NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the amnesty rules are that any team under the salary cap can bid for him and the winning bid is the salary. the team that waives him pays the difference (but has amnesty from his salary from the salary cap and luxury tax).

if there are no bids then he becomes a unrestricted free agent.

so far the lakers are over the salary cap and can't make a bid. I don't think billups will go with out any bids... he's stated if the winning bidder is not a team of his liking then he'll "retire".

even the amnesty rule makes the players look like plantation workers... because if they want to earn an NBA paycheck then they have to be bid on like cattle if the original owners don't want him anymore, and they have to play for their new "owners" if there's even a $1.00 "winning" bid.

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Are the Heat under the cap? Somebody who is should bid a dollar just to keep other teams from getting him, maybe even then trying to swing a trade to an over the cap team.

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

not sure. they had money but no one knows how much Battier's deal was for. but Chalmers might not sign his qualifying offer and/or they could amnesty Mike Miller. so they very likely could. however, their real need is a center, so if they found themselves with cap space they'll probably go after DeAndre Jordan or Dalembert. best case scenario is that they get one of those guys and Chauncey agrees to sign for league minimum and chase another ring.

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

one more thing - I don't get the Odom trade. first, I get that LO is expendable, but he's a trade asset. isn't that exactly what you need?! unless NO or Orlando said they would prefer to get a trade exception over Odom, which I don't know how that's possible. second, why trade him with a sweetheart deal to Dallas of all places? you're gonna have to beat them in the playoffs with a motivated Odom now.

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

my conspiracy guess is that the ownership from both the lakers and dallas were so pissed off about what happened with the NBA/Stern nullifying the cp3-lakers trade that they decided to work together to acquire dwight howard and chris paul (where dwight howard goes to the lakers and CP3 goes to the Mavs).

CP3 to the mavs makes perfect sense with dirk, and howard is what the lakers wanted all along.

6. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Don't know if you're joking or not, but Cuban helping to improve a contender in his own conference is pretty far fetched to me. Cuban spoke out in favor of blocking the Paul trade.

7. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

You don't see that very often.

8. thinman

thinman Senior member

This is a good point that I hadn't considered. Seen in isolation, the Odom trade makes no sense for LA because they aren't getting enough for him. Seen as part of a larger deal for Howard...hmmmm...intriguing.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

Yeah, I chuckled when I read that. A motivated Lamar Odom still plays at half-speed.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

the trade exception to trade for dwight is the only reason i can see why they'd do it

11. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

David West going to Pacers, not Celtics. 2yr / $20 million.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

good news for Heat fans. keep him out of Ainge's grubby clutches

13. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

Celts sign Jeff Green, so I guess they are standing pat.

Magic want Bynum & Gasol for Howard. Lakers should jump on that and sign Deron in summer.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

14. moffy

moffy Senior member

With what cap space? They're going to have to absorb Turkoglu's contract in order to get Dwight. And they won't be able to sign-and-trade for Deron because they have no assets to trade if both Bynum and Gasol are shipped.

So basically, if they trade for any superstar player, they become a two-man team (albeit a very good two-man team) with a bunch of mediocre role players and no cap flexibilty until 2015.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

15. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

Why have to take back Hedo? I thought Magic amnestied Arenas. Shouldn't they be able to take both Gasol and Bynum's contracts?

Just out of curiosity, is it legal to trade for Turkoglu's contract and then amnesty him?