NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    artest is a tough one. he's a guy who has always been the alpha dog on his teams, but on the lakers he's, at best, the third option. that can be a good thing. at this stage in his career, ron-ron has the makings of a great role player ... a guy who can play lockdown defense and hit the spot-up jumper when its available. I think for the last two years he's mostly done the first fairly consistently (well, consistently for metta world peace is a relative term). but the offensive end has never come around. it could be that the triangle was just too much for him. i have a friend who is veryclose to the team and he says that even for an athlete, artest is somewhat learning impaired. to me, this fits, as he always seemed to be wondering where he was supposed to be and second-guessing himself. it'll be interesting to see what he does under Brown, with what promises to be a much more straightforward system. i really don't see him being cut this year, not when there's walton's contract on the table. impossible as it may seem, i believe they're making relatively even money, though artest's contract is for more years. poor luke is just too damaged physically. i'm afraid his career ended before last season began.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

If you're not a big guys, you just can't score consistently enough with Kobe in your team, simple as that. He'll take majority of the shots outside the paint and a few inside. I think they still expected more points from Artest but he got too complacent taking outside shots at times.

3. venessian

venessian Senior member

As I understand it though, that added year on Artest's contract is the problem.
    Walton's contract ends the year the tax goes up so no real problem, whereas Ron's last year is the first year of the new super lux tax and represents a significant hit.

Then again, if Dr. Buss can swing it I'd much prefer a super-taxed starting MWP over a non-super-taxed bench-warming Walton.

MWP really did seem to struggle with the triangle. Who knows, perhaps under Brown he and Lamar will really be able to free-flow more and become more consistently engaged in the offense. I think Quin Snyder is a great addition to the Lakers and perhaps he'll really help MWP out.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

yeah, i was a big phil fan, but i am kind of intrigued what could happen when you get kobe lamar and gasol running the floor. i've been watching some of that "old school nba" on teh nba channel, and it's really remarkable how much faster and looser the game was in the 90s.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

one benefit of the Lakers hiring Mike Brown is that it gives Kobe a chance to be the first player-coach since Russell to win an NBA championship :D

6. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

:lol: haha... Mike Brown

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

+1

8. thinman

thinman Senior member

+1. Mike Brown brings the Cavs offense to LA: hand the ball to your star and the rest of the team stands around watching.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i'm not as skeptical of brown as i once was. thinking about it, what else did he have in cleveland but lebron? it'll be interesting to see what he can do with a team with better second and third options (which is to say, any at all).

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

At one point, Carlos Boozer and Zydrunis Ilgauskas were reasonable 2nd and 3rd options. So was Mo Williams. Brown needs to show me something before I'll change my opinion.

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

He could have actually coached? I still can't forget that time in the playoffs during crunch time when he let his assistant draw the play and he stood outside of the huddle.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Side bet on this, RFX?

14. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

God, I hope so.

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

why? you really like the way gasol plays post?