Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I love to see timmy and pops bookend their run with another lockout title

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

as i understand it, so will pau and bynum. i think sessions will be the only regular starter

4. moffy

moffy Senior member

alright ladies, playoff matchups are official. predictions anyone?

SA over Utah in 5
    OKC over Dallas in 6
    Lakers over Denver in 5
    Memphis over Clippers in 7

Chicago over Philly in 5
    Miami over NYK in 5
    Indy over Orlando in 5
    Boston over Atlanta in 6

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Western will be much more entertaining, as usual. I'm down with most of what you have, but we should pick an upset. I'm saying Chicago in the East, and OKC in the West.

Which makes the finals the Lakers or Spurs vs. Heat.

My pick (Surprise) is Spurs all the way.

6. BEAR JEW

BEAR JEW Senior member

I got the Bulls getting out of the east this year - they should be relatively okay for the first 2 rounds before they hopefully run into NYK in the ECF lol. Really hope Drose is back to his old self in the playoffs.

The Spurs would have to go through, potentially, Utah, Memphis and then Lakers/OKC...that is pretty brutal lol. They are going to get worn down by all that size down low. I wonder if Pop will play his entire team or shorten the rotation like most teams will.

7. moffy

moffy Senior member

There always seems to be at least 1 upset in the first round, but not sure what it's going to be. I can see the Clips and Hawks pulling it off. And I can see the Lakers going to a game 7 if they lose their focus as usual.

Overall I'd probably say that the Heat will come out of the east and the west seems like more of a tossup, but I'd probably go with the Spurs.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i think the Heat come out of the East, but only because I believe Derrick Rose has serious health issues. I can't believe they have held him out for as much of the season as they have, only for him to just come and flip the switch. but if he is healthy, then no one in the east stands a chance against the Bulls, much as I hate to admit it.

the West is OKC's to lose, with apologies to San Antonio and the awesome job Pop has done

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

9. moffy

moffy Senior member

Really? What's the difference between this Bulls team and the team that lost to Miami in 5 last year?

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

[​IMG]

I think the Lakers are going to be hurting w/o Artest. Nuggets is a feisty team, they could use MWPs toughness and energy. Tough to call w/o MWP but Lakers in 6.

I can see the Clips upsetting Memphis. Depends how healthy CP3 is, he did sit out the last game of the season, which could have locked the homecourt if they won so it must have been semi-serious. I'm still pissed they got bumped to the 5th but I still got them over Memphis. Clippers in 6.

OKC over Dallas. Really not much to say here, Harden is back and Dallas isn't as good of a defensive team this year and their talents are just old. OKC in 5.

Spurs and Utah is tough, as deep as the Spurs are, they simply won't be able to throw enough body on Jefferson, Milsap and Favors. Splitter, Blair and Bonner sucks. Duncan is old. In the end, I think the Spurs will prevail in 5 games because they are pretty damn good (surprisingly) but probably be too beat up and too old (to those with playoff experience) and too young (no playoff experience) to win against their next opponent (LAC or MEM) so we'll see how rested the key guys are.

ulls vs. Sixers, how healthy is Rose? I mean really? It will all depend on how much he can go. They may have pulled off good wins w/o Rose but they simply cannot plow through the playoffs w/o him. Sixers has struggled the second half of the season so i give it to the Bulls in 5-6 games depending how healthy Rose is.

Celtics are old and Allen isn't that healthy (?) so it'll be tough for them to beat Atlanta. Although I must say, Boston have been impressive after the ASG. And seeing Atlanta play, their offense seems too stagnant and Teague just doesn't seem like a very goo PG. Too much score first mentality, at least that's what I get from him. I'll give it to Boston in 6 if no one else gets hurt.

Pacers is just too good this year and the Magic doesn't have Howard. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a clean sweep. Pacers in 4-5 games.

Heat is too good and too athletic, the big three is just as dominant as ever. Knicks were clicking there but it's still a 1-man show with Melo and Amare seems to have the same heart as TMac. BDiddy is just old and broken, I almost feel bad for him being on the court. Heat in 5-6 games. Heat in 7 if Lin returns. :lol:

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Duncan played significantly better the last month of the season. The Spurs ran the Lakers off the court 2 of 3 times, and the Lakers are bigger than Utah. For me the keys are Splitter and Diaw. No one expects them to score but if they can rebound and clog up the middle, the Spurs will be alright, even against Memphis.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Spurs beating the Lakers is no indication whatsoever of ho they'll do in the playoffs, didn't they beat the Lakers in the season last year too and got swept int he first round? Lakers are big but Bynum is a child and Pau is soft and that is coming from a Laker fan. Sometimes the two are more of a liability than an asset. See Bynum being benched when they won against OKC?

Duncan is still good but he is old, you'll never know how he'll play in the playoffs. He has great experience but his back-up don't and lets be honest, Blair and Splitter hasn't turned out/developed the way they had hoped. I see it being tougher than you think.

We all know what we can get from Parker, Manu and Duncan but Jeffersons been a beast this last month too and one key thing for him, he is actually healthy. Millsap is as cunning as ever is just a threat no matter how you look at it. I think it'll all falls on their PG. Harris has sucked the past few seasons. He's been scoring a lot more lately for Utah but I don't know if he can keep it up. His back-up PG isn't any better even on Harris' bad day. We shall see.

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    actually, sit down stevie, i'm liking the spurs this year, too. i think they know it's their last shot. and they have the maturity to know what that means. and enough physical ability that, if they play with focus, they can make it happen. OKC just doesn't seem like they have a core yet, they've got a lot of talent, but there doesn't seem to be that championship focus. of course, that could be colored by having watched that last laker game. lakers? unless they really pull it together, they'll be second-rounders. OTOH, with kobe, pau and bynum, anything is possible.

14. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

The Bobcats did it!
    Worst team in NBA history
    Has there ever been a team in the NHL, MLB, or NFL with .106 winning %?

15. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I think Splitter is rounding into form. He's surprising me. The Dancing Bear is surprising me in a negative way. Don't forget Diaw. He's been doing a great job defending bigger players. I expect Utah to dominate down low. But they won't be able to hold down the 1s, 2s, 3s the Spurs will run at them. That's the difference this year. The depth. The 3 point shooting.

It may go 7, but I doubt it.

You're just a hater RFX!

Of course I hate the Lakers so fair is fair :)