NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    IIRC, there are clauses that forbid certain things at certain times (vladimir radmonivich snowboarding, for example). but i don't really think the nba is in much of a position to be dictating too much ... that's a negotiation and for some players, those extracurriculars are worth a lot of money.

2. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Yao Ming retired [​IMG]
    I guess the repeated injuries finally broke his will to rehab for the millionth time.

3. thinman

thinman Senior member

Yao Ming retired [​IMG]
    I guess the repeated injuries finally broke his will to rehab for the millionth time.

What a sad story. He could have been good for many years and inspired a generation of Chinese basketball hopefuls. Heck, if Arvydas Sabonis made the HOF, why not Yao?

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Has there ever been a player in that 7'6" range that's been durable? Seems like foot problems are almost inevitable for anyone over a certain height.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

he could have [...] inspired a generation of Chinese basketball hopefuls
    Whoa there tiger...

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Has there ever been a player in that 7'6" range that's been durable? Seems like foot problems are almost inevitable for anyone over a certain height.
    I thought the same thing. The biggest human that I can think of with sustained NBA success is Shaq

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

Whoa there tiger...
    You edited out the key word from my post, "good". I intentionally avoided writing "great". Career averages of 19.0 ppg, 9.2 rpg, and 1.9 bpg do not make him the dominant player he was projected to be as the number one overall pick in the draft. He never gave the impression that he could take over a game anytime he wanted and he also never lead his team to a championship. Overall, he had a good, but not great, career.

8. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

The NBA obviously benefits to a certain amount from pulling in international stars and audiences. God only knows how many new eyeballs and jersey sales the Dream Teams generated overseas, and I believe China may now buy more jerseys than the US. But for individual teams concerned about winning...it's hard to justify your stars risking injury and having guaranteed wear and tear to play for any national team, whether US or Argentina (etc).

I seem to remember clauses in NFL contracts that allowed them to be fined if they got hurt playing other sports, playing in non-NFL games etc etc. Can't say that I've ever heard of such a thing in the NBA, and I have no idea if it'd be ok under the CBA or not. Maybe it'll show up in the new CBA once the lockout ends, guess we'll see.

I know with Manu he HAS to play with Argentina or his contract wouldn't allow him to play in the NBA at all.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

that was the second best thing i saw at the ESPY's.

with the first being Jimmer Fredette's girlfriend.

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    not exactly on topic, but i was getting my nba fix last night watching hardwood classics. the great, tragic 1984 Finals game 4 between the lakers and the celtics (hint: kurt rambis horse-collared; did not end well for the GOOD guys). but it got me to wondering: what NBA team has had the greatest collection of individual talent? Not the best team, but the best players? think about this lineup:
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, still playing well
    Magic Johnson, at his peak
    James Worthy, second year
    Michael Cooper
    Rambis (actually, surprisingly good rebounder and outlet passer)
    coming off the bench:
    bob mcadoo in his dotage
    Jamal wilkes
    Swen nater
    Byron Scott

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Really losing hope that there will be a season this year. :fu:

14. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I just can't get too worked up over a fight between a bunch of millionaires and some billionaires.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

The thing is, not every basketball player are millionaires, some are even forced to moving back home to their parents home. Plus it isn't just the players and owners being affected, a lot of jobs are gone in arenas and those assistant coaches, physical therapist, etc... are also all out of jobs. Those guys doesn't make much compared to the big stars, heck even compared to the bench players. So if there is no season, a lot of those people will pretty much lose a years worth of salary.

Most importantly, the fans just wants to see it get it over with so we can start seeing some basketball games again.