NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. negusnegas

negusnegas Senior member

It appears few people seem to get the importance of quoting median and mean. The mean or average can be very misleading, because income distribution is likely very skewed. Median is a much more helpful figure, which is still pretty high at just above 2 million, but also is less than half of the average salary. This just seems like the league trying to undermine the players by making them seem like greedy and overpaid, which is a not so subtle derailment of the true motivations of the owners and the realities on the ground.

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i think the difference in salary between $5 million per year and $2 million per year would still be pretty hard to appreciate for most people.

3. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

We are the 99%

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Millionaire or not, it must still hurt to lose $2mil every two weeks.

:rotflmao: @ Arenas & Lewis in the list.

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

yes, but that does not mean we lack sympathy for the travails of the 1%. Well, actually, yes it does. in this case, though, it's a war between the .01%ers.

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

My perspective would be a lot different if this were a strike rather than a lockout. The players are getting paid whatever amount they are because the owners decided that was the market value. Now the owners are realizing that, by and large, they're too incompetent to be allowed to determine wages and they won't let the players work unless new rules are instituted to prevent the owners from acting like idiots. Add to that the fact that an anti-trust exemption is the only reason the league can behave like this, and you have a situation where I find it very difficult to feel at all sympathetic to the owners.

Now at the same time, the players are really screwing themselves hard by letting the season go. Their careers are not that long, and missing a whole season is something many of them will never be able to make up from having a slightly better deal with the league. I understand why they don't want to just give in and get screwed by the owners, but it really might be the best decision they could make.

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The fact that Joe Johnson, Gilbert Arenas, and Rashard Lewis are on that list fully explains why the owners felt they needed to lockout the players. You could go a list another 20 players who are getting truly irrational amounts of money for their ability.

I totally didn't understand the Joe Johnson thing. He's demonstrated over and over that he's not going to carry a team in the playoffs. He went out of his way to bash the city of Atlanta. Nobody else was really bidding for him. The Hawks give him a max deal anyway. Perfect example of idiot owners.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

just to be clear: you were being ironic, right? granted, those three are ridiculously overpaid. but not one of them put a gun to the owner's head and demanded against the owner's better judgement. Well, arenas might have.

9. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

:D

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Actually no, I'm using it as an example of the owner's rampant stupidity. Read my first post, right above that one. Too many of the owners are morons, and the only way they felt they could get out of the consequences of their idiocy was this lockout. I'm not saying it's justified, just that their motives are pretty evident.

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I really suggest you check out ESPN's NBA Today podcast. Its the only one since May so not hard to find. Really really in-depth. In fact if you want just a primer that's not going to be it, TBH so it may be too deep for you.

It is worth mentioning that there are a fairly significant number of players making the league minimum. Granted, that's still a chunk of change but consider if you're a 25-year old dude who has spent his whole life playing basketball and you have no other discernible skills but aren't elite (which likely describes, you know, every guy making the league minimum) then this is likely never going to pull a paycheck this large again and you're only going to get it for a few years. So yeah, I'd be a little worried if I were them.

12. negusnegas

negusnegas Senior member

^exactly.

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Is it to early to start bagging on Kobe and the Lakers?

14. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Once we see painted nails pics, then you can start bagging.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

there's been none since june

also nba lockout is over whoooo

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011