1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The slam dunk contest should require contested dunks. Sort of a posterizing contest.

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Last play of the half was beautiful, no?

Lebron falling though was weird. LawrenceMD did that look odd?

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i think the play before he was tripped by howard.

that last play was like a flea flicker in football where they used ray allen as a huge assed decoy and the QB then is just smiling because he throws a easy as pie 30 yard pass to the open receiver (lebron ) for the TD.

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Then Lebron also fell after the last play in defense before half court...was odd. He was holding his risk afterwards. :paranoia:

Close game at half.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Who is this earl clark kid?

6. jet

jet Senior member

He's been pretty good past few games.

7. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the only way for kobe/lakers to win is to create a team focused/deferent to kobe. it can work (2009 2010). Kobe looks like he's too set in his ways to really let Nash and Howard dominate the ball, so its best to just surround kobe with people willing to serve him. the lakers don't really have a choice with kobe's 30million/year contract until next year. kobe's still elite and will be to next year... maybe just wait out his contract then let him walk if he wants to rather than be a slave to his game in his waning years after 2014.

maybe the lakers should just trade dwight howard.

nets: get dwight howard
    lakers: get brook lopez and gerald wallace.

the trade actually works in the nba trade machine.

brooklyn gets their franchise guy. lakers get two great players (a legit center and the athletic swing forward they covet) who will totally be willing to defer their games to bryant.

in two years CP3 and Lebron are actually potential unrestricted free agents... in two year even with the brook lopez and gerald wallace contracts they will have the cap space to sign a max contract player (since everyone else comes off the books).....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Heat's effort in the Laker game was night and day compared to the other games in this road trip (I didn't see the dubs game but maybe that was the turning point judging from the result). so they can get up for the Lakers but not for the Blazers or Utah? if they play like this it would be hard for any team to beat them in 7 games

10. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

is Ish Smith going to be in the dunk contest? He's got ups, Ish is the ish. And I agree, the dunk contest should b contested dunks over bigs. When you think about the most memorable dunks, its always someone skying on a big and dunking. also Teague should be in the contest.

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

I haven't watched it in a while, but I don't understand why anyone watches it.

Who watches the ProBowl or the MLB All-Star game?

All of them are based on politics, not current performance.

12. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

are you really asking who watches the MLB All Star game :confused:

And the NBA All Star game is voted on by the fans, not sure where the "politics" comes in. The reserves are chosen by the coaches and there will always be deserving players left off since there are only spaces for what, 12-15 players a side?

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

It is about performance, it is still entertaining to watch the best in the league go at it and believe it or not they do get competitive once the 4th quarter gets rolling. These guys are all soft and friends these days but at the end of the day they still want to win and you'll see defense lock down and it becomes more physical.

And again, no politics in the NBA ASG at all. As Ed said, the starters are voted by fans and the reserves are voted in by coaches. There will be snubs but that is simply part of life.

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

BTW last night on the Lakers/Heat game, the refs completely forgot to call travelling violations. Artest practically took 5 steps to the basket and Lebron did a ninja roll with ball in hand and stood up w/o any travelling calls. :lol: It happened throughout the whole night too. Fucking ridiculous.

And the Lakers problem, it honestly isn't Kobe, it's the defense. Even when Kobe struggles, they manage to still score and with Nash out there, he can hit timely 3's and create. It's the defense that needs to be fixed and getting Brook Lopez will just make it worse. Look at last night, there were times that Lebron and Wade were doing lay-up drills.

As the announcers themselves said last night, the way the game was played, it looks like the Heat was suppose to be winning by 20-25 points easily. Lakers had 12 turnovers in the first quarter and they were shocked the Heat only lead by 2 points. The Lakers led in the 3rd quarter going to the fourth, their defense just collapsed once again. If they can keep the same intensity on defense the whole night and consistently instead of 5 minute spurts, this team would be much, much better.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Also, Alvin Gentry just got fired by the Suns.

16. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I've bet money on the MLB all star game to make it more interesting. I'm 0/3 the last three years :facepalm:

whaaaaat? the NBA has the most Political method for players to be voted into the ASG!

the players can pander directly to the NBA fans for votes!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

damn chris bosh was actually pretty funny. now he goes into conniptions after the slightest positive play during a game (like scoring a two point basket).

oh yeah please insert an Obama/black Yao/J-Lin/Chinese political racist joke about how they won elections/voted into ASG here ________.

17. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Are you serious about youtube vids as a way to get into the ASG as a starter? Show me a superstar that had to make a vid to make the starting 5 that shouldn't have been and then I might concede to your point but all these stars made it because of their name or talent. Hell even MJ couldn't make the starting 5 when he was with the Wizards and he should have been a sure in on name alone.

As for Yao, the only thing that wasn't fair with him getting in was that he got hurt too much but dude was a legit top 5 center when he plays. JLin not making it means that there is still some sense in people when it comes to voting. Really not that political in my eyes.

18. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

actually, the defense last night was much improved over earlier in the month. most of the layups came off of fast-breaks. they had as many turnovers as baskets in the first half! jeez. then at the end, lebron just took over. he's a tough cover for anyone. actually, considering everything, last night was a bit of a moral victory. they lost a close game to the best team in the nba, despite playing under their potential. and it was a great example of the paradox of kobe. he shot them out of the game early in the second half, then shot them back in. i did like what barkley said about howard needing to give some black eyes if he didn't get more touches, but when i watched the replays, damn miami did a good job defending him. sometimes they had 3 guys phasing in and out, fronting and backing. it did seem like the pau/dwight combination worked better ... pretty tough high-low, as long as pau is getting the ball out so high that he's shooting 3s.

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Kevin Garnett didn't need a youtube video to make the ASG starters this year... but he did need a little help from.....

and I'm a huge celtics fan... but KG isn't an ASG starter... its clearly a fan generated position.

edit: holy shit... carmelo is going to start right next to KG! awkward... :uhoh:

20. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Not sure how that comment gave him a vote in the starting 5, dude was already leading in votes before last week iirc. I agree that KG shouldn't start but he is the biggest name star in the East in that frontcourt position. As far as big names, it really is a toss up between KG and Bosh for that final spot, neither deserved it. Nothing political about that though, fans weren't swayed one way or the other, they just want their favorite stars in there.