Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

That is true. But let's be honest, Amare is not what he was when he played for the Suns. Back then he was the second coming of Shawn Kemp and was Blake Griffin before Balke Griffin was Blake Griffin.

He is now more a pop and shoot PF and has great range. Lin loves to be aggressive and get those layups. Either the big switching to help has to be quick or Lin can kick it to Amare for 15-18 ft jumpshot over the much smaller guard. This will still be a deadly p-n-r. And it looks like Lin has done well with Tyson with the p-n-r, where Tyson is the aggressor and Lin stays up top to pop j's.

D'Antoni found his savior in Lin.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

well instead of SF they spend all their time playing ball and ballin

3. zeusbheld

zeusbheld Active Member

tell you what, 'll decline your generous offer and stick with "not great" instead of "isn't a very good ball player." maybe it's just a question of semantics but to my eye "isn't a very good ball player" means you'd trade him for warm bodies to cut in order to generate cap room, or someone who you'd swap for Najera and think you won the trade. i actually do think he's a very good ball player, but i wonder if he's one of those whose style of play all but guarantees you don't win anything.

ps you're misinterpreting "few days ago;" as i said i missed about a week. i've had the NBA league pass since the beginning of the season, and use it. why is it you're forced to watch? your job? or is it like when there's a car accident and you can't look away (i'm thinking Knucks in particular here).

4. zeusbheld

zeusbheld Active Member

not exactly small, but not exactly towering either. except maybe standing next to Barea. to my eye Rubio doesn't really look that quick, although maybe that means he's also "deceptively quick".

5. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Very similar to "Nash quickness". Just smart bball IQ to get by defenders.

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

The upside is that maybe, just maybe, he won't be bankrupt at 42 years old like most NBAers.

7. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

It's also crazy because he signed a lifetime endorsement with Reebok so you would think he'd be set for life but nope. Really not sure if I should feel bad for him though.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/1/31/2761217/the-tragedy-of-allen-iverson

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I was so thankful to God for the way the NYC sports fans seemingly forgot about the Giants winning the SuperBowl and mass jumped onto the Jeremy Lin bandwagon in a New York Minute.

I was relieved how it took my neighbors/co-workers/local friends less than 3 days from ragging on me (for being a boston sports fan) to bringing up Jeremy Lin puns/stories galore.

"YOOO Dr. Lin Medicine Man!!!! Just like you DOC!"

in all seriousness though... I'm FULLY on the lin bandwagon. I bought one of my neighbors a Lin Knicks t-shirt and he almost choked up out of gratitude.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^waitlist on Lin's jersey at nba.com is like months

that was a pretty badly written article

it's sad tho. sadder than TO

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Were these starter minutes or minutes in garbage time? It seems improbable to me that Lin could have improved that much in one year. A more plausible explanation is that he is getting a full and fair opportunity to prove himself (albeit only after the three guys ahead of him on the depth chart proved to be terrible), and is making the most of his opportunity. Being in a system that accentuates his strengths helps as well.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

lmao...i never realized this until you said it, but all the Giant fans i know were insufferable on post-SB monday, but now it's like they forgot!! you are so right

13. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

to be fair to ffloyd, he thought when people were talking about magic johnson and the black mamba, he thought they were talking about his wang.

14. moffy

moffy Senior member

It's a combination of minutes and system. D'Antoni's system is a gold mine for any pure point guard. Compare Nash in Phoenix (they still use D'Antoni's system) to Nash in Dallas. Also Ray Felton played the best basketball of his career during the half year he spent as a Knick last year. D'Antoni's system asks for the point guard to essentially make every play. That's why it breaks down when Carmelo plays because the ball is no longer in the hands of the point guard since Carmelo almost exclusively plays in isolation.

And to be fair, he is going to regress at least a little bit. There's no way a player who has never played like this before in his career can continue at a 27 pt/8 ast/51 fg%/40 mpg pace for the whole season. Especially when the ball is going to be in Melo's hands half the time when he comes back, forcing Lin to play off the ball.

Overall I think Lin is a solid player in the right system. I'm not sold on him being the second coming just yet.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

JEREMY MOTHERFUCKIN LIN

MOTHERFUCKIN SHUMPERT owning calderon all day

fucking ownage in the fourth quarter

i love this team so much