1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Its amazing how closely related the Dolan and Buss families are.

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Even MSG is very difficult to really mess up. The venue, the teams and the channel are such cash cows that even guitar jimmy would have to really work hard at truly destroying it.

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Buss gets championships though... just saying. Any time you get to trade Kwame for Pau and get two chips got to mean good GM no matter how you look at it.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

That was Kupchack. Just from a Father/Son, I ran this well/You took over and started fucking things up dynamic they are oddly similar.

5. edmorel

I'd kill for a Melo for Pau trade.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Whoever the hell is running the show, the Lakers still won 5 chips in the past 13 years. The Knicks has made the playoffs once in the past 5 years? Which is weird because NY could usually buy their championships (ie: Yankees) but for some reason the Knicks just can't put it together.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Lakers would have gladly given the Knicks Walton for Melo.

8. edmorel

Done. I'll send the paperwork over later today.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'd actually enjoy seeing that experiment. I wonder how long it would take for Kobe to punch Melo.

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

Thanks for the back-story. I didn't know the familial/business relationships.

Except Buss is apparently smart enough to hire good people, at least good enough to bring championships.

Dream on, Ed.

Interesting thought. At least Walton would do no harm.

I'd give it 5 minutes.

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Howard's agent now saying that Dwight will test free agency regardless of what team he gets traded to. What a dumbass. If you were insisting on becoming a free agent, why'd you sign that stupid extension with the Magic then demand a trade? Now he's hurting his trade value by waffling on signing extensions. Make up your damn mind about something.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    it's hard to know what's going on, particularly in these days of instant media. funny line in our story this morning about the bynum situation ... turned out both he and his agent were fishing together, so whatever website popped up the speculation was basing it on .... a fishing expedition? that happens in a lot of media these days, but particularly sports. i think it's the jock radio mentality, you can say whatever you want, and the more outrageous the better, because nobody really takes it all that seriously anyway.

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Knicks' Felton says he's better than Lin
    It's all worth reading, but here is my favorite - he's practically channeling edmorel:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  14. Harbin

Harbin Senior member

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. edmorel

Funny thing is, in a way he is right. On paper, the Knicks frontline should be enough to carry them to a conference final, even if the rest of the team consists of journeymen and past their prime veterans. Unfortunately, the game is not played on paper.

ESPN.com has a good piece on the Jeremy Lin saga, six sides of the story, which shows you that if the Knicks have success, it will be in spite of themselves, not because of them.

BTW, Felton's feelings are managements feelings. They looked at the success Lin had over 25 games running the team and decided it was too small a sample size to take on a contract that was a pittance by their standards. Yet, after a season that saw the team 2 games over 500 and get 1 (barely) playoff win, they feel that by adding Felton and a couple of pre-retirees, they are now contenders :confused:

17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

18. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I don't understand. Why wouldn't he want Lin back though? If it's for the betterment of the team, why keep him from staying?

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Because its not for the betterment of Carmelo Anthony. The reality is, numbers wise, Felton and Kidd will equal or improve on Lin's output. And now he doesn't have to worry about any of the spotlight being taken off him.

20. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

If true, that sounds awfully short-sighted and downright selfish if you ask me. This is basketball, not tennis. The focus should be on the team and not the individual. :confused:

Then again, maybe there are just some things we aren't privy to. Maybe there's a justifiable reason Melo doesn't like Lin. He might have hurt his feelings or a misunderstanding took place at practice idk. Either way, Melo's almost 30. Shunning someone on the team in order to get more attention just comes off very junior high bball.