NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

LOOOOOL

as annoying as you Laker fans can be, i do feel bad for you. that veto was straight up bullshit.

2. moffy

moffy Senior member

i really shouldn't have printed all those Cajun Khloe shirts.

3. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

God, with her head superimposed over the body of a crawdad? Priceless.

4. thinman

thinman Senior member

Yeah, if the Lakers traded Gasol and Odom for CP3, who would get a rebound when Bynum gets his annual knee injury?

On the other hand, CP3 plus Okafor to LA would make a lot of sense, even if it meant giving up Gasol, Odom and Bynum. How would the Lakers manage to get Howard if they trade Gasol and Odom for CP3? The only other player with enough value would be Kobe.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

6. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Not necessarily. I think the Gasol-to-LA trade proved that teams can be suckered into lower salaries, pessimistic projections, laughable upsides, and general stupidity. I Bynum/a few others/picks for not having to pay DH's contract for a team already close or over the luxury limit? And considering the new luxury tax rules, it might be harder for a small-market team to come up with that kind of capital.

It's all speculation but there's no f'ing way the Lakers weren't going to two-step this deal. It would have taken another multi-team trade but I don't see getting DH as improbable or impossible as some.

7. moffy

moffy Senior member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...dan_gilbert_email_lakers_hornets_trade_120811

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.
    This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.
    Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.
    I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.
    I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.
    When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?
    Please advise….

Dan G.

8. 13k

13k Senior member

^^^ Literaly about to post that. What a cockblock. Just cuz he's sour he didnt make the decision to trade LeBron while he still had him doesn't mean others should pay from learning from his mistake.

9. moffy

moffy Senior member

hopefully the original letter wasn't in comic sans this time.

10. venessian

venessian Senior member

Sure, but the reaction is to the only thing that seemed certain at the time. A possible Howard trade was still speculative, and if that did not happen the Gasol/Odom for CP3 trade was not good imo.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Are you serious? Those 3 for CP3 and Okafor? That would be crazy. You don't ever trade 2 bigs for 1 small, imo; trading 3 bigs for a small and a PF would be nuts. The lineup would be PG Paul, SG Bryant, SF Artest, PF Okafor, and C...Theo Ratliff???
    That letter is insane. Gilbert is totally nuts. But it does prove the NBA lied when they said the owners did NOT approach them asking to block the trade.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

11. 13k

13k Senior member

12. venessian

venessian Senior member

Just read that...what a crazy day.

But is Dwight + Turkoglu's contract for Brook Lopez and 2 NJ first-round picks the best the Magic can do?

13. moffy

moffy Senior member

makes sense for dwight. if you can't play with paul, might as well play with d-will.

14. venessian

venessian Senior member

Pretty funny tweets from players re: CP3, Gilbert, etc....

TheRealTWill Terrence Williams
    It's krazy @CP3 is not waking up a laker and it's dumb I'm not able to run that pick and roll with gasol smh sad disappointing day 4 NBA

jrich23 Jason Richardson
    RT @LyleHoneyman: @jrich23 No idea what he's thinking, players won't want to go play for an owner like him (I totally agree)

dgranger33 Danny Granger
    Due to the sabotaging of the LA/NO trade by david stern, and following in the footsteps of my athlete brethern Metta World Peace and Chad Ochocinco, I'm changing my last name to "Stern's Bi#&h" #effectiveimmediately :lol:

jrich23 Jason Richardson
    Once again Buck Nasty a.k.a Dan Gilbert is letting his wrath being felt by being the main voice in the CP trade block.

15. venessian

venessian Senior member

For Dwight sure, but for Orlando? I’d think they would rather have Bynum, etc, than Lopez + 2 picks.