NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

HAHA wth happened!!? no sound

griffin being griffin

fisher being fisher

WHAT HAPPENED??

why mcroberts so mad

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. jet

jet Persian Bro

Fuck yes.

3. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

He'll get a double double every night no matter what team he plays on, but let's be real, his numbers are crazy inflated by the shittiness of Minnesota.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

This really boggles my fucking mind. Quick Q to the bball fans: Who's the last guy that you could remember who routinely put up 30/10, 20/20, and averages 25/15 per game and WASN'T one of the highest paid players in the league?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

well, being white doesn't help, though he has high ball iq and is scrappy.

in all seriousness, he is an absolute beast, improving on defense and I don't see how he isn't a better player than someone like dwight howard

6. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

I don't figure it either, unless they're trying to save money for Rubio down the line.

But it works out better for him.

In three years when the Wolves still suck he can just opt out and sign another max deal.

7. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

This is pre-lockout thinking. The Twolves were smart to give him that deal. Love's numbers are guady, but he's essentially the rich man's David Lee. If Kevin Love is your best player, you're in the lottery, period.

If you can't single-handedly guarantee a team 25 wins, you aren't worthy of max money.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^you're out of your mind. he is way better than lee and more versatile than all but maybe 5-7 players in the nba. they have a better record than the knicks so i guess stoudemire and anthony are scrubs too

9. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

The knicks are a hot fuckign mess, but both Melo and Stoudemire are capabel of putting a team on their back and willing it to a playoff victory. We simply haven't seen that from Love. He'sthe clasic great stats on a bad team player...ala Lee during his Knicks tenure. Granted, Love is a FAAAAAR better player than Lee, but his worth is inflated by playing on a bad team.

If we held a draft of the every NBA player and erased their salaries, do you think Love is one of the first 10 players selected? First 15?

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

That is completely idiotic. So you're telling me he'd have a MORE difficult time playing on a team where there were actually legitimate options to take the pressure off him?

Yes to the bolded

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Steve, is that you? What the hell? David Lee isn't going to hit a deep 3 for your team to win at buzzer beater. You can't even compare the 2. You are comparing an 25/14 guy who can shoot the deep 3 to a 19/10 guy who can't shoot free throws? Come on now.

Another dumb and stupid statement but I'll play along. Give me 15 guys you would take over Love today!
    Keep in mind, it is hard to make a winning franchise w/o a good big man.

Lebron, Wade, KD, Rose, Dwight... ok understandable.
    Melo? Really questionable with what we are seeing in NY but he did well in Denver so ok.
    Kobe? He's good for 2-3 more years so I'll say I wouldn't start a franchise with him.
    Same can be said with Dirk and Pau.
    CP3? DWill? You got have bigs to surround these guys.
    I feel the NBA is filled with good PGs right now, not great but you can have a solid team with some good PGs out there, heck the Lakers did with with Fisher for 5 rings.
    Blake Griffin? Nah, I'll take Love over him, this guys go to move is to still bulldoze everyone or flop to get the foul.
    Granger? Gay? Jefferson? Nah, Love > any of those guys.

Right there, keep in mind we are talking today and not in their primes because it would be stupid to compare Love to Kobe, Dirk and Duncans younger years. You got to think of today. Reset all the teams and have a draft and you think Love will be picked later than 15 in starting a franchise? You are fucking insane.

12. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I pulled the number 15 out of the air. Let's see who I'd actually take before Love:

Better players:

Lebron
    Rose
    Durant
    Paul
    Amare
    Melo
    Gasol
    Howard
    Bynum
    D Williams
    Aldridge

Higher Ceiling:

Wall
    Rubio
    Westbrook

Sells Tickets:
    Griffin

Assuming that we're signing these guys for 5 year cdontracts, I'd build a team around any of these guys before Love. I could also see you picking Love ahead of a handful of them. Notice I didn't include any of the aging players who are currently better than Love, like Dirk, Kobe and Wade? or headcases who might be better like Ellis or Cousins? He's an elite talent, but in the post-lockout league, that's not an automatic max contract.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

14. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I'm telling you that his scoring and rebounding stats would be less impressive if he had teamates who could score or rebound.

15. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I'm not sure he's as good as Aldridge. He's definitely better than Griffin, but he has a lower ceiling, and Griffin sells tickets and merchandise.