1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. jet

jet Senior member

truer words have never been said

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have no issue admitting Kobe is the best player in the league, the guy who is the most adaptable to any system/style and the guy above anyone else in the league that I would want to have the ball in his hands for the winning shot. LeBron is great when he is playing great. When things aren't going his way, he has a tendency to disappear. Without Wade they would not have won the chip and they won't win it this year if Wade does not play well, regardless of what LeBron does. I want to see LeBron in 10 years, see how he adapts his game when he doesn't have the speed or the strength. Will he develop Kobe's/Jordan's mid-range post up game? Will he become a better 3 point shooter? How will he play if he finds himself on a mediocre team at age 35?

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the advanced analytics say that Carmelo is statisitcally the best "clutch" player in the league. :teach: :fu:

I'm psyched about Jeff Green... he does have glaring confidence issues, but damn he has the tools... he's also a two way player... he's like reggie lewis (heart problems aside): 6'7" long, fast, athletic, excellent defender, and can score 30+ super meek/quiet points. hell he had 40+ last night and it was a super quiet 40+.

1 person likes this.
  4. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

If you consider the whole body of work at this point right now, then Kobe is the better player... but Lebron is better now than Kobe ever was.

And secondly, that's a ridiculous argument, the Lakers wouldn't have won those championships if Pau wasn't playing well (I remember he was averaging like 20 and 10 and shooting ridiculous like 56% or something both runs). Of course you need your second best player to play well to win chips.

I agree that Lebron's game is not going to age well unless he drastically improves those aspects that don't involve sheer outclassing people athletically.

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

phi slamma jamma

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

of course, if you want to talk about dunks .... the OTHER doctor [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

But that's my point - he's PF size and strength but his speed is second to none and he has the handle and vision of a top-flight PG. he would do well in any era if we are talking about physical tools. Mentally, I sort of agree - this season he's been a stone cold killer...but all his career it's been a question previously

If he played in Karl Malone's era he would never be the best player in the league because of the simple fact that Jordan was also playing

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That James dunk was no big deal. Terry was already falling over. The only reason guys do this now is because of the flagrant fouls rule. Dunking is too easy now. This is starting to look like the Harlem Globetrotters.

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

dunk was ok. passing beforehand was terrific.

1 person likes this.
  11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

James gets all the plaudits, but D Wade has been playing some stunning ball. It's understated efficency is Duncanesque.

1 person likes this.
  12. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

+1

13. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

If there was any doubt as to who will win the NBA title this year, there is no more after last night. Watching the Heat come back from 27 down in the second half to with #24 showed me everything I needed to see. They looked unstoppable. This team is still hungry after their first title. When Reshard Lewis wins a title in June he'll realize that he's the luckiest man alive in the world.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Curb your enthusiasm: it was the Cavaliers. No Irving or Waiters or Verajao.

15. edmorel

+1

Winning 24 in a row is impressive but the playoffs are the only thing that matter. No one is going to remember or care about how may they win in the regular season if they shit a brick in the playoffs.

2 people like this.
  16. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

knicks, baby knicks. The streak is at 1

1 person likes this.
  17. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

not to wish ill on anyone ... well, ok on the celtics or the heat, but no one else ... the thing to remember about the nba is that all it takes is one bad landing to change the whole season. most teams really have 3 main cogs. lose one of them and that's deadly.

18. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the grizzlies and nuggets are actually legit championship contenders right now.

one of my dream finals this year would be the nuggets vs the heat where all the scores are at least in the 120's and it goes 7 games with the heat losing because Lebron has too much muscle mass that can't be adequately oxygenated in the high altitude and he gets massive cramps and ends up fainting on court. :bounce2:

2 people like this.
  19. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I get you, but still it was their fifth road game in 8 nights. They were down 27 points and they took it down to 9 in the span on 6 minutes. There was a part of the game where CLE couldn't get the ball inside of MIA's 3-point line for like 4 straight possessions. This MIA team is a team that still has the competitive fire (see Dallas '11-'12 season for counterexample). They are going to coast through the Eastern Conference playoffs and they will have to play an OKC, SAS, or DEN team that just waged a 7 game war against one of the other two.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  20. edmorel

they lost twice to both NY and Indiana, both of those teams present serious problems for MIami, Indiana presents serious problems for both the Knicks and Heat in a playoff series.