1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

:confused:

ok so you obviously did not see him play the 25 games so I'll leave you with your enlightened view.

2. jet

jet Senior member

No you are right, he is world class.

3. edmorel

So again, you are saying you did not see him play, that he is garbage and only world class guards are worth 8 mln a year.

4. jet

jet Senior member

Have you ever considered a career as a sports analyst?

5. edmorel

Sorry Lin left you so butthurt, I'll let you be.

6. jet

jet Senior member

Please, continue to fellate Lin by all means.

I'm surprised you were able to type.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The best part:
    Right...because the Knicks are one piece away from a championship :lol:

The whole thing from Smith is completely absurd. Sure, Lin *could* have found a way to stay on the Knicks, but they told him to go shopping and he did. He found someone willing to pay him a ton of extra money, and he'd be stupid not to make the Knicks match. Whether he "deserves" it or not is totally irrelevant, the Rockets made that decision, not Lin.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/48033/jeremy-lins-contract-in-perspective

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...financial-sense-for-the-knicks/?smid=tw-share

If you calculate wins by point guards and divide by salary you can see that each extra win a pg causes his teammates is worth about $1.2 mill for a team. I forget which espn article but there was one where a guy did regression analysis to eliminate low sample size bias and found that even then Lin would be an above average top 10 to 20 pg and those guys as a group earn about $10 mill a year. So at $8 mill Lin is still worth his salary. Bring in merchandise sales, ticket sales, increased viewership and thus advertising, the stretch provision, and the fact that he is a valuable tradable asset there's no way that an extra $5 mill in the third year of his contract was the logical reason not sign him (stretch provision eliminates any argument of luxury tax and so does the overpaid contracts of the top two players)

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

In the vid, Stephen A Smith said that by the time Lin develops to be good, Melo and Amare might be out of their prime. So yeah, get Kidd & Felton because those guys are on their prime now? :lol:

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Lol. Woodson was talking about how every championship team in the past decade an a half was won by veterans. Right so that means you should get all the old people and you'll be able to get a championship right?

Kinda sucks for Kidd cuz the impression I got was he signed with the Knicks cuz Lin would be there.

Also Felton is way overpaid. Literally makes no sense to me

11. edmorel

I like how everyone has given Woodie a free pass on destroying Fields and Douglass's confidence/game, playing Shumpert garbage minutes and playing Smith starter minutes, even when he was shooting 3-17 or something. My only hope is that in 3 years, when the team gets blown up, that we don't go after another high priced veteran or veterans that had their best years elsewhere.

12. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

I will give you that his "asian"-ness probably has something to do with at least SOME of it. I won't deny that race doesn't factor in here.
    However, i don't see anything about how Tim Tebow should defend himself over some of the stuff said about him either ;)

I'd also say that there are a lot of "christian" athletes who aren't who they claim to be

we're not saying he's "world class" but at the LEAST middle of the road

I like how Kidd moved all his shit to "mentor" Lin and then the dude leaves.

13. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

I knew the melo trade would ruin any chance of the knicks becoming something, dude sabotages everyone he doesn't like, and ed is spot on with his analysis i couldn't agree more, I am a long suffering knicks fan for over 20 years, but this might have been worse than hiring scott layden.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Yeah, I wouldn't go THAT far.

15. 13k

13k Senior member

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ght-howard-traded-ready-sign-lakers-extension

In short D12 would resign with Lakers if traded. JUST FUCKING DO IT ALREADY :slayer:

From RealGM.com:
    [quote RealGM.com]Howard has always been impressed with the Lakers’ winning tradition and intrigued with the off-court opportunities that come with playing in Los Angeles.

Questions about Howard's role with the team, however, became an early concern for the three-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year. Howard has since moved on from those concerns and is confident he will be an integral part of a team that will have a chance to compete immediately for a championship, according to sources that spoke with RealGM.

The Lakers are reportedly ready to make the trade, but first need assurance from Howard that he will commit to the team long-term. Sources say Howard is “excited” about the opportunity to play for the Lakers and will re-sign with the team when his contract expires at the end of the 2012-13 season.
    [/quote]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  16. thinman

thinman Senior member

IMO, this is the best analysis of the situation. Basketball is, first and foremost, a business. Jeremy Lin has every right to try to maximize his value during his playing career and if that means commanding the highest salary he can, then that's his prerogative. Likewise, it's Dolan's job to maximize earnings for the owners of the Knicks. If he doesn't think Jeremy Lin is a good investment, given what Lin has shown so far, he is free to let Lin walk to Houston.

However, my assessment of Lin's value differs from Dolan's apparent opinion. Lin has not had enough great games to convince people that he will definitely become a star, but I think that based solely on what he has done, his potential as a player make it worth the risk of matching Houston's offer. Furthermore, the marketing opportunities (and not just in the Asian community, but the nationwide buzz he created around the Knicks) make the financial risk minimal. The article quoted above says that the three huge contracts already carried by the Knicks (Melo, Amare, and Chandler) make it financially imprudent to match Lin's offer. If that's the case, my approach would be to begin re-building the team by matching Houston's offer to Lin and, if Lin becomes a star in the next year or two, actively working to trade Melo and perhaps Amare and Chandler, too (It's no secret that I've never been a fan of Melo). If Lin fails, dump his contract in a trade sometime before or during year 3. Either way, the financial risk could be minimized.

So it appears to me that Dolan let Lin walk out of sheer spite, which is a foolish and ultimately harmful way to do business. Dolan also should have muzzled his employees so they would not sent out word that the Knicks would match Houston's offer, since there was obviously a chance they would let Lin leave. The Knicks have needlessly created a PR issue and made it look like the franchise is disorganized and mismanaged.

17. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Knicks have been disorganized and mismanaged for years, and this episode is just another incident in a long line of failures.
    But that is only one way to look at it. You can also look at things from a broader perspective.
    Charles Dolan has built a huge and successful empire in Cablevision and he and his shareholders have something worth preserving. But he has a problem. He has an idiot son named Jim. The problem is that while Charles and you and I know that Jim is an idiot, Jim does not know this. Jim thinks Jim is a businessman like his father. Charles, being a good father wants to be kind to his idiot son and give him something to do. But Charles is kind, not stupid. He is not going to let his idiot son wreck Cablevision just because he loves him. Instead, he gives Jim MSG to play with, which Jim can screw up to his heart's content without causing too much damage to the real business. And that explains Isaiah Thomas and Carmello Anthony.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  18. Harbin

Harbin Senior member

Dwight willing to resign with Lakers now lol ...