NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

In addition, the '08 Celtics championship had the big 3 or 4, but no "superstar". There are only a few of those in the league.

Look at the Sixers and Pacers teams... contenders without big names.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I got to disagree with Boston. KG is a definite Superstar and a top PF in Minny. He wasn't the aging KG of today in his first year with Boston either. Career 20/10 guy and he actually averaged/led Minny to the playoffs on almost a yearly basis (even averaged 24/14 at one point), I hate the dude but I say he was a Superstar, especially in his peak days and I'd include that Boston championship year too. He was definitely part of the elites and was a much bigger star than most may think. He just got stuck in Minny and with Adidas. Dude was as big as Kobe is now in China too iirc.

I say Allen was a Superstar too, maybe his hanging between tier 1 & 2 but dude was a franchise player averaged 26pts in Seattle before he went to Boston. Same can be said with Pierce, although his team hasn't done any better but he was a scoring machine even with Walker on his team (hard feat to do?).

All 3 had to sacrifice stats and their game to win a chip and Allen & Pierce may fall more to tier 2 but KG was a legit superstar and was in contention as the best PF with Duncan in his peak years.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

3. mxgreen

mxgreen Senior member

Re: the Celtics - Garnett, Allen and Pierce will all be Hall of Famers based on their body of work as of this date. Rondo is on his way.

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

maybe we need to define who the true superstars in the league are -

Kobe, Durant, Lebron, Wade, Dirk, CP3, Howard?

KG and Duncan were legit superstars in their day and even though they are not top tier anymore I have no problem putting them in the above based on career achievement

5. mxgreen

mxgreen Senior member

Certainly Rose belongs on that list. And, Williams, Love and Westbrook are just about there.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

A Superstar has to be a franchise player that carries the team and have a big name (playing in a big market helps as well). The players that you would deem worthy of a max contract. As mention, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Howard, Durant, CP3, Deron, Melo, etc... are all Superstars.

I'd put the next tier as All-Star where they are good in their own right but just isn't as skilled or did not play their best in a big market. Bosh is a good example. He was the franchise player and the big name with the Raptors but the problem is he played in Toronto, a team that barely has any post-season record to boast about. I can't quite put him in the Superstar category just because he couldn't fully lead the team deep enough in the post-season and he just isn't as big of a name as the others. If I owned the franchise and I am stuck with him as my main star, I'd offer him a max contract. Do I think he deserves it, not really. He was integral in the Heats championship though but he really is just like Pau, best as a second/third option.

7. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Whether you think LBJ deserves his ring or not for whatever reasons, this final series proved to everyone that he's without question the best player in the league today.

Love Durant but he's still quite a bit behind for now.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

There are only 4 superstars in the league right now: Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Rose

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

No way, KG was past his peak in '08. KG peaked in '04.

Pierce, Allen, Rondo, all great players, all stars, but not superstars.

The team won that title w/o a real superstar. If it was KG of 2 or 3 years before than yes. But even with 1 superstar, it still negates the points above.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Nah. KG averaged 22/11 a year before he went to Boston, that is only 2 pts and 3reb below his career high and he was only 31yrs old (old for his nba career I guess but dude is still fit).

And there are more than 4 Superstars in the league. :lol: Melo, CP3, Deron, etc... These are top rank players you give max contracts to. They'll make your team better and put butts on the arena seats.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

lol. rose has been injured most of the year. i'd put cp3 and love up there. even if they didnt get far they basically carried their teams

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I wouldn't put Love up there yet even though he maybe the best PF this year. He just hasn't proven himself yet, I'd wait til he makes the playoffs before mentioning him as Superstar.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

We have different definitions of superstars, then. Chris Paul? G G G GTFO

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Ummm, CP3 immediately made the Clips contenders (while being hurt btw). CP3 makes everyone on the court better, look at the Hornets after he left, they were practically in the playoffs every year he was there with some bums. He made Chandler score more points, look at his average now. He made Okafor looks much better than he was, look at him now. Same with DWest, look how terrible he is in the Pacers (averaged 12/6 while he average 20/8 with CP3).

Seirously, you don't consider the arguably best PG in the game for the past 5-6 years and has led his team to the post season almost every season as a Superstar?

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Definitely not. There are lots of good players like that. Rondo is a better PG IMO and I dont consider him a superstar.

IMO, Nash, D Williams, Rose, Rondo, Parker are all better.