was winning the game and maintaining its tenuous grip on the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference. However, when news broke that Bryant's injury was, in fact, a probable torn Achilles tendon, the confidence built by the Lakers' closing the win without him was quickly negated. "It's just a tough hit, tough blow for everyone and, for the ones who love him and have a great respect for him, even more," teammate Pau Gasol said with tears in his eyes.

The reality is that, even with a healthy Bryant, the Lakers had been doomed to be first-round fodder for, most likely, the Oklahoma City Thunder. Now, as Bryant begins the arduous road to recovery, the franchise seems to be at its lowest point in a season full of low points. But if the Lakers shift their focus from the immediate future to the long term, they'll find that this injury might actually be the best thing to happen.

If it is indeed a torn Achilles tendon that Bryant suffered Friday, the Lakers have to figure out how to make the best of a bad situation.

And it can start with using the amnesty provision on Kobe Bryant.

First, a word about Achilles injuries …

The ruptured Achilles tendon is one of the most devastating injuries in basketball. If Bryant suffered a full tear, the rehab and recovery might last a year.

It likely will be four months before he can start jogging and six months before he can commence on-court drills. Many players return but never recapture their pre-injury levels of production, or return too early and further injure themselves. In a recent example, Chauncey Billups of the Los Angeles Clippers tore his Achilles tendon in February 2012, attempted to come back in late November 2012 and played three games before sitting again until February 2013.

So it is fair to assume that even with an aggressive rehab, we can expect Bryant to be out until about the All-Star break, and even then he might be a shell of his former self. To fully recuperate at his age (almost 35), he probably should take an entire year off, effectively missing the 2013-14 season.

The Lakers' salary situation

If Dwight Howard re-signs for the maximum allowable salary, which would start at about $20.5 million in 2013-14, the Lakers can expect their payroll to top $100 million (assuming Metta World Peace does not exercise his early termination option and the Lakers renounce all other impending free agents, such as Earl Clark and Devin Ebanks).

Under the new punitive measures of the CBA, taxpaying teams will be subject to incremental tax rates; in other words, the further above the luxury tax threshold you are, the more you pay for additional salary. Assuming the luxury tax threshold is $72 million in 2013-14 (which is actually a favorable assumption for the Lakers), L.A. can expect to pay about $85 million in luxury taxes.

To clarify: That's $100 million plus in salary, and another $85 million plus to the NBA for the right to pay its players that much -- almost $200 million cash out for the 2013-14 season alone.

On top of that hefty bill, the Lakers would face other penalties: They would continue to be prohibited from acquiring players via sign-and-trade and would not be able to use the full midlevel exception (worth $5.2 million in 2013-14) or the biannual exception (worth $2.0 million in 2013-14). Additionally, they could open themselves up for possible repeater tax penalties down the line in 2015 or 2016 (yes, an even more punitive tax structure awaits them).

After the Lakers' bitterly disappointing performance so far in 2012-13, and now with Bryant injured, it's easy to see that the costs of moving forward with this roster as presently constructed far outweigh the benefits. The best way to avoid the looming financial wreck would be to miraculously shed roughly $30 million from the official payroll.

The amnesty provision

ESPN Insider colleague Larry Coon has written the definitive document on the NBA's complicated collective bargaining agreement -- the NBA Salary Cap FAQ.

Here is a key passage for the Lakers:

"Amnesty is a one-time opportunity for teams to release one player via the waiver process and remove him from their team salary and luxury tax computations. For a player to be eligible for the Amnesty provision he must be on his team's roster continuously from July 1, 2011 to the date he is amnestied, without any new contract, extension, renegotiation or other amendment to his contract in the meantime."

What this means for the Kobe and the Lakers

So the Lakers could cut Kobe and erase his contract from the books (although they would still have to pay him the $30.4 million remaining on his contract after this season).

Not only would the Lakers save tens of millions of dollars in tax payments but they also would once again have the ability to improve their roster via the full midlevel exception, the biannual exception and sign-and-trade deals. They wouldn't have Bryant, but he likely will spend most of the season rehabbing anyway.

There is a catch, but even that works out in the Lakers' favor, if they want to take advantage of it. When a team "amnesties" a player, it cannot reacquire that player until the expiration date of the contract. For example, the Houston Rockets let Luis Scola go in 2012 with three years remaining on his deal; as such, they are prohibited from reacquiring Scola until 2015 (when his original deal would have expired).

In Bryant's case, his contract would expire just about the time he's ready to return to full health. Therefore, the Lakers would be able to bring him back just at the time he would be worth bringing back, presumably. (We're assuming that he can make it all the way back, but it's not a given, based on the history of NBA Achilles tendon injuries.) And if he can't get healthy, the Lakers wouldn't have to sign him.

Solving the PR problem

Releasing such an iconic player could become a public relations nightmare for the Lakers, among fans and others around the league. But that problem is solved if Bryant cooperates.

By publicly agreeing to depart via the amnesty provision, Bryant could save the Lakers' reputation, their cash and their flexibility to build for the future. In fact, the ideal scenario for the Lakers would be for Bryant to announce that amnesty was his idea -- his way of sparing the Lakers' ownership and front office the scorn of a fan base that otherwise would see this as a slap in the face, to Bryant and to their support for him and the team.

Why would Kobe do this? Well, one incentive could be a tacit understanding with the Lakers that he would be able to rejoin the team in the summer of 2014 as an unrestricted free agent. That's just when the Lakers are expected to have a massive amount of cap room to sign Bryant (at a smaller number) and other free agents.

If the Lakers and Bryant were to have such an understanding, neither party would be able to acknowledge it publicly because the NBA has harsh rules against under-the-table deals with prospective free agents. But the real-world truth of the NBA is that such agreements have been known to happen in the league from time to time -- some would say they happen quite frequently, in fact.

In this scenario, everybody wins: The Lakers get in better financial shape; Bryant gets paid without having to join another franchise; and he comes back to a stronger roster than the one he left behind.

Bryant has vowed to retire a Laker. But it doesn't sound as if he's ready to retire yet, even after Friday night's setback. And we know he desperately wants to win at least one more ring -- his next one will tie him with Michael Jordan. If he and the Lakers can find a way to make amnesty palatable for all concerned, he might just get what he wants."

5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Terrible break for Kobe and the Lakers. What else could possibly go wrong this season? The look on Kobe's face when he hobbled back to the line to shoot his free throws... my gosh... how painful must it be to "walk" with a torn Achilles? Love him or hate him the man is a warrior.

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

And he hit them both, too.

Was an ESPN article talking about this and they only had something like 14 Achilles tears recorded in NBA history. Is it really that rare in the NBA? Seems to have much more in the NFL, usually linemen getting rolled up on each other.

7. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

How bad is Miami as a sports town? Every time they're on national TV there have got to be 10-20% of the visible seats empty. I would guess that overall, it still way behind Charlotte and Atlanta as terrible sports towns, but it's probably in the top 5.

8. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Agreed! But a little less than Weezy effected yours!
    I am actually enjoying Melo's and Knicks run but folks are getting overly excited.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well, its somewhat relative. Miami is the SINGLE BIGGEST bandwagon town in America. Owing mostly to the fact that a large percentage of the population is from somewhere else. Coupled with the fact that many of them aren't even American, and thus don't even give a flying fuck about American sports, leads to a very weird makeup as a sports city. You'll find tribute bars for teams from all over the country. But when the Heat are winning, people come out. Many times, just to be seen. Its very similar to LA in that regard, except the more international population leads it to be even less interested.

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the FOBs (asian/latino/euro/) in the southern cali area usually end up becoming diehard Laker fans and even dodger fans. Its an introduction into america that way learning the sports and following the lakers/dodgers religiously. I saw it first hand when I lived there when I was a kid. the lakers may have bandwagon fans, but they also have a huge true multigenerational rabid fan base that covers all the races.

thats one of the underrated aspects of the Boston Sports scene - there are so many new immigrants in the New England area (working class to super educated ivy leaguers) there's always a new influx of new red sox/celtics/bruins/patriot fans who end up following the teams religiously also. My mom and dad didn't know shit about baseball but ended up learning the game by watching Red Sox games (which eventually bled into following the Celtics, Pats, and Bruins too). Except for new englanders there's also a mass migration outward after growing up in the area. Hence the permeation of boston fans into basically everywhere.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

it's a football town. the Dolphins and the Hurricanes have far more diehards. we also got fucked by Loria and the Marlins too many times to count so that has to factor into the apathy.

also, i have a partial share of Heat season tickets and they are really doing their best to price the common man out of watching Heat games. yeah, i guess the true diehard would miss breakfast every day or whatever to afford their tickets, but it's a lot harder to do these days. i also sloughed off my tickets to my partners until the playoffs once they started resting their players :nodding:

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Different cultures. The Mexicans and Asians already have baseball and basketball as part of their culture - Mexico from America and Asia from Yao Ming... Football is even creeping into Mexico now. People from Quebec, Germany, Russia, and South America don't really give a flying fuck about baseball or football. Even basketball barely creeps on their radar, although the Brazilians are getting more into it now. Plus, national identity is far more important to them than local team identity. During the World Cup, all the South Americans would be watching games at restaurants and bars (owned by SA's, of course) at 3-4 in the morning, then going to work at 9. It was crazy.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Lakers, baby. Lakers.

I know it was a horrible shooting night by the Spurs, but still.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Oh shit, Camby cleared for a return. With the front line banged up, would be epic to see him return to his 99' glory. Lol

Looks like nuggets vs rockets in the 3vs6 matchup. Really looking forward to this series if it can hold

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

ya... the "Blake Mamba" was big last night!

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That doesn't work

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

man, the Hawks have to be the worst team that's perpetually in the NBA playoffs in history. it seems that they have been in the playoffs for my entire adult life and done absolutely nothing in any of them, at least not that i can remember. and i'm really trying here.

this year is particularly weak - they've always rolled over in the first or second round but they have decided to speed things up and start rolling over in the week before the playoffs start.

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Shitty end to the season. Its rest-gate.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Waiters flunks Birdman

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013