NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

lol but Hakeem was a once in a lifetime talent. had no weaknesses as a defender and one of the two best shotblockers of his generation (with Mutombo), could handle the ball like a guard and hit shots anywhere inside the 3-point line. plus IMO he had the best post game of all time, bar none. hard to just say everyone should be like him.

honestly, since Dwight is such a knucklehead on offense I would say that Bynum is the best out there right now in terms of post offense. as long as Kobe passes him the ball

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I think all centers/forwards should aspire to obtain olajuwans post game. Just imagine if Blake had such post skills. He could get shots in on any defender. With his strength and athleticism he could prolly make shots off the block that even olajuwan couldn't.

I think olajuwans even has a school for people who aspire to improve their post game

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Look at the math. Out of the millions of kids that play b-ball, 10,000 play college ball every year across all divisions. About 50 get drafted to the NBA.

Out of those 50, there isn't 1 athlete which can post up on a big man. ANDREW FUCKING BYNUM is the best offensive center we got? We got a lazy ass culture boys.

Gimme D Howard's body for 10 minutes and I'd score 100 points. Barkley is right, our current crop sucks. Jordan would eat LeBron's lunch.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

says the guy in short-shorts.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'd still wear them with his body. My moose knuckles would intimidate the shit out of everyone.

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

you got no argument from me there. Hakeem isn't even a US product.

Roy Hibbert might be the only other guy other than Bynum that has bothered to develop a post game. he's just not as quick or agile, but he does well with what he has. of course, he is a product of the fine college program that is Georgetown University

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Speaking of strictly post-up moves in the center position.
    Greg Monroe can develop to be a good, post-up center.
    Marc Gasol is pretty good too and I think he is about hit his prime (27yrs old right now).
    Al Horford is decent but most finesse than pure power like Shaq was.
    Brook Lopez has potential, dude just needs to learn to rebound.
    Kaman has a good post up game too, he can go either left or right.

I don't really pay much attention to college ball but is there any legit centers in next years draft? I keep hearing it's loaded with talents but can it be as loaded as the 2003 draft?

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

another product of the fine college program that is Georgetown University :nodding:

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

seriously, though, i think any of us are kidding ourselves if we think that given even a body like howard's that we could become a hakeem (or a shaq or a kobe). i've known some top-caliber athletes and there's one thing about almost all of them -- they are dead boring as people. think about what it would take to spend 10 hours a day for 10 years doing nothing but playing basketball. and not just playing (the guys you're knocking are doing that), but patiently going over footwork and honing moves until it's all in muscle memory. and then once you get to the point where you're making, say $7 to $10 mill a year for doing it, you have to work even harder in order to not plateau. those are not normal people, either physically or mentally.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Spend 14 hours a day for 50 years digging in a salt mine for $350 a week and try not to rampage murder 100 people in your lifetime, now thats an accomplishment. Which one would you prefer?

You're dead right: athletes are boring ass people. Its not the time they spend working on it, its that they are coddled and jocked and ball licked to death and dont have to develop personalities. Its the same as really hot girls. Ever talk to a really hot girl and be amazed at how interesting and intelligent she is? Good luck. Wont happen.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

mine's hot and interesting and intelligent but i'm a little biased. well i guess more cute than hot.

and everybody rfx listed can shoot free throws..... unlike bynum, dwight, and blake, the most lauded centers right now

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

just to be fair ... bynum worked on his free throw shooting and ended up almost 80% for the playoffs. one of the frustrating things about the guy ... he can do almost anything he sets his mind to. if he feels like it. which his only occasionally does.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i didnt realize that. it was under my impression that his free throws were pretty bad during the regular season. that's pretty cool

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

pics

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

no. too risky. i've seen the shitstorms that can happen with real pics enough times to not want to do it