NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

too crazy, i can't handle it.

i always liked griffin since his first year, great showmanship.

he bringing donkey kong back

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    that was a helluva game. beside the griffin dunk (like, besides god ...), there were those four insane 3s in 50 seconds at the end of hte first half, just when OKC cut the lead to 6. maybe even as impressive was cp3 going all kobe to close when everyone else started wearing out. he seemed to just play with those guys, dribbling the clock out then somehow getting his shot right where he wanted it and icing it. fun team.

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Clips made it rain before the half. It was insane. Lead was in single digits and then in less than a minute, it was back up to 18. Game had everything, good thing OKC didn't get hot in the end or else that could have been a nail-biter.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the thing with OKC though... is that Westbrook had a good game... an excellent game... as a 2 guard.

westbrook is dwane wade 2.0.... maybe the effort turning him into a point guard is in vain

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Blake Griffin, overrated, but goddam he dunked Perkins.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I lol'ed at this - Hollinger on the Knicks:

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

Lakers destroying Charlotte.

8. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

Blasphemy.

Maybe for you we all look the same :foo:

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^now thats reverse racism. :teach:

lets compare stats:
    Russel Westbrook: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/westbru01.html
    Dwane Wade: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wadedw01.html

if westbrook was in the 2 guard position on that team he'd easily average 5 more points. if he was the primary scorer on a team (as a 2 guard without durrant) he'd probably challenge for highest average points scored in the league. Other than the scoring averages (remember the OKC team is loaded offensively -Westbrook has to take less shots) the numbers are eerily similar.

I remember dwane wade being basically forced to try out being a "point guard" for the 1st two years of his career in Miami... before Heat management wised up and centered the offense around him.

They're both 6-3 slashing guards who were willing to use both their extra-ordinary athleticism and no-fear ways to score.

I'm not saying that OKC would be better off trading Durrant, thats just stupid - but that offense would be better if they just decided to move Westbrook to the 2 guard and get a proper point guard. OKC looks great in the open court flowing games... but playoff basketball ends up being half court sets... and just like last year the thunder end up with stagnant offense when its slows down forcing them into low percentage shots (basically durrant spot up shots, or westbrook spazzing out and forcing up a bad shot or barreling into the lane for a crazy shot).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i think the idea that griffin is over-rated is only even remotely possible because he's been so highly praised that nobody could live up to it. i've watched a half-dozen clip games this year and griffin's game has improved immensely since last year. the guy is not just a dunkzilla. he's got a varied offensive game and has really stepped up his jump shot. defensively, he's still a work in progress, but this is his SECOND YEAR. i think the guy's going to be a monster*
    *usual proviso's included: that he stays hungry and stays healthy ... the last is the biggest question, considering how high he flies and how long he stays up. to quote the sage Stu Lantz "Nobody wins an argument with Mr. Floor."

11. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Kobe is having a good season 30PPG with a .455FG%, 6.1 RPG, 5.4, APG,...
    He looks to still have a good 3-5 years left.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

not at this pace. last night was the first game he's played less than 30 minutes. he's been up in the 40s lately. i hope brown is right about the need for getting flow early as opposed to grinding out his stars.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Exactly. He had a bunch of holes last season and many still. Great talent, but would take Kevin Love over him in a second.

14. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

:nodding:

15. zeusbheld

zeusbheld Active Member

Love's already demonstrated that he's all about not just getting better at what he does, but training smart and adding new dimensions to his game. when Vince Carter was coming up a lot of Carolina fans touted him as the next MJ but while he had tremendous athleticism (he's still pretty athletic for an old fart) he just didn't have that mentality, that drive to not just improve what he's' good at but to add entirely new dimensions to his game (like MJ). i'm not yet convinced that Griffin has that drive either.