NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i kind of agree, and if i thought that any economic tightening would result in lower ticket prices, i'd probably be more enthusiastic. still, it seems to me that the owners are making the classic mistake of believing they are the team. aside from mark cuban and jerry buss (well, depending on whomever jerry buss is dating at the time), i don't think any fans pay to watch the owners.

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Dude. . . any NBA player moving back in with his parents is doing so b/c he a). likes his parents and is saving a buck or two or b) is really, really bad with money and needs to get a clue.

That said, the most damning aspect of this whole lockout is how little anyone cares. News about the lockout is taking a back seat to. . . anything at all related to football, winter baseball, and realyl just about anything else. No one cares and that should really worry the NBA.

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

That player that moves in back with his parents is an extreme case but it is due to the lockout and that not all NBA players are millionaires as a response to the reply I quoted. Either way, it isn't just about millionaires versus billionaires because my guess is the players making millions are still in the minority if you count up all the nba players in the league. Should they be good with their money and make it last? Sure, but that goes for everyone and people who gets as much money as these players get as fast as they get it, I really could just imagine plenty of them going broke in an instant.

But it is true how sad the little publicity this lockout has been getting. There are plenty fans that cares, I just don't think they fear that it would become this bad that the whole season will be cancelled.

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

^This adds a new dimension to the situation. Thanks, Derek.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

What is the dispute? I understand that many owners have lost money because they have given huge contracts to journeyman players, and want to be protected from their own stupidity. Is there more?

7. Dakota rube

^Greed is in there somewhere, but yeah, you got most of it.

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

Love this, remember it like it was yesterday.

Lakers forever.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

actually, I think the average nba salary at this point (average mind you) is about $5 million, so they'd have to be VERY bad with money. I think the player you cited (and there are others like him), are kids who were just drafted and signed this year, so they have yet to receive a paycheck. Also, at least in Los Angeles, there has been on average an nba strike story every 2-3 days for the last couple of months. if people don't care, it's not because they are unaware of it.

10. Dakota rube

^In what's-his-name's defense, I just read the rookie minimum this year is a tad under $500K, so I can see how this is causing some financial difficulties...:crazy:

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

yes, well, it's been a long time since i had to struggle under such hardships. but i do remember the days! (no RSS)

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

$5mil for players in the starting 5 maybe? Just hard to imagine $5mil average considering there are about 400+ players in the NBA.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

I don't buy the financial struggle bullshit either.

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

yeah, they're probably the best-paid athletes in the world (to get a meaningful figure, you'd have to figure number of games played/number of players on a team/ etc). free market at work. what cracks me up is the owners, who are supposed to be these genius business men (genius enough to be able to afford to pay $300 to $400 million for the rights to a team), who can't seem to negotiate a workable payroll. most of the issues in the strike come down to the owners' inability to resist overpaying for players.