NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

So I guess you are saying in a normal year he would have remained buried and overlooked and never gotten a chance, and perhaps given up pro basketball due to the traditions of scout/evaluation ignorance. That doesn't detract from his game (legit NBA-level starter PG)

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

am I crazy or maybe we should wait more than 4 games before crowning lin?

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Still, point remains true. Teams will figure him out and he'll have to adjust, if he can, great, if he cant...

The run is impressive, but hardly enough to crown a new star.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

:lol::crackup::embar::crackup::lol:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Wall's reaction is the best

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Seems like you've been saying this since the 2nd game. Then the Laker tried to bully him and he scores a career high. He isn't unstoppable but he's ballin right now, just give him that. And as most said, Melo returning will pretty much stop his momentum. He's averaging close to 20 shots per game right now but when Amare & Melo returns that will get cut immensely, likely by half. But dude can ball and he'll stay the Knicks starting PG so stop it with the "adjust this" to be great theory. Lins ability isn't something these player haven't encountered before, dude doesn't have some unknown oriental magic that is a mystery to all. He simply runs DAntonis offense well like Nash did and it resulted in wins.

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Certainly not trying to take anything away from him. It's just one of those interesting effects of the shortened season. We got five Lin games in a week, made the whole thing a lot more intense/fun.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Chill brutha. I watched him against Minnesota and they had no answer for him. He drove at will and outplayed Rubio. Just saying... if the AZN sensation was BLK he would be getting 1/8 of the attention.

I agree, Melo and Amare will change the dynamics, and like always, Melo will fuck it up. Look how great Denver play w/o him.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Where the hell in your post that I quoted that you mentioned or even implied that he is only getting this hype because he is Asian? All I kept reading were that "they'll figure him out on defense" and "he can't use his left hand so he isn't a PG". Dude is doing something right, just let it flow give him his 15 minutes. We get it, he isn't a Magic or MJ reincarnation. You'll get your chance to say "I told you so" once the Knicks suffers their first loss with him in the starting line-up.

To be honest, yeah he is getting a bit more attention because he is Asian and there is nothing wrong with that really. Outside of Yao, there hasn't been any relevant Asian bball players but for him to be doing this in such a huge market in NY and actually lead them to win 5 games and putting the team back to the playoff picture w/o Amare & Melo, that is worth the story and hype. Not to mention that dude was sent to the D-League 4 times, didn't even make the Rockets roster before being cut and was living on his bros and Landry Fields couch, there is certainly something to talk about there.

I believe that if a black guy like Shumpert led the Knicks to this kind of run and produce big numbers and had the same background, it'll still get big news and bandwagon will be the same. It's NY for gods sake and the Knicks has sucked for years and this year was just as bad before DAntoni got desperate and put Lin in there.

The guy is cool, i'm not exactly a big fan of his but have heard of him from his Harvard days and when he got drafted with the Warriors. I think he is doing big things right now and knows how to play ball well. I still wish I grabbed him off the FA list in the fantasy league.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm not saying there is anything wrong at all. He's doing great, but being AZN spices up the story and that translates to more lines of copy. He's getting hype for performances but being AZN increases it.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

And I'm saying don't rain on the mans parade. Let that dude cook.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

great strawman. nobody is arguing that being asian isn't spicing up the story. you keep saying it like it's some great insight

14. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

That was me based on the games through Utah. Then I watched his highlights against LA and I think I saw him use his left twice. I am a Knicks fan and really want him to succeed. Certainly, the results so far have been impressive, and results are what matters, but when I watch the youtube videos, it is hard to see what makes him is so good.
    I am going to the game v. the Nets next week, so I will get to see for myself and also find out whether D.Williams figures Lin out for their second meeting. Since Lin's breakout game was against the Nets, I am pretty sure DWill be all over this. Looking forward to it.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

He has good court vision and aren't too selfish. There are cases where he could/should have passed the ball and he has a few too many TOs but so far a W is a W. He can dish the ball for sure though and he just works in DAntonis system well. If he was with any other coach, I don't know if he'll be as effective.

He also has a very quick first step, it just takes defenders by surprise for some reason. It looks slow though, it's no Wetsbrook drive-by and it doesn't seem unorthodox but it works. Sneaky might be the best word to describe it. He also finishes under the rim well, that's why he is such a good comparison to Nash. Not too athletic but clever enough to finish int he paint w/o doing a teardrop. He also draws defenders well and either split the defense or find the open man.

He can also shoot so he is a threat if you leave him wide open.

Does the Knicks still play Boston this year? I'd like to see how Garnett bullies Lin around. Remember what he does to all the smaller Euro dudes like Calderon? I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to pull the same BS with Lin.